Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,047 times

Advertisements

From my perspective Northern KY, which is commonly defined as Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Counties, is considered sort of the red headed stepchild of KY because these places are suburbs of Cincy, therefor a more northern and urban (well, that changes in the more rural areas). Culturally and linguistically the older towns along the river and the suburban areas up over the hills are more like Cincy than they are like the rest of the state.

I dont think its just some historical memory of Civil War divisions, but something more to do with being part of a an Ohio-based metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:27 PM

58 posts, read 140,630 times
Our experience as Northern Kentuckians moving south:

I was born and bred in Northern Kentucky. Lived there for 35 years until we moved one county south looking for a more relaxed lifestyle. We were told we were considered "transplants" by one native, and although most people were friendly on an acquaintance-only basis, we were very obviously excluded. We have lived here for close to 13 years now, and were it not for my children attending and doing well in the local school system, we would be gone. Luckily, we do not live far from our old community, and are able to maintain social contacts there with relatives and old friends.

We are not the only ones who have had this experience; several of our neighbors have moved here from other counties, states, etc. and have commented on the same thing. As a matter of fact, many of these people have moved away again due to the unwillingness of the community to accept "outsiders", no matter how involved in community matters the outsider might be. One woman I know has lived in several places all over the USA due to her husband's occupation, and she has made it very clear that this is the most closed community that she has ever experienced. Her family will be moving again soon, and she admits that although a move is always hard, she is looking forward to the change.

I don't know what the rest of Kentucky is like, having never lived there (although I feel a strong connection to Wolfe County since my grandparents were born and lived there for many years before moving to the Northern Kentucky area), but I wonder if people in smaller communities are always wary of those who come from other places. I know we have certainly felt the stigma of being from Northern Kentucky.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokygirl View Post

I was born and bred in Northern Kentucky. Lived there for 35 years until we moved one county south looking for a more relaxed lifestyle. We were told we were considered "transplants" by one native, and although most people were friendly on an acquaintance-only basis, we were very obviously excluded. We have lived here for close to 13 years now, and were it not for my children attending and doing well in the local school system, we would be gone. Luckily, we do not live far from our old community, and are able to maintain social contacts there with relatives and old friends.

We are not the only ones who have had this experience; several of our neighbors have moved here from other counties, states, etc. and have commented on the same thing. As a matter of fact, many of these people have moved away again due to the unwillingness of the community to accept "outsiders", no matter how involved in community matters the outsider might be. One woman I know has lived in several places all over the USA due to her husband's occupation, and she has made it very clear that this is the most closed community that she has ever experienced. Her family will be moving again soon, and she admits that although a move is always hard, she is looking forward to the change.

I don't know what the rest of Kentucky is like, having never lived there (although I feel a strong connection to Wolfe County since my grandparents were born and lived there for many years before moving to the Northern Kentucky area), but I wonder if people in smaller communities are always wary of those who come from other places. I know we have certainly felt the stigma of being from Northern Kentucky.
What part do you live in? I am a transplant from Cleveland to Louisville and love it here. I think you get out what you put in, if you try and change the people here and make them think you are better then them, they won't be accepting. You have to be accepting of them and their culture for them to accept you as a member of their community. I'm not saying you have or have not done this, but from experience, I have learned that people here in Louisville don't like when other people come in and try to make it like their city they came from, and I have come to appreciate that. You just have to adapt, but I do think some people just don't click with the community they live in, that happened to me in Buffalo, NY. I just didn't feel like part of the community even though I had friends there. It just didn't feel right living there.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
What part do you live in? I am a transplant from Cleveland to Louisville and love it here. I think you get out what you put in, if you try and change the people here and make them think you are better then them, they won't be accepting. You have to be accepting of them and their culture for them to accept you as a member of their community. I'm not saying you have or have not done this, but from experience, I have learned that people here in Louisville don't like when other people come in and try to make it like their city they came from, and I have come to appreciate that. You just have to adapt, but I do think some people just don't click with the community they live in, that happened to me in Buffalo, NY. I just didn't feel like part of the community even though I had friends there. It just didn't feel right living there.
Amen!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM

We currently live about 45 minutes south of Cincinnati. I totally get what you are saying about moving somewhere and having a superior attitude or trying to change things. We didn't do either thing, though. We didn't want to change anything - we liked the slower pace, that was why we moved here in the first place - and we were ready to meet new people.

When we first moved here, I thought that we must have done something wrong. But over the years, I have seen newcomers treated the same way over and over again. Don't get me wrong; not every single person here is like that. There have been those who have been accepting of others no matter where they are from. My children, who have gone to school here since they were in kindergarten, are more readily accepted into the community. My husband has made several good friends due to his interest in archery. I have also managed to make a couple of good friends. But for the most part, I feel that we are treated as outsiders because of where we are from.

I think you are correct that sometimes people just don't click with a community. I definitely feel that way here, although I guess not as much as those who have moved away because of it. Since this isn't our experience only, maybe it's the community that doesn't click with others :-)

Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokygirl View Post

This behaviour is common in many smaller tight-knit communities. I've seen it happen time and time again back home and it happened to me when I moved up here. I just didn't pay too much attention to it. There are always going to be those who aren't comfortable accepting new people. Honestly, I just ignored it and went about my business. Life brought me here and I figure I have just as much right to be here as anybody else. Just be yourself and if people accept you then great and if they don't its their loss. We need to stop letting other people acceptance and approval define who we are.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
This behaviour is common in many smaller tight-knit communities. I've seen it happen time and time again back home and it happened to me when I moved up here. I just didn't pay too much attention to it. There are always going to be those who aren't comfortable accepting new people. Honestly, I just ignored it and went about my business. Life brought me here and I figure I have just as much right to be here as anybody else. Just be yourself and if people accept you then great and if they don't its their loss. We need to stop letting other people acceptance and approval define who we are.
You are so right. What a wonderful attitude to have! I have come around to that way of thinking after all of these years, but I wish I could have been as sure of my self back then as I am now...

So how do you like Alaska?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM

14 posts, read 67,309 times
Inbred people say a lot of crazy things. I think a lot of people aren't aware that the countries not divided anymore. If there was ever a time to rebel against your government that time would be now but I guess it would be a lot easier to act like your a part of something you weren't even alive for. Some towns in southern Ohio were almost entirely made up of Kentucky and Tennessee natives looking for work. My grandparents moved to NKY from Harlan because mining wasn't cutting it. I hear thick accents here and there but that doesn't really define southern.
YouTube - Footage of the Cincinnati Riots of 2001 Just listen to half the accents in that video. There's hillbilly towns in New York and every other state so that throws that arguement out the window. Everybody trying to say NKY really aint a part of Ky has no valid point. I'm southern by modern techniqualllity but a Kentuckian by choice.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards nose View Post
Inbred people say a lot of crazy things. I think a lot of people aren't aware that the countries not divided anymore. If there was ever a time to rebel against your government that time would be now but I guess it would be a lot easier to act like your a part of something you weren't even alive for. Some towns in southern Ohio were almost entirely made up of Kentucky and Tennessee natives looking for work. My grandparents moved to NKY from Harlan because mining wasn't cutting it. I hear thick accents here and there but that doesn't really define southern.
YouTube - Footage of the Cincinnati Riots of 2001 Just listen to half the accents in that video. There's hillbilly towns in New York and every other state so that throws that arguement out the window. Everybody trying to say NKY really aint a part of Ky has no valid point. I'm southern by modern techniqualllity but a Kentuckian by choice.
Ummm..... huh?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 AM

9 posts, read 33,051 times
Default Wazzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northfielder View Post
so I guess a 'poster' has to have zillions of POSTS to be viable, eh ?

my goodness, now we have cybersquatters and mind-readers that OWN the site ??

what's with the name-calling ?

the poster is not alone, his/her sentiment can be supported not only in KY but in GA, TN, and MS- I've certainly heard that crap before, so it's not a bunch of 'complaining northerners' who dream this stuff up
yourselves Christian's????? Wow, well, I am kissing all of Y'all, goodbye,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky