U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
Reputation: 2129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
I don't care much what happened in the Civil War, 150 years ago.

Your senator, Mitch McConnell, said in the U.S. Senate yesterday that the money paid back by Wall Street firms should go to the U.S. Treasury, and not to public works stimulus funds to help those unemployed.

Kentucky is one of the most impoverished states in the union. Why do you keep re-electing such right-wing jerks as McConnell?
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? That has nothing to do with this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM
 
54 posts, read 141,350 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
I don't care much what happened in the Civil War, 150 years ago.

Your senator, Mitch McConnell, said in the U.S. Senate yesterday that the money paid back by Wall Street firms should go to the U.S. Treasury, and not to public works stimulus funds to help those unemployed.

Kentucky is one of the most impoverished states in the union. Why do you keep re-electing such right-wing jerks as McConnell?
Why do leftists continue to bankrupt state after state by introducing worthless social programs? I will never apologize for believing every single person in this country can make something of themselves if only they truly wanted to. The sad fact of the matter is that many people do not want to. I am pretty sure that all the other "right-wing jerks" feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
 
6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Reputation: 4724
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Even after living in Southeast Kentucky, I always thought Kentucky should be a Midwestern state. Doesn't matter what accent you have, it wasn't part of the Confederacy, therefore, not Southern. Everyone might as well be yankees. I'm from Mississippi and hearing Kentucky claim to be Southern is like Missouri saying it's Southern. Not happening.
Amen!!! As far as I am concerned, KY should be proud of its border state heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
 
301 posts, read 1,266,446 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Amen!!! As far as I am concerned, KY should be proud of its border state heritage.
Correction Kentucky is a Southern state and we are proud of our Southern heritage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,742,495 times
Reputation: 10164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Kentucky is one of the most impoverished states in the union. Why do you keep re-electing such right-wing jerks as McConnell?

Because southern society teaches it's working class to be servile and far too many take the lesson. I think this is a lingering result of slavery and it's social system.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 12-12-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
 
48 posts, read 120,400 times
Reputation: 47
Politics are purely about political careers. The best one can do is to ignore the talking heads and politicians. Their vision reaches no further than their stomach. One thing they cannot have from me is one second of my attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
 
48 posts, read 120,400 times
Reputation: 47
Remember there were 13 stars on the battle flag. One of those stars was for Kentucky and another star was for Missouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Murray, KY
180 posts, read 538,506 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Because southern society teaches it's working class to be servile and far too many take the lesson. I think this is a lingering result of slavery and it's social system.

Is that so? Got some proof for that claim because I would love to see that. I use to be an active member of the "working class" of Kentucky and I never heard that term or anything like it.

I want proof now, not opinion. Documentation that can settle the case that this is in fact being "taught", as you say, to Kentucky's working class.

For the record, I wish McConnell would jump off a bridge without a parachute. He's a useless piece of garbage in our government plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2009, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Lexington, KY area
18 posts, read 36,438 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by klwilson 60 View Post
Gotta say, I am new here and the idea of someone saying they are from 'northern' Kentucky instead of just Kentucky strikes me as odd. I live in Orlando but I don't say I am from 'central' Florida, just Florida. Then if someone asks where in Florida, I would narrow it down(or just say next to Mickey, that's what most people think Orlando is anyway).

I am in this forum because I am considering moving to Kentucky--Lexington, Louisville or Covington for work--and I have family--or used to, they are getting older--on the west side of the state--Princeton. But my agency isn't hiring over there that I've seen. This thread explains why my dad and his family all think they are Rebels when the state is actually Yankee in the history books. (I also spent a lot of time in Mississippi, where the war is not over, thanks to my dad's military career.) Dad never would give me a straight answer!

HAHA..I have been here for 15 year and never quite knew why people said they were or were not from "northern" KY. I just shrugged it off and thought they were weird, because I never realized the debate...no offense to anyone, I just didn't know! I know that KY consideres itself to be southern, but I don't see it as such...unless, you are in the very southern part of the state or the with the mountain folk. Calling anywhere in Louisville southern is just weird for me...I disagree. Just because you have some groups with southern accents doesn't make for a southern state..JMHO

If I had the choice of which place to live, I would choose Louisville, just because I find it quite boring in Lexington and don't particularly like Covington. I think L'ville is a pretty safe city, in most parts, but I would be more skeptical of a larger aea of Cincy. I find that there are always traffic problems near river cities, as there is nowhere to redirect traffic! It really can be a nightmare...I know the L'ville area the best and if there is a wreck on the interstate, forget it! You will be stuck for hours pretty much...I am sure the greater Cincy area is the same...ugh. In saying that though, it wouldn't compare to places like Tampa and parts of Orlando either, so I am sure you will like any of the places you choose

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 AM
 
48 posts, read 120,400 times
Reputation: 47
Kentucky was and still remains a border state. In that respect, one would find alot of its residents to not be "yankees". Cincy is everything yankee, with its underground railroad museum etc., but once you cross the Roebling bridge, you really do cross a border as far as political character. I just wish Kentucky would be as southern as the others as far as "warmer" weather. It's still so cold compared to the deep south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top