Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:11 AM

458 posts, read 2,289,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
I've lived in KY all my life and currently live in Louisville. I really like it. I have visited Lexington many times and I would rather live in Louisville. To me there is more to do and more activities. Both are great towns, however. Good luck on your decision.
Louisville I have visited and like it very much, but it's too big city for us to live in right now. I will definitely visit, however.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifgraysmom View Post
If you end up in Lexington, I seriously doubt you will have any regrets. I lived in Lexington for several yrs and worked for UK. Great town, great people. Also, Lexington is on Money magazine's top 25 smartest cities in the US.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/29/real...ties/index.htm

Good luck!
I saw that stat on Lexington. Very impressive. I can hardly wait to see the UK campus and the city and the horse farms...

Old 01-24-2007, 06:24 AM

190 posts, read 812,003 times
Don't forget about Eastern Kentucky University, located in Richmond!

Eastern Kentucky University was founded in 1906 with a faculty of seven. In 1909, when the first commencement was held, 11 people received degrees. Over the last century, we've grown to a full-fledged comprehensive university offering 168 degree programs and serving more than 15,000 students a year. But we haven't lost that small-college feel.

With a student-faculty ratio of just 17-1 and a strong emphasis on student success, EKU is able to offer its students the personal attention they need to succeed. Classes are generally small, and they're usually taught by professors, not graduate students. Our professors will take a genuine interest in how you're doing. There's no getting lost in the crowd here.

You won't be just a face in the crowd when it comes to campus life, either. There's always something going on to capture your interest and help you make new friends. You can get involved in one of the 175 student organizations, play intramural sports, try out for a play or a musical group... whatever your interests are, there's something here for you.

source www.eku.edu

Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM

76 posts, read 344,643 times
You need to look at Murray & Bowling Green.
Murray population 14,950 (2000) Full time enrollment at Murray 7,676
Mediun house value $84,000.00
Murray State University, check out http://www.murraystate.edu

For a larger town look at Bowling Green, KY., Western Kentucky University, check out http://www.wku.edu/
Bowling Green population 49,296 (2000) Full time enrollment at Western 12,806 and Mediun house value $104,000.00
I hope I have given you useful infomation. If I can help you in any way just let me know.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 AM

Thanks for both suggestions!

I have looked at both EKU & WKU but unfortunately they don't have the doctoral programs I want to pursue. Bowling Green I actually visited and LOVED, but alas, no oppties for me to get my PhD so that I can teach (eventually) in a really cool college town. For me in KY I think the UK is my best option and I am hoping that I will love the city as well... The big decision will be living within the city limits or just outside and commuting in...

Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,883 times
Default highliner

Seems like somebody got their facts on EKU screwed up. When I was a student , we were taught that the school,which became a university in 1968,was founded in 1867. Furthermore, the oldest building on campus dates from 1874, and was where I took my core history courses. It's former name was The Eastern State Normal School, and both of my paternal grandparents earned undergraduate degrees there, in 1925 and 1926.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,607 times
I love so many parts of Ky, that I want to try living in each area for about a year.........I think I would try Berea/Danville area. Bardstown/Louisville area, Henderson, Paducah, and Murray hehehe, sometimes I wish I had 9lives.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
I love so many parts of Ky, that I want to try living in each area for about a year.........I think I would try Berea/Danville area. Bardstown/Louisville area, Henderson, Paducah, and Murray hehehe, sometimes I wish I had 9lives.
How fun that an older post of mine got bounced to the top. I think we are settling on Lexington--depending on our visit next month! We expect to love it, but you never know until you visit.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,423 times
Default progressive college town in Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
We live in expensive Massachusetts and have a fantasy of moving south to a progressive college town. We are looking to find out what it's really like to live in KY , how expensive it is, and what the quality of life is.

Thanks for any help!
Hi,

I live in Berea, KY. My position as an outside sales rep takes me to many of the college towns that have been mentioned in this thread. Since you mentioned that you likely will have to go to UK to pursue your doctorate, I would recommend living outside of Lexington and commuting. Paris, Georgetown, Richmond, and of course Berea are all excellent choices and it really depends on your definition of "progressive". For example, Berea and Paris are "dry", which means no alcohol is served there. However Richmond is "wet". I'm not sure about Georgetown, but I know that Lexington is "wet" but I would not live there (congestion and crime). It's all relative since I don't know what you've been experiencing in Mass.

Housing will be less expensive in Berea, Danville, Richmond, Paris. Danville is about 25-30 miles from Lexington but the commute from Danville to Lexington will be much more difficult than from the other cities I mentioned due to smaller roads (two lane vs. divided highway)

Good luck with your studies, and let me be the first to welcome you to Kentucky -even before you get here!

Tony

Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesmantony View Post
Hi,

I live in Berea, KY. My position as an outside sales rep takes me to many of the college towns that have been mentioned in this thread. Since you mentioned that you likely will have to go to UK to pursue your doctorate, I would recommend living outside of Lexington and commuting. Paris, Georgetown, Richmond, and of course Berea are all excellent choices and it really depends on your definition of "progressive". For example, Berea and Paris are "dry", which means no alcohol is served there. However Richmond is "wet". I'm not sure about Georgetown, but I know that Lexington is "wet" but I would not live there (congestion and crime). It's all relative since I don't know what you've been experiencing in Mass.

Housing will be less expensive in Berea, Danville, Richmond, Paris. Danville is about 25-30 miles from Lexington but the commute from Danville to Lexington will be much more difficult than from the other cities I mentioned due to smaller roads (two lane vs. divided highway)

Good luck with your studies, and let me be the first to welcome you to Kentucky -even before you get here!

Tony

I think my big concern with living outside the city is commuting time for my husband. If it's a 25 minute no stress, beautiful drive then no problem. If it's stop and go traffic or unpleasant highway, he will be quite unhappy everyday. (All this assumes he will work in the city at a hospital, probably UKY Med. Center. Right now, we don't know where he will work.)

As far as progressive, I don't care if a county is wet or dry since we're not drinkers. I just mean friendly, accepting of newcomers, some diversity, some cultural activities (museums, plays, etc.) and a place that would be fun to have our extended family come visit.

I am eager to visit each of the towns you mentioned to figure out whether or not we want small town life or city life. I'm dying to visit Berea since I've heard so much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky