U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 09:11 AM

81 posts, read 173,243 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for a semi rural area to relocate. Would like to have clean air, good schools. low crime and medical nearby. I am looking for a slower paced lifestyle. I do have children and would like to be where there are families with good old-fashioned values. Anything like this available in this area. Oh also needs to be affordable 200,000-300,000 range. I have looked in East TN and love the scenery. Is west KY like this? My husband has a possible job opportunity in West KY and I would like to know as much as possible. I currently live in South Florida, so I am used to having conveniences, but I am now ready for a change. Would still like to have grocery store somewhat close and some restaurants, but the rest can be a little further. I really want to be somewhere where more moms stay at home with their children and don't work all day long just to accumulate material things. Can you tell I am sick of South Fl living? Thank in advance fo your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:28 AM

276 posts, read 714,681 times
Default Smart idea!

Hey, I'm sick of central Florida living. In fact, I'm sick of the entire state! I am also looking to move to a small place in KY. Good Luck in your search. I know where you're coming from!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 AM

Also, if anyone has any pics of these areas would be great. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:32 AM

459 posts, read 1,124,701 times
I recommend Western KY.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 AM

767 posts, read 1,846,230 times
Western Kentucky's topography is not like eastern Tennessee's. Tell us where your spouse's job opportunity is and we will be able to tell you more.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 AM

79 posts, read 244,871 times
Of course posting on a Kentucky message board, you are going to get responses favoring Kentucky, the two areas are quite different, I have never seen a post like this asking to compare them. They differ greatly in topography, also East Tennessee has larger cities in Knoxville and Chattanooga, where the largest city in W Kentucky is either Paducah or Owensboro (is Owensboro considered W kentucky?). Also, most of the counties in East Tennessee are growing faster than those in Western Kentucky, but this may have to do more with retirement preferences than the overall job prospects of the areas.
I agree that we would need to know more about what type of job your husband is looking for. I would imagine either area you choose, you will find tons of "upper bracket" homes in the 200-300 range and unless you choose to live in the most isolated areas you can find, you will be within driving distance of a grocery store and at least chain restaurants. Although it is very hard to generalize, in the wealthier and government assistance neighborhoods you will find women that would stay at home with the children full time. In the middle class and working poor neighborhoods you will probably find more 2 income households.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,868,880 times
It's apples and oranges ... what's the difference between southern FL and northern GA?

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Sorry, I don't know much about KY. I basically would like a little slower paced life and I was wondering if W KY was similar to E. TN in topography also. I am not looking to offend anyone. Just looking for a place that my family can settle down in and be healthy and less stressed. I want to live in a beautiful countryside with lots of nature and simplicity. Maybe those old fashioned type places don't really exist anymore. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,868,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
Sorry, I don't know much about KY. I basically would like a little slower paced life and I was wondering if W KY was similar to E. TN in topography also. I am not looking to offend anyone. Just looking for a place that my family can settle down in and be healthy and less stressed. I want to live in a beautiful countryside with lots of nature and simplicity. Maybe those old fashioned type places don't really exist anymore. Thanks for the info.
I don't think you've offended anyone they are just very opposite in typography. E Tn is really pretty and in the Mountains. W KY is very pretty and somewhat flat ... not Iowa/Kansas flat but no mountains, just a few stay small hills. We (in W Ky) have Cypress Swamp, lots of lakes, rivers and streams. Elevation here is about 200-500 above sea level, E TN is 2000-5000 feet above sea level.
Attitude wise I'd say there about the same I have family and friends in E TN and E KY, I live in W KY it not much change really as far as the rural area goes, just what the land looks like. I enjoy looking at the mountains of eastern KY and TN, but I enjoy the longer summer season and milder winters of W KY.
Each area has there respective charm it really depends on what you like.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM

39 posts, read 179,541 times
Default Western KY

Well, I guess I'm qualified to chime in here since I actually moved from south Florida to western KY. I've been living north of Murray for about 3 weeks now. Like you, we were sick to death of the nasty attitudes of the people in south FL, all the traffic and crime and so on. Take comfort, your perspective has probably been warped by the experience of living down there for too long. There are many places in rural American that can serve as an antidote to everything you loathe about that place. In my opinion, leaving there was truly like being reborn. Florida has some beautiful spots but the people have almost become intolerable, too many rats in the cage....my opinion only.

Your stated housing price range can get you into what would be considered somewhat upscale around here. We keep horses and like country living so we bought 25 acres with a stone house, two barns, a pond and are actually on Kentucky Lake via TVA land for considerably under $300k. You could get something similar further from the lakes for much less. If you want say 5 acres with a fairly nice house, that could happen for well under $200k here.

As to E. TN, well that's mountain country as opposed to the rolling farm county around here. Like somebody else pointed out, apples and oranges. Mountain people and agrarian people tend to be really different. It's up to your personal tastes. Same thing with the topography. Climate would be pretty similar. It might take a visit to each place.

The people around the Murray / Benton area are among the friendliest I've ever been around and I've lived in many parts of the U.S. and have travelled throughout all 50 states. It's amazing how helpful and nice they are. The down side here is that there are a lot of ticks and chiggers and also poison ivy. If you're big into hiking and being outdoors, it can be a problem. My wife and I are having a lot of trouble with this right now. You need to use a lot of insect spray and wear long pants, etc. if you want to be out walking around in grass or woodsy areas. The ticks are so bad that hunters here sometimes wear panty hose under their trousers. Just a heads up. If it's town living you're talking about, this stuff is not a big issue. The lakes are great for boating which is what a lot of people do. Very nice people here and fairly low cost of living. Climate is mild. Traffic is pretty light. Ticks and chiggers are awful, at least in the summer. Let me know if you want any specific info. Between the two places, I'd opt for W KY but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky