Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM

137 posts, read 448,329 times

Advertisements

I not sure why the Northern part of Kentucky is always criticized on here for being Northern or yankee in culture, speech, etc in these forums on city data. I have not been accused of being a yankee because I am from the Northern part of Kentucky. It is for whatever reason only on this website that we are told we are yankees and not at all like the rest of the state mostly from people that aren't even from here!

Well, I would like you to hear from someone who actually lives in Northern Kentucky and can help set the record straight. We do as the rest of the state consider ourselves to Southerners. The Northern Kentucky for the most part is very rurual as much of the South. Many of us speak with a Southern twang as do many people in the rest of the state. Yes that is right, many here speak with a Southern accent. I hear a Southern accent very often here if not everyday. Many who are not from here won't believe me, but it's true!

Many of us like the rest of the South go to church on a regular basis. If you look at our voting records for our city here in Northern Kentucky, we vote Republican as does most of the South. We value family, having good manners and trying to treat people right. For the most part, people you come in contact with here are friendly and very nice. Is everyone, of course not, but that is true with any place even in the deep South.

Many of us would consider ourselves Cincinnatians due to how close we are to Cincinnati. However, Northern Kentuckians are Kentuckians first and Cincinnatians second if that. Some of us don't consider ourselves Cincinnatians at all. I am one of those people who does not consider myself to be from Cincinnati at all. I am from Kentucky and am very thankful to live in Kentucky. It is true that when you cross the river into KY are really are in another state with another culture that is very different than Cincinnati.

People that transfer here come from everywhere including Ohio. People come here from the Midwest and also from other parts of the South.

I don't know why, but it is mostly people from Louisville who question our part of the state being Southern. In fact, I have never heard anyone from Lexington say that about us. I would think given Louisville's geographical area and fact that they also get accused of not being Southern would understand that we are also not yankees. Is Northern Kentucky influenced by the Midwest, absolutely, but so is Louisville as well as other parts of Kentucky!

I don't care what anyone says on here. The Northern part of Kentucky is part of the South and is still an important part of Kentucky. Period.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
You all know how I feel. Kentucky is Southern. Yes, all of it but in varying degrees. Are we AS Southern as say... Alabama or Mississippi? Heck no! But Southern none-the-less. Is Northern Kentucky as Southern as other areas of Kentucky? Probably not but they are still in the club by God!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times
WHO CARES WHO CARES WHO CARES!!!

The war has been long over. The vast majority of this country couldn't care less. Let it go. It's the stupid "north vs south" thinking is one reason as to why southerners are viewed as "backwards". Let it go.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 AM

137 posts, read 448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
You all know how I feel. Kentucky is Southern. Yes, all of it but in varying degrees. Are we AS Southern as say... Alabama or Mississippi? Heck no! But Southern none-the-less. Is Northern Kentucky as Southern as other areas of Kentucky? Probably not but they are still in the club by God!
I could not agree with you more! Well said Missymomof3!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I could not agree with you more! Well said Missymomof3!!!
Thank you very much

Old 01-24-2010, 07:46 AM

48 posts, read 139,486 times
Kentuckyguy--thanks for the reinforcement about there being a southern feeling in northern Kentucky. I am considering a move to Burlington (Boone County). . Crossing the Roebling bridge truly is a cultural border after all. Cinci is so provincial. Just look at the comical white hats that the Cinci police wear. I'm happy all that yankee nonsense has not worn off on northern Kentucky.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Location: During school I live on campus at MSU but was born and raised in Louisville, Ky.
11 posts, read 27,291 times
Wow people does it really matter, if you lean more towards the rural way of life you lean towards the rural way of life if you lean more towards the urban way of life you lean more towards the urban way of life. I grew up in Louisville, went to school in Murray Ky, and my girlfriend lives in Maysville, but her family is from falmouth and some now live in Florence, I have seen all parts and they are very different but in the same way they are alike because if you were born and raised in KY you will waste time on here and defend your' homeland. Being "southern" is a geographical way of life, If you have ever been through Mason county or anywhere north of Lexington you know that it is nothing but farmland and small towns untill maybe 15 miles before you get to Cinci...but anyways who cares? lol I mean really people

Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,557 times
there are just different attitudes in northern KY. Not only that but they don't serve sweet tea. That alone qualifies them as yankees!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 AM

48 posts, read 139,486 times
I think its still important to keep southern culture alive as I'm more comfortable living in an area where people care about being 'southern'. The idea that it doesn't matter makes me think of how the yankees whitewash and eradicate southern customs. I like northern Kentucky (except for the cold climate) and I hope its character and charm will not be overwhelmed by Cincinnati's demographics.

The blue blooded yankees were truly the original nazis. What they (Sherman etc.) did to the southern civilian (non-combative) population should never be forgotten. The Bonnie Blue flag as well as the Battle Flag represents all the southern americans who gave their lives for their country. 500,000 americans died (all together on both sides) in the Civil War because of yankee aggression. Andersonville is drilled into our heads yet we should always remember those yankee torture chambers like Camp Douglas, Pt. Lookout and Ft. Delaware. Saying it doesn't matter now truly dishonors all those who lost their lives.

You may think that this rambling discussion of northern vs. southern has nothing to do with cincinnati but actually its quite relevant with Kentucky being a border state and hopefully still having a southern influence. For example if you tour Fort Sumter, SC (of all places-the deep south) you actually get a northern perspective and from my point of view this is a real distortion and eradication of history. I hope that northern kentucky maintains its southern traditions as those customs seem to be attacked in other parts of the south.

So the attraction of northern kentucky is the idea that once you cross the Roebling bridge you truly cross cultural boundaries. The down side of the entire cincinnati area seems to be a lack of employment and industry to support the population base. Also, being in a cold climate in the middle of the heartland is not really aesthetic.

Last edited by sfabian; 02-18-2010 at 06:32 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 8,232 times
Hi, historically speaking, Kentucky is a Southern state. It was a border state during the civil war. Like in the other border states, such as West Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and Missouri, Kentucky remained neutral, and yet true to the union, on the condition that the union left slavery alone in those states. Kentucky IS a southern state, geographically (even if you go North of Kentucky, to say Southern Ohio, Cincinatti, or even southern Indiana, they speak like Southerners and those are Northern states!) and even culturally, however it wasn't a renegade state that was part of the confederacy. Interestingly enough, both Civil War presidents, Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were born in Kentucky. One could argue that Kentucky is a mixture of North and South, but I still consider anyone from Kentucky to be a Southerner. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky