Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl 07008 View Post
GROW UP MISSYMOM OF3. YOU ARE ACTING LIKE A CHILD. HOW IGNORANT CAN A PERSON BE?????? OMG! SICKENING! WE YANKEES HAVE A TON OF CASH, AND DO SPEND IT IN YOUR "REBEL" STATE, ONLY TO BOOST YOUR ECONOMY!!!!! YOU SHOULD BE KISSING OUR BUTTS! SO MUCH POVERTY IN KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!
wow get a sense of humor, you are being the stuck up ignorant one. obviously you are not mature enough to know missy is making a joke, its people like you who make us "rebels" not like you "yankees", oh wait, does that make me ignorant too for saying that? keep your "tons of cash" up north.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,784 times
I am a "Yankee" who lived in Henry County, KY for 4 years - 30 minutes to downtown Louisville, 60 minutes to downtown Cinci. Due to my hubby's job, we traveld ALL over Kentucky. I was always treated kindly. People bent over backwards to make sure everything was going ok with me when I'd be sitting alone waiting on my hubby. I'm counting the seconds until we can move back there. If and when we get back there, we're NEVER moving again!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
wow get a sense of humor, you are being the stuck up ignorant one. obviously you are not mature enough to know missy is making a joke, its people like you who make us "rebels" not like you "yankees", oh wait, does that make me ignorant too for saying that? keep your "tons of cash" up north.
Yeah baby! LOL

Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I am a "Yankee" who lived in Henry County, KY for 4 years - 30 minutes to downtown Louisville, 60 minutes to downtown Cinci. Due to my hubby's job, we traveld ALL over Kentucky. I was always treated kindly. People bent over backwards to make sure everything was going ok with me when I'd be sitting alone waiting on my hubby. I'm counting the seconds until we can move back there. If and when we get back there, we're NEVER moving again!
Now that sounds more like it. Come on back sweetie!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 AM

137 posts, read 448,329 times
Default Louisville and Northern Kentucky are the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I am very serious. The things census mentioned can be found pretty much anywhere like I said before and when you drive around nky and louisville there isn't much that is different. The suburbs are the same the schools are the same. It is a huge stretch to find things that are different and "southern" about louisvlle compared to other places. Missy I know you feel you are a southern belle and who am I to argue but your city is next door to indiana and someone from alabama or georgia would laugh at how much you try and convince others that this is a southern city. If it takes so much convincing it probably means that one it isn't obvious to others and possibly it just isn't what you want it to be. NKY and Louisville are very similar. Lexington has a different vibe than both and out of the three has a more southern feel than either of the others. Thanks for the insult as well...theres that southern hospitality again...would you like some sweet tea?
I agree with you Sandman concerning NKY and Louisville being so similar. Although I would say that I disagree in that I think both are influenced culturally by both the Midwest and the South. I also see NKY and Louisville as being southern culturally, socially, etc, but also Midwestern too in many ways as well.

Anyway, it kills me when people from Louisville try to convince others in this forum that they are so different than Northern Kentuckians, culturally, socially, etc. Louisville is located at the same place geographically (next to the Midwest). We both have a similar riverfront, a city on the river, historic riverboats that go down the Ohio River that look almost exactly the same, historic areas that have a southern feel and historic areas that date back before the Civil War that have been preserved. Our bridges that go across the Ohio River look similar if not the same. Northern Kentucky was also considered the "Gateway to the South" over in Cincinnati. Don't believe me? Visit Dixie Terminal in downtown Cincinnati which is where Kentuckians picked up train tickets and later bus tickets before traveling into NKY.

We both have immigrants that migrated from Appalachia, as well as Germany and Ireland. Newport for example was founded around the same time as Louisville, (although Cincinnati and Louisville were founded closer together). Both places held slaves until the Civil War was over. We also had a Derby here in town called the Latonia Derby (now Turfway) which was compriable to the Kentucky Derby back in the 1900's. In both places you will find some people have an accent and some don't. Both have similar suburbs and urban areas. The urban areas in both parts are unfortunately in decay, but are slowly being revitalized.

I challenge anyone to look into the history of these two areas and study them objectively regardless of which one you happen to live in or which city you favor. Go to these places, experience the culture, talk to the people, etc and you will most likely find there no difference between the two areas.

Last edited by Kentuckyguy; 04-18-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I agree with you Sandman concerning NKY and Louisville being so similar. Although I would say that I disagree in that I think both are influenced culturally by both the Midwest and the South. I also see NKY and Louisville as being southern culturally, socially, etc, but also Midwestern too in many ways as well.

Anyway, it kills me when people from Louisville try to convince others in this forum that they are so different than Northern Kentuckians, culturally, socially, etc. Louisville is located at the same place geographically (next to the Midwest). We both have a similar riverfront, a city on the river, historic riverboats that go down the Ohio River that look almost exactly the same, historic areas that have a southern feel and historic areas that date back before the Civil War that have been preserved. Our bridges that go across the Ohio River look similar if not the same. Northern Kentucky was also considered the "Gateway to the South" over in Cincinnati. Don't believe me? Visit Dixie Terminal in downtown Cincinnati which is where Kentuckians picked up train tickets and later bus tickets before traveling into NKY.

We both have immigrants that migrated from Appalachia, as well as Germany and Ireland. Newport for example was founded around the same time as Louisville, (although Cincinnati and Louisville were founded closer together). Both places held slaves until the Civil War was over. We also had a Derby here in town called the Latonia Derby (now Turfway) which was compriable to the Kentucky Derby back in the 1900's. In both places you will find some people have an accent and some don't. Both have similar suburbs and urban areas. The urban areas in both parts are unfortunately in decay, but are slowly being revitalized.

I challenge anyone to look into the history of these two areas and study them objectively regardless of which one you happen to live in or which city you favor. Go to these places, experience the culture, talk to the people, etc and you will most likely find there no difference between the two areas.
The difference is NKY is located across the river from a major Midwestern city, Cincinnati, and therefore is influenced by more midwestern values. Louisville is the bigger city across the river, in the South, and Southern Indiana is influenced by Louisville's culture. I am not saying Louisville is 100% southern, but it definitely has a more southern feel, in terms of more people here have drawls. You can drive in Indiana northward for quite a while and still pick up on some southern drawls, I don't think you will here that many people in Cincy or anywhere northward with a drawl, unless they moved there from somewhere else. We are also in closer proximity to Southern Kentucky and Nashville, which i think helps people see that Louisville is probably geographically and culturally more Southern. I have not driven through a lot of NKY but to me, i couldn't tell the difference between NKY and another Cincy suburb like Hamilton or the Montgomery Rd. area. I don't really know what the bridge thing has to do with being southern, but NKY does have a Dixie Hwy like Louisville. The only way i could see Louisville being culturally like NKY is if you only looked at the east end, because it does remind me somewhat of NKY just because it is suburbia, and that kind of thing can be found in any metro area, but southern Jefferson County and surrounding areas are very much southern, and even living in Louisville, I notice a difference in the culture of Louisville when I drive to different parts of the city.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 AM

137 posts, read 448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
The difference is NKY is located across the river from a major Midwestern city, Cincinnati, and therefore is influenced by more midwestern values. Louisville is the bigger city across the river, in the South, and Southern Indiana is influenced by Louisville's culture. I am not saying Louisville is 100% southern, but it definitely has a more southern feel, in terms of more people here have drawls. You can drive in Indiana northward for quite a while and still pick up on some southern drawls, I don't think you will here that many people in Cincy or anywhere northward with a drawl, unless they moved there from somewhere else. We are also in closer proximity to Southern Kentucky and Nashville, which i think helps people see that Louisville is probably geographically and culturally more Southern. I have not driven through a lot of NKY but to me, i couldn't tell the difference between NKY and another Cincy suburb like Hamilton or the Montgomery Rd. area. I don't really know what the bridge thing has to do with being southern, but NKY does have a Dixie Hwy like Louisville. The only way i could see Louisville being culturally like NKY is if you only looked at the east end, because it does remind me somewhat of NKY just because it is suburbia, and that kind of thing can be found in any metro area, but southern Jefferson County and surrounding areas are very much southern, and even living in Louisville, I notice a difference in the culture of Louisville when I drive to different parts of the city.
I can see what you are saying and you have some very good points. I guess my main point is that we are more alike, than different.
However, I also see the same things here in terms of some areas of a particular town or city being more southern than other parts. While downtown Covington and Newport are southern only slightly in terms of the culture IMO, areas like Indepedence, Alexandria, Union and Burlington feel very southern to me. I guess it depends on a persons perspective, I just really can't tell a difference between Lousiville and Northern Kentucky in terms of overall culture. I have also encountered many people here from the area that also have a southern drawl, like parts of Louisville. Well, thanks for chiming in and giving your opinion on your findings. Have a great day and God bless!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 PM

We are similar, and I think it is because we are both in metro areas with transplants from all over the country that make our cultures similar. Pretty much any larger metro area can say their culture is similar to another area, but there are a few differences that make each city or area unique.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 30,103 times
Gotta say, I am new here and the idea of someone saying they are from 'northern' Kentucky instead of just Kentucky strikes me as odd. I live in Orlando but I don't say I am from 'central' Florida, just Florida. Then if someone asks where in Florida, I would narrow it down(or just say next to Mickey, that's what most people think Orlando is anyway).

I am in this forum because I am considering moving to Kentucky--Lexington, Louisville or Covington for work--and I have family--or used to, they are getting older--on the west side of the state--Princeton. But my agency isn't hiring over there that I've seen. This thread explains why my dad and his family all think they are Rebels when the state is actually Yankee in the history books. (I also spent a lot of time in Mississippi, where the war is not over, thanks to my dad's military career.) Dad never would give me a straight answer!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 30,103 times
A fact of life in government DOES tie Kentucky and Ohio--the Cincinnati service center that people from all over send their tax returns to, is actually(or parts of it anyway) in Covington, KY--another place I might end up in due to work. Florence, specifically. I am guessing that Covington is pretty close to Cincy--never been there myself, yet. But that's one way northern Kentucky is tied to Ohio in actual fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky