U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:51 AM

3 posts, read 2,831 times

Advertisements

Spencer county right here we do call folks in northern KY Yankees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:42 PM

1,818 posts, read 716,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caintuck View Post
Kentucky was neutral during the civil war. Both presidents were from Kentucky, Lincoln and Davis. Davis while a congressman from Mississippi voted against going to war with the Union. While Sec. of War he built the war machine that the Union used during the Civil War. The Union closed the river north of Paducah, the Confederates closed the river south of Columbus. Kentucky conscripted its own Home Guard to keep out the Union and Confederate armies. My mother's family hid in the woods with their cows, pigs and chickens because the soldiers took everything they could lay their hands on,,it didnt matter whose side they were on. Kentuckians had to fight everyone north south and home guard, thats why they are so tribal. Take care all. C
While Secretary of War Secretary of War Jefferson Davis did transfer large quantity of weapons and other supplies to armories and bases in the South where they could be easily captured by the South when secession came. Failure to stop this was one reason why President Buchanan was considered to have been a very weak President.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:17 PM

425 posts, read 294,063 times
I would not characterize NKY to be Yankee, as that term applies to a small region of the United States in the Northeast. Midwesterners can be Northern, but you would be hard pressed to find many Midwesterners call themselves a Yankee. Although, I know in the Southern states, people consider anything north of the traditional South is considered Yankee territory.

To me NKY is more Midwestern than Southern. Its very much connected to Cincinnati (same metro, sports teams, news channels). The culture is much more similar to Cincinnati than it is to the rest of of Kentucky. I will say this though, there are a lot of southern influences, but compared to the rest of KY, it just seems different. Now drive down I75 and once you hit Grant County you will start to notice that you are no longer in Ohio! The change in culture is rather abrupt.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,845,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I will tell you that being from Northern Illinois (and living in KY for a year and a half as well as visting many times) most people here consider everyone in Kentucky to be southerners. (I am not saying that is right or wrong.) I dont think very many people in Northern Illinois and most of the Midwest would call Northern KY people Yankees by any means.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth...

I do know Civil War history and as other posters have pointed out, that could be the origin of such blanket claims.
That's because most of them are ignorant to the dynamic that exists between the greater Ohio area and the rest of Kentucky.

Heck, many people in Chicago consider Cincinnati the South but that's just because they're idiots.

NKY are my Midwestern brethren.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My new supervisor is from Evansville IN, she could convince me that she was from Minnesota or Iowa. Classic Midwestern accent and mannerisms.
The Minnesota accent is very limited to MN, WI, and ND. Few elsewhere in the Midwest talk that way.

Cincinnati has a more "typical Midwest" accent AKA General American AKA "no accent" AKA Midland.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I am curious about something. Do native Cincinnatians sound like people from natives from Northern Kentucky (Covington, Newport, etc.)? Or does the accent change once you cross the river?

When I worked in Columbus, I met a lot people from south of Columbus (Chillicothe, Jackson) and they had a slight drawl.
No one in any part of Ohio has any sort of drawl. Same in Northern Kentucky. That is just a typical Midwest accent which to many Northern people sounds twangy. But as far are drawling out vowels like cat being pronounced "cayut" or man said as "main", that doesn't happen until you get to around Lexington.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I not sure why the Northern part of Kentucky is always criticized on here for being Northern or yankee in culture, speech, etc in these forums on city data. I have not been accused of being a yankee because I am from the Northern part of Kentucky. It is for whatever reason only on this website that we are told we are yankees and not at all like the rest of the state mostly from people that aren't even from here!

Well, I would like you to hear from someone who actually lives in Northern Kentucky and can help set the record straight. We do as the rest of the state consider ourselves to Southerners. The Northern Kentucky for the most part is very rurual as much of the South. Many of us speak with a Southern twang as do many people in the rest of the state. Yes that is right, many here speak with a Southern accent. I hear a Southern accent very often here if not everyday. Many who are not from here won't believe me, but it's true!

Many of us like the rest of the South go to church on a regular basis. If you look at our voting records for our city here in Northern Kentucky, we vote Republican as does most of the South. We value family, having good manners and trying to treat people right. For the most part, people you come in contact with here are friendly and very nice. Is everyone, of course not, but that is true with any place even in the deep South.

Many of us would consider ourselves Cincinnatians due to how close we are to Cincinnati. However, Northern Kentuckians are Kentuckians first and Cincinnatians second if that. Some of us don't consider ourselves Cincinnatians at all. I am one of those people who does not consider myself to be from Cincinnati at all. I am from Kentucky and am very thankful to live in Kentucky. It is true that when you cross the river into KY are really are in another state with another culture that is very different than Cincinnati.

People that transfer here come from everywhere including Ohio. People come here from the Midwest and also from other parts of the South.

I don't know why, but it is mostly people from Louisville who question our part of the state being Southern. In fact, I have never heard anyone from Lexington say that about us. I would think given Louisville's geographical area and fact that they also get accused of not being Southern would understand that we are also not yankees. Is Northern Kentucky influenced by the Midwest, absolutely, but so is Louisville as well as other parts of Kentucky!

I don't care what anyone says on here. The Northern part of Kentucky is part of the South and is still an important part of Kentucky. Period.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Northern Kentucky is the least Southern region of the state. Even Louisville is more Southern. Northern Kentucky may be Republican but unlike Louisville it leans more Catholic than Southern Baptist. The accent is also not there. Northern Kentucky people are the first to reject being truly Kentuckian. Even Louisville can't make that claim because of bourbon, the derby, and origins of some Southern culture like the mint julep and also the very old money Preppy culture of the East End. Louisville's culture is way, way more Southern than Northern Kentucky. It borders a Southern cultural region of Indiana unlike NKY that borders a very proud MIDWESTERN city of Cincinnati.

Louisville may be the least Southern big city in Kentucky but it is miles more Southern than anything in Northern Kentucky.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin419 View Post
Hi, historically speaking, Kentucky is a Southern state. It was a border state during the civil war. Like in the other border states, such as West Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and Missouri, Kentucky remained neutral, and yet true to the union, on the condition that the union left slavery alone in those states. Kentucky IS a southern state, geographically (even if you go North of Kentucky, to say Southern Ohio, Cincinatti, or even southern Indiana, they speak like Southerners and those are Northern states!) and even culturally, however it wasn't a renegade state that was part of the confederacy. Interestingly enough, both Civil War presidents, Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were born in Kentucky. One could argue that Kentucky is a mixture of North and South, but I still consider anyone from Kentucky to be a Southerner. Cheers.
What the hell are you talking about. They don't even speak like Southerners in Northern Kentucky so how could anyone in Cincy speak like a Southerner? Do people in Pennsylvania also have Southern accents to by your logic?

Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
To me the difference btw Louisville & NKY is that L'ville has very close ties to South Central & Western KY (the most Southern parts of the state) while most people from NKY moved there from Ohio. I agree that the east side of L'ville is pretty similar to NKY, but there is nothing in NKY like Valley Station, Pleasure Ridge Park, or Okolona - those places are as Southern culturally as anywhere in the Atlanta or Birmingham metro areas.
Wrong. The East Side of Louisville is one of the MOST culturally Southern regions of the city. The preppy debuttante culture, the affinity for horses, the accent, the old money mentality, and the overwhelming amount of "good Ole boy" attitudes of the residents.

The South End more resembles the Midwest via its Rust Belt-esque feel, its suburban sprawl, and the fact that most of the "true Kentucky " culture is virtually absent from that region of the city. It has that blue collar vibe that is more reminiscent of Appalachia and Southern Ohio and the Great Lakes than it is of the South. Not to say the South End is fully Midwestern. You still hear drawls there just like on the East End.

Generally if it is inside of the Watterson it is more Midwest leaning and if it is outside of the Watterson it is more Southern leaning no matter what end of town you're in.

But to say that the pinnacle of Southern culture is on the South End is way off. If anything the East End is the most Southern culturally due to its affinity of separating itself from the rest of the city and being isolated from Indiana.

The South End being poorer does not make it more Southern. Generally Southern culture in Louisville follows a half circle/crescent. If it is closer to downtown it is less South in culture. But even then it is iffy. Probably the least Southern regions of Louisville would be the Highlands (but not even all of the Highlands just closer to Goss because even some areas by Cherokee Triangle are very Southern culturally in the isolationist old money way). I would say Germantown and Schnitzelburg are the most Midwest influenced parts of town.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
The difference is NKY is located across the river from a major Midwestern city, Cincinnati, and therefore is influenced by more midwestern values. Louisville is the bigger city across the river, in the South, and Southern Indiana is influenced by Louisville's culture. I am not saying Louisville is 100% southern, but it definitely has a more southern feel, in terms of more people here have drawls. You can drive in Indiana northward for quite a while and still pick up on some southern drawls, I don't think you will here that many people in Cincy or anywhere northward with a drawl, unless they moved there from somewhere else. We are also in closer proximity to Southern Kentucky and Nashville, which i think helps people see that Louisville is probably geographically and culturally more Southern. I have not driven through a lot of NKY but to me, i couldn't tell the difference between NKY and another Cincy suburb like Hamilton or the Montgomery Rd. area. I don't really know what the bridge thing has to do with being southern, but NKY does have a Dixie Hwy like Louisville. The only way i could see Louisville being culturally like NKY is if you only looked at the east end, because it does remind me somewhat of NKY just because it is suburbia, and that kind of thing can be found in any metro area, but southern Jefferson County and surrounding areas are very much southern, and even living in Louisville, I notice a difference in the culture of Louisville when I drive to different parts of the city.
If the East End is suburbia what the hell is the South End? It resembles Midwestern suburbia more than the East End does anyway. Heck the South End has MORE of a MIDWEST suburbia feel due to the heavy industry.

Everything else you said though is true. Louisville's culture influences Southern Indiana just like Cincinnati's influences NKY. Oh well. Live with it, Midwest haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or