U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:19 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times

Advertisements

Many things feel southern to me as I moved to the Louisville area from Wisconsin (not a native of that state). I find one of the aspects that is "too southern" for my preferences is the overall climate. I find the 75-80F low temperatures that have occurred so many times this summer to be just about intolerable, worse than some other areas of the South. (I'm used to 76-86F high temperatures in the summer, lived in Madison, WI area for years).
In terms of culture, it is a hybrid of the South, Appalachia, and the Midwest mixed together. In terms of the built environment, the suburban East End of Louisville with its corporate office parks (Middletown, St. Matthews area), doesn't feel that different compared to areas of St. Louis or Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,845,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Many things feel southern to me as I moved to the Louisville area from Wisconsin (not a native of that state). I find one of the aspects that is "too southern" for my preferences is the overall climate. I find the 75-80F low temperatures that have occurred so many times this summer to be just about intolerable, worse than some other areas of the South. (I'm used to 76-86F high temperatures in the summer, lived in Madison, WI area for years).
In terms of culture, it is a hybrid of the South, Appalachia, and the Midwest mixed together. In terms of the built environment, the suburban East End of Louisville with its corporate office parks (Middletown, St. Matthews area), doesn't feel that different compared to areas of St. Louis or Kansas City.
That aspect of the East End you refer to is seen all over Louisville and even more on the South End.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That aspect of the East End you refer to is seen all over Louisville and even more on the South End.
Right, that is a more generic comparison, but I will stand by my other comments. Louisville, it has been documented, has one of the worst urban heat islands of any metro area in the country, and that does make the summer even worse. It has been indicated that the city needs at least 200,000 additional trees to make a dent in the heat island.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:29 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 27 days ago)

9,833 posts, read 21,142,259 times
I actually think Northern Kentucky feels less Southern than parts of Cincinnati because the thousands of people from rural Kentucky to move up there tended to bypass NKY and instead move in certain parts of the Ohio side, like Carthage / Lockland, Norwood, Hamilton, and Middletown. There are still neighborhoods in those places where many people are 1st or 2nd generation in Ohio and retain a lot of Southern culture. But the overwhelming percent of people in Greater Cincinnati are totally Midwestern in accent and culture.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I actually think Northern Kentucky feels less Southern than parts of Cincinnati because the thousands of people from rural Kentucky to move up there tended to bypass NKY and instead move in certain parts of the Ohio side, like Carthage / Lockland, Norwood, Hamilton, and Middletown. There are still neighborhoods in those places where many people are 1st or 2nd generation in Ohio and retain a lot of Southern culture. But the overwhelming percent of people in Greater Cincinnati are totally Midwestern in accent and culture.
And if Cincinnati doesn't feel Southern imagine how much less Southern that makes it!

And Granite Stater, I agree on how hot Louisville is. Compound that with the fact it sits 300 or so feet below the knobs around it and the fact that the humid air gets trapped there more and you have a recipe for a hellish summer.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
And if Cincinnati doesn't feel Southern imagine how much less Southern that makes it!

And Granite Stater, I agree on how hot Louisville is. Compound that with the fact it sits 300 or so feet below the knobs around it and the fact that the humid air gets trapped there more and you have a recipe for a hellish summer.
The elevation difference is about 600ft. Elevation is between 400-420ft by the river and over 1,000ft in portions of the Knobs. The highest point in Clark County, IN is 1,024ft, just to the north of the junction of N Skyline Dr and Dug Knob Rd- right on top of the Floyd County line.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The elevation difference is about 600ft. Elevation is between 400-420ft by the river and over 1,000ft in portions of the Knobs. The highest point in Clark County, IN is 1,024ft, just to the north of the junction of N Skyline Dr and Dug Knob Rd- right on top of the Floyd County line.
Oh LORT that is significant. I had no idea it sat that low.

I also feel like it sits lower than Cincinnati. For some reason up around the NKY portion it feels like I drive uphill on 71.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:03 AM

6,986 posts, read 3,999,263 times
Northern Kentucky may "feel" very Southern right now, because it's summer, just wait till
Winter hits, it will feel much more Midwestern!

Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Oh LORT that is significant. I had no idea it sat that low.

I also feel like it sits lower than Cincinnati. For some reason up around the NKY portion it feels like I drive uphill on 71.
Correct. Cincinnati International Airport in Boone County, KY west of I-71 is 869ft elevation according to the Automatic Weather Observation Station there.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Northern Kentucky may "feel" very Southern right now, because it's summer, just wait till
Winter hits, it will feel much more Midwestern!
NKY has the coldest winters and also more ice storms than the rest of the state.

It is also the most German region of KY and Germans are the quintessential Midwest ethnic group. It is so German that Hofbrauhaus has one of its few locations in Newport. The rest of Kentucky isn't nearly as German and leans more to British Isles influenced (may also be why the accent is different in the rest of Kentucky where you can hear the British influence much stronger)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or