U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,870 times

Advertisements

I am a small town girl that would apparently be considered a yankee to the people in KY & apparently not welcome to relocate to your beautiful state. This is very sad to me as on a road trip with my family I found KY to be extremely peaceful, attractive & friendly. I was brought up not to judge anybody & treat everyone kindly unless they mistreated me or my family. If someone from KY moved into my neighborhood I would welcome you into my neighborhood, might even bake something for you & would invite your family over for a cookout. You would even be included in a neighborhood cookout. I'm a educated white woman who's lived a very respectable life, yet I'm amazed at how many people in this world don't like me who haven't even met me. Muslims don't like me because I'm American, Rednecks don't like me because I was born & bred in the north, Black people don't like me because of slavery, Hawians don't like me because they didn't want to be part of the US, Religions don't like me because I don't practice their religion, White men don't like me taking their jobs, etc... I'm in my early 40's & wasn't even alive for most of these events. The funny thing is my children always planned to move to the south & my husband & I have thought about it too. I guess we should stay in our friendly neighborhood & will continue to welcome everyone! It's sad that grudges can be held through generations & I truly hope my children & grandchildren don't ever hold any ill feelings about anything because of something I felt! Yes, I want them to have pride in themselves, their families & their heritages, but both sets of my grandparents came over on boats. They didn't try to change the American way, they just wanted to live the American way! They learned to speak the English language & became American citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Happylivin, I'm not quite sure what to make of your post. You seem to be very, very sensitive to others' supposedly judgemental and negative views of you - are you really sure that all these various people dislike you so much, and for many different irrational reasons?? I am sorry you seem to feel so much pain from this.

As for your conjecture that you'll be disliked because you are a "Yankee" if you and your family move to Kentucky, it appears to me that you may be using selective judgement on this one, based on various posts here. Please do not condemn an entire state's populace on the basis of what you read here! Posters tend to be more outspoken online, where anonymity reigns, than in real life, where the constraints of getting along with others peaceably help keep things smooth and mouths shut. It may be that some feel they may not have as much in common with northerners as they do southerners, but you certainly would not be rejected here due to your place of origin or previous residence.

Now, if you come into a new Kentucky community constantly talking about how things were so much better where you used to live than in Kentucky...that's another matter. You can find lots of examples of this on these forums, with predictable responses from proud Kentuckians. That sort of thing isn't courteous, tactful, or welcome. However, if after a reasonable period of residence in Kentucky, someone enthusiastically and tactfully offers an idea and their own efforts for improvement in some area or another, that's a different. Such positive suggestions are generally well-received.

For what it's worth, I am a native Kentuckian and have lived most of my life here. People here are generally very pleasant and courteous to new acquaintances, but can be a little reserved when it comes to forming closer relationships with newcomers. Don't take such reserve as a personal rejection - it has far more to do with "the natives"' habit of slowly getting to know new folks rather than jumping right into close friendships than it does with you, yourself. Your ideas for inviting newcomers to neighborhood gatherings are great, btw.

It may take time. But if you're pleasant and courteous to those whom you meet on a day-to-day basis, you can expect to be treated similarly 99% of the time. It sounds as if you're a very welcoming and hospitable person. That's great, and will serve you well should you decide to move to Kentucky.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,870 times
CraigCreek, I'm really not a very sensitive person. I figure as long as I am happy with & respect the person I am, than I'm good. I've just recently been hearing how disliked northerners are in the south & then came across this forum & I am amazed. BTW I mostly heard from people I know who live in KY & TN that I wouldn't be welcome by the natives. It is very nice to read your post & know that those of us who don't intend to change things or cause any issues anywhere could possibly fit in by just be friendly. I love people & interacting with them & always heard about southern hospitality. I felt I encountered that when on vacation. It sounds as though you may be a person who possesses these qualities also. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,100 times
Have anyone of you been to kentucky? Yes, it has alot of Yankees from Ohio and Indiana and other states. But the native people are not Yankees. During the Civil War, Union soldiers from the state hated it when refered to has Yankees, they were Southern-Unionist. Militraily it was a vorder state, but always georgraphically a southern state--we have the center star on the Confederate Flag. We also have two military bases in KY-Ft. knox and Ft. campbell, who draws yankees to stay here. Our accents are southern and our way of life is southern. Get over it!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
I moved to Northern Kentucky from Central Kentucky and I can tell you it is MUCH more like Ohio than Kentucky when compared to where I grew up. Younger generations in Northern Kentucky do not consider themselves southern and don't want to be associated with the negative notions that come with being southern.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:25 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,731,216 times
Well if you consider northern Kentucky to be just the "three" counties up at the top of the state "Kenton, Boone and Campbell" I guess I could kinda see what they mean in a way. However, I also know that this area traditionally was alot more like the rest of the Kentucky in the past. I've heard from many that their are alot of transplants from Ohio and other areas of the U.S. living in those counties these days and it has contributed to a change in character "somewhat" of those three counties.

However, on a personal note. I have a cousin who was born and raised in northern Kentucky. He was born in Covington but he grew up down river a bit in Campbell county, very close to the Ohio river. Anyways, he has a Kentucky accent, albeit not as heavy as the rest of the family but you can hear it in the way he talks. To me he kinda has a bit of that northern Kentucky accent, which is still a bit southern, just a tad lighter. I mean, to be honest he could fit anywhere in Kentucky really.

I also have a friend, a musician friend on another forum. She's from Boone county Kentucky born and raised. Anyways, I've heard her speak in some of the music videos that she's made and her accent is very similar to my cousins. However, i'd assume, within the city of Covington or Newport, you might not hear an accent as much. But, my goodness, even in Nashville and Atlanta you'd be suprised out how many folks "don't" have an accent either. They are large urban areas so they've mixed more.

I have a few friends ( ironically they live in Louisville ) husband and wife. Hubby is from Owen county, wife is from Carroll county on the river. They have a what I'd call a very typical Kentucky style southern accent, no different from alot of accents you hear in Kentucky.

Look, take a little drive and leave Kenton or Boone county and cross over into Grant, Gallatin or Pendleton county and you'll quickly get a reminder that you're still in Kentucky, believe me!

The Civil War to me in many ways is more political than cultural. Read up on your Kentucky history. Don't understimate the "southern sympathies" of MANY in northern Kentucky during the civil war. One of the reasons the Confederate army was able to get so close to Covington was because they had ALOT of help on their march and journey through central and northern Kentucky through southern sympathizers to get there ( I heard a man from UK give a lecture on this ) it's very interesting. This same man during his lecture also said that the Union army had great difficulties at times getting recruits in many parts of Kentucky as well.

Besides, Kentucky DID officially have a secessionist gov't, although the state was basically divided. However MANY Kentuckians, even northern Kentuckians, even though they may have opposed leaving the union they DID symapthize with the grievances of the states that did and were very opposed to what many dubbed as "Lincoln's War" Also, many Kentuckians were angered when Lincoln sent in the Union army. Let's not forget, Ky's official stance was one of "neutrality" however, due to it's strategic importance, rather short lived.

So, I think northern Kentucky is still part of the south, but I think it's also rapidly becoming a more urbanized area and is in many ways now a bedroom community of Cinncinnati across the river. Lot's of Ohioans are attracted to the cheaper living and buying up homes and properties over there and this, combined with folks from other parts of Ohio, Indiana and the U.S. it's only natural that this is going to erode somewhat the traditional demographics of the three counties.

However at it's heart, northern Kentucky is one of the northernmost parts of the south that's changing just like alot of areas and due to approximity to midwestern states, has a bit of that influence. This is my opinion about it.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,500,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Even after living in Southeast Kentucky, I always thought Kentucky should be a Midwestern state. Doesn't matter what accent you have, it wasn't part of the Confederacy, therefore, not Southern. Everyone might as well be yankees. I'm from Mississippi and hearing Kentucky claim to be Southern is like Missouri saying it's Southern. Not happening.
The problem I see with this is that I'm not sure whether or not an area or state is Southern necessarily depends on whether or not the majority of its people wanted to stay in the Union or secede. I am under the impression that the North/South divide existed long before the Civil War and is what made it possible. Some people seem to think the Civil War caused that divide, and I don't think that is true.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:06 AM

5,069 posts, read 4,098,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Even after living in Southeast Kentucky, I always thought Kentucky should be a Midwestern state. Doesn't matter what accent you have, it wasn't part of the Confederacy, therefore, not Southern. Everyone might as well be yankees. I'm from Mississippi and hearing Kentucky claim to be Southern is like Missouri saying it's Southern. Not happening.
Enough said.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:36 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,915,971 times
Northern Kentucky is one part of Kentucky that is way more Midwestern than Southern because of all the Ohio and Indiana transplants that live and work in the Cincinnati area. Kentucky in general is a southern state with an Appalachian culture that is similar to culture in PA and OH and WV which is not southern states.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,731,216 times
You know, here in Argentina, they call ALL americans "Yanquis" or "yankees" regardless of where in thge US you're from LOL.

Uk Wildcat hit a homerun I think with his comment, EXCEPT for, I think Kentucky's appalchian culture is the same as central, southern and the western part of WV but NE WV up closer to Penn is a bit different IMHO. Southern Ohio? Yes, I'd say around Jackson Oh, Athens, Chillcothe, up towards Marietta OH a bit, yes. However, I still think Ky's mountain culture is more like east Tenn, SW Virginia and western NC than Pennsylvania IMHO......

Penn is more like NY and heading up towards the NE. This I know because I lived in Pennsylvania once for about 4 months, its VERY diff from eastern Kentucky in my opinion. Sure its hilly and it has coal and its somewhat impoverished, but it's still very different.

now we can close the thread right? LOL..

By the way, I had a cousin and her husband up in Indy....at a UK game? Who was Uk playing up there recently? She mentioned something about it on facebook LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or