U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:59 PM

32 posts, read 68,310 times

Advertisements

want out of florida. husband may have job opportunity in paducah. can someone tell me what is within commuting distance of paducah? looking for something with a couple acres of land (not too rural), good home prices, good school system and low crime. it seems feasible in ky. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,146 times
Paducah is a pretty decent place to work and raise a family. Lowertown/Down Town is completly being redone and we are preparing to get a new marina. Almost everyone is friendly and up for conversation. People will talk to you like they have known you thier whole lives. Our housing market is low right now so if you want to buy now is a good time. Can put you in contact with some people if you want. We have really good schools both city and county wide. Our population is very small compared to our land size. We are only about 10 miles from Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. We have "hometown flavor" too. We still have a farmers market and host several "small" fairs and festivals every year. check out our website www.paducahky.gov

Old 08-20-2008, 04:55 PM

7,469 posts, read 12,993,747 times
My dad drove and carpooled from Mayfield to the Gaseous Diffusion plant west of Paducah for 34 years. Not near as big as Paducah, but still has the friendly folks. You can check out the realtors' web sites and see what's available anywhere in the area or check out realtor.com. Once you put in the city you want to check, on the second page just click "farms" or "land". Nothing against Paducah, Knoles. Just telling them an alternative. Paducah is one of those "hub" cities. At one time or another you end up in Paducah shopping, going to concerts, etc. For the rural part, I'm partial to the Mayfield/Graves County area. lol

Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,806,210 times
There are far more concerts in Murray, but I am biased. Check out Murray, 45 minutes south or Paducah. It is the fastest growing city/town in the Jackson Purchase. Plenty of shopping, good schools, restaurants, concerts, etc. Murray is not as "big" as Paducah, but Murray doesn't have a 2% income tax either. Murray boasts a ZERO, 0%, NADA, income tax. Did I mention we also have a university with over 10,000 students? We too have festivals and a far less crime rate then just about anywhere in the JP. Check out MURRAY!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,878,049 times
North Graves Co just a few minutes from Paducah is a great location. Graves Co has some of the highest rated schools in the state and some of the only schools to place high nationally. This info is easily verified. Paducah schools are not nearly as good, not knocking Paducah, I like it, but the schools lack.
Property here in Graves has held and increased in value, while other areas have gone down ours has increased. It really comes down to how far do you want to drive? Taxes are lower in Graves, and services are better IMHO. Graves Co (Mayfield) is the county directly below McCracken Co (Paducah) More and more people are leaving McCracken and moving to neighboring county for better schools, cheaper taxes and safer areas.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 PM

This should tell you something that everyone is mentioning somewhere OTHER than Paducah to live. Paducah is a wonderful place to VISIT.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 PM

6,569 posts, read 13,795,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
This should tell you something that everyone is mentioning somewhere OTHER than Paducah to live. Paducah is a wonderful place to VISIT.
Woah..I think Paducah is a great place for kids! It wouldn't be my first choice, and is too small for me, but I think it is a nice place for a family.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 PM

Have you ever lived there? There is a reason why the city of Paducah is losing population.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM

6,569 posts, read 13,795,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Have you ever lived there? There is a reason why the city of Paducah is losing population.
No, I have never lived there, but I went to that quilt festival last year. I like gritty, urban cities, and for a smaller town, Paducah has it. maybe I should have explored the town more, but I drove around most the older parts. I think it is fine for a family, and it would be my first choice if I HAD to live anywhere in the western half of the state. The lower town arts district is pretty cool there.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
...if I HAD to live anywhere in the western half of the state.
What do you mean when you capitalize "HAD"? Is it wrong to live on this end of the state? Is it like some sort of third-world country over on this end? How did you become moderator anyway? You do know that the thinking goes both ways. People on your end couldn't care less about our area and vice-versa here. Hell, you can buy the St. Louis Post Dispatch at a dozen different area's here, yet it is near impossible to find the Courier-Journal. The bottom line is that THIS AREA, too, is a wonderful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky