Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times

Advertisements

For all the realitors on here... why does a 3 bedroom condo with no yard cost $150k to $500k+ while a new 5 bedroom house with a yard only cost $200,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,257,020 times
Default You won't believe this

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
For all the realitors on here... why does a 3 bedroom condo with no yard cost $150k to $500k+ while a new 5 bedroom house with a yard only cost $200,000?
Actually the answer is something most liberals including nearly every Democrat I ever met has never understood. There are people who want to own a condo and are willing to pay highly.

It is quite simply "supply and demand" or FREE MARKET ECONOMICS.

You as an American have the opportunity to freely risk capital to build a building. If you call it a condo, unless you are in Florida, it will likely bring you a premium because equally free buyers can bid up the prices.

Here in Oldham County, we have too many speculatively built 5 bedroom homes with a yard, so for a buyer to have desire, they are only willing to pay a lower price. Yet, there is a demand for Patio Homes which still are selling.

Same is true in cars, mortgages, stocks and bonds. Democrat legislatures and officials think they have more sense than you and therefore, they try to control prices and supply. Let the oil companies alone and we'll see lower energy costs.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,112,087 times
A new five bedroom home for 200,000??? Not in my area, unless it is in an undesirable location.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM

714 posts, read 1,533,073 times
tomocox

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,301,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Actually the answer is something most liberals including nearly every Democrat I ever met has never understood. There are people who want to own a condo and are willing to pay highly.

You as an American have the opportunity to freely risk capital to build a building. If you call it a condo, unless you are in Florida, it will likely bring you a premium because equally free buyers can bid up the prices.

Here in Oldham County, we have too many speculatively built 5 bedroom homes with a yard, so for a buyer to have desire, they are only willing to pay a lower price. Yet, there is a demand for Patio Homes which still are selling.

Same is true in cars, mortgages, stocks and bonds. Democrat legislatures and officials think they have more sense than you and therefore, they try to control prices and supply. Let the oil companies alone and we'll see lower energy costs.

Um, not exactly. A truly free market does not exist in real estate, the way it does in cars, mortgages, stocks and bonds.

If you cannot afford a Ferrari, you can buy a Lexus...or a Bimmer, or a Honda...or a Ford...or even a used Yugo.

It doesn't work quite that way with real estate.

As an American, I DO NOT have the right, in urban or suburban America, to buy a 30' by 30' piece of land and build on it a 20' by 20' house (all I can afford). Also I do not have the right in urban or suburban America to buy a tiny piece of land and put a trailer on it. (This is why lot rents in trailer parks are so high - alternative options are restricted by government.)

Because Americans do not have these affordable ownership options, the supply of affordable low-end ownership options is restricted by government, thereby enabling prices to be bid up to ridiculous levels.

If urban and suburban Americans actually were free to buy 20' by 20' houses on 30' by 30' land, condos would be dirt cheap.

So it's not exactly a free market that makes condos so expensive.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Hey FREE MARKET ECONOMICS guy, I refuted your silly assertion.

Do you have anything to say in defense of your pathetic position?

Condos are so expensive precisely because condo buyers do not have the more affordable options they would have in a truly free market.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:36 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,799,181 times
Actually, I think you'll find many of the current condo/townhouse purchasers are first wave baby boomers who have raised children and who are starting to downsize. A number of my friends have sought residences on one floor or with a bedroom and full bath on the first floor, minus large yards and/or with included maintenance, with a view towards staying independently in place in the future.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hey FREE MARKET ECONOMICS guy, I refuted your silly assertion.

Do you have anything to say in defense of your pathetic position?

Condos are so expensive precisely because condo buyers do not have the more affordable options they would have in a truly free market.
While you may have refuted my position, you are totally wrong. I can sell you a 30 x 30 property in many places in Kentucky and you can build a 29 x 29 house on it or you can build a 10 x 10 and be totally government free.

Sorry, Mr Typical, once again, you know not what you are speaking of.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
While you may have refuted my position, you are totally wrong. I can sell you a 30 x 30 property in many places in Kentucky and you can build a 29 x 29 house on it or you can build a 10 x 10 and be totally government free.

Sorry, Mr Typical, once again, you know not what you are speaking of.

Most Americans do not live in Kentucky and do not wish to move there. If this is possible in Kentucky, I would guess it's also possible elsewhere in the South, I will research this. There are very few non-rural places in North America where minimum lot size requirements do not exist, and minimum size requirements of 5,000 square feet or 10,000 square feet are common.

I have never seen such a thing allowed in the non-rural East, West, or Midwest.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Most Americans do not live in Kentucky and do not wish to move there. If this is possible in Kentucky, I would guess it's also possible elsewhere in the South, I will research this. There are very few non-rural places in North America where minimum lot size requirements do not exist, and minimum size requirements of 5,000 square feet or 10,000 square feet are common.

I have never seen such a thing allowed in the non-rural East, West, or Midwest.
My point is only to hopefully encourage you to be quite a bit more open to being wrong and not assuming that everyone else is wrong simply because they have information that you might not. It's perfectly ok to question a person who provides data that does not correspond to your understanding, but as an old man, I definitely encourage you to realize that exceptions to nearly every situation, law, or event do occur.

In my business there are four foundations. I encourage my people to understand the four squares of a good deal. Integrity, Service, Knowledge, and Care. The only person that can beat me when it comes to integrity and care is myself. I can not be beaten in those categories unless I allow myself to fail, but when it comes to service and knowledge, too many variables outside of my control can prevent perfection. For example, there is no way I can know all about your business, or the journey which has led you to what you need.

Just be a bit less pompous. You'll go farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky