U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 14,315 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are thinking of moving to KY and we want to know where we will fit in. we are from michigan and used to live down in TN but people absolutley hated us cause we were "yankees" we were nice and polite but it didnt do any good. i have heard northern KY is best but i want to live in a town under 50,000 people maybe really around 20,000 would be better we want to buy some land and build a house in the country but live some where we can still find work. so where is a good place/town for a yankee???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:00 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,818,161 times
My dear, anywhere you are in Kentucky is a good place. Yes, you may be teased about your accent, but I think we as a people are as good at accepting a newbie as any place on Earth. As another writer put it, in Kentucky we are very good a living and let live. If your bring your shoulder chips in, I am sure someone will oblige you and knock it off, but if you come in and live by the Golden Rule, you'll do just fine.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,315 times
Thank you so much for your kindness. I just hate how someone judges you before they even know you. I do not intend to try to change anything about the south I like how everything is already. Some people in Tennessee thought we were gonna try to implement our yankee ways on them. I am a country girl and I hate all the beurocrats. Especially in MI. Michigan has went so downhill I wouldnt want to try and bring that with me. I think the south is a great place to live its like the way all of America used to be back when it was in its Golden Years.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,968,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
My dear, anywhere you are in Kentucky is a good place. Yes, you may be teased about your accent, but I think we as a people are as good at accepting a newbie as any place on Earth. As another writer put it, in Kentucky we are very good a living and let live. If your bring your shoulder chips in, I am sure someone will oblige you and knock it off, but if you come in and live by the Golden Rule, you'll do just fine.
Well said. Thanks again Tom!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:17 AM

323 posts, read 990,043 times
I'm a "yankee" California transplant. I've been accepted everywhere here in Kentucky that I've lived so far. (I like small town living too!) I've lived in:
Lexington (too big for me personally!),
Richmond (getting too big for my taste),
Danville (nice quiet, historic town with cheap cost of living!!!),
Berea (very nice rural artsy town, cheap cost of living, easy commute to Lex)
Morehead (small college town in Appalachian Mountains - 1 hr drive to Lexington or 1 hr drive to Huntington, WV - LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT)

You might check into Ashland area (Boyd County) or Grayson area (Carter County) as well. Both are 30 minutes or less from Huntington, WV.

There are MANY great places in Kentucky that would be very welcoming to you (yankee accent or not) LOL but my above suggestions are the MUCH CHEAPER cost of living and housing/land prices than a lot of other places in Kentucky.

P.S. I lived for one year in Manistee, MI and thankfully LEFT last year, I'm so very happy to be back in Kentucky... I hope I never leave again!!!

So, on that note, Good luck and WELCOME to KENTUCKY!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:28 PM

104 posts, read 376,060 times
Default Come on down to Hoptown

We are right next door to Ft.Campbell (30,000 troops not counting dependents) You can stand in any grocery in Hopkinsville and hear virtually every language on the planet being spoken. Funny thing about those soldiers, they get deployed all over the world and seem to want to bring back women and little babies to Western Kentucky. Imagine that. Nobody would notice you here if you were a Martian. We are the ultimate melting pot.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 PM

459 posts, read 1,125,939 times
Wow! That's the first I've heard of someone moving South and actually feeling like they were "hated". Did that make you move back North?

Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 28,692 times
Frankfort is lovely. We have kids, and enjoy raising them here. Not too big, just small enough. I'm form the mountians, but it takes a special kind of person to be able to handle that area!! I'm certianly not ruling East KY. out, but be prepared if that's where you go. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about either location....PM me, if you'd like!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,515 times
Smile hope you like it here in KY

No matter where you live in Kentucky, you will be welcomed with open arms.I'm new to this posting thing as well as this site, so if you have already moved I hope you found what you were looking for. I myself Live in Louisville and I love it here...

Old 09-01-2007, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,401 times
If you're a Yankee, consider Northern Kentucky, Maysville is a great town little town, right on the river, so there's a ton of Northern influence, and only 45 minutes to Cincinnati!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or