Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 6,875 times

Advertisements

I currently live in CT and it is crazy expensive and just boring. I want to move south or somewhere with cheaper rent. Currently I pay over $1000 for a 2 bedroom in the worst worst section of town, it's BAD. Crackheads everywhere police everywhere just a horrible place I don't feel safe at all.

So, me and two friends have decided we want to go somewhere nicer. we have jobs to do with childcare, call center, and a manager at a gormet food store. We want to move somewhere country, but not TOO country. Somewhere where we can go out and have fun, but at the same time have a relaxing countryish atmosphere, if that makes any sense. Looking for a 3 bedroom in the range of $300 - $750. No trailers or manufactured homes!! We are in our early/mid twenties and just want to start a new, better life for ourselves. (we would also like a house with a porch and two rocking chairs lol) Also has to be pet friendly. If you've seen true blood or hart of dixie I'm looking for something similar to that kinda atmosphere.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 PM

14,670 posts, read 7,970,612 times
Hi!
The cost of living is probably less here in Kentucky, but I am not for sure you can get a 3 bedroom home with big front porch, big enough for Rocking Chairs
for the amount that you listed. Out in the country, yet close to lots to do.

You can check Craigslist Lexington or Louisville - are you wanting to live in the city or suburbs, or small town?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Here are some examples, I have no idea if these or good or bad neighborhoods though.

Easy Life (http://lexington.craigslist.org/apa/2867097471.html - broken link)
Desired location with desired amenties! (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2869272331.html - broken link)
House for Rent - Jeffersonville, IN (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2862689500.html - broken link)
4704 Crofton Road (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2869281029.html - broken link)
Great 3 Bedroom house! Call 637-8100 now! (ea) (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2864841209.html - broken link)
House For Rent (http://lexington.craigslist.org/apa/2849656743.html - broken link)

Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times
But there IS some parts of Kentucky away from the Louisville area
In the Paducah Sun... 3BR 1.5 bath, brick home, $750/mo. Another in the same area, east of town, 3BR, $850. Lone Oak area, someone has 2 and 3 BR homes, $450-750/mo.
Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville...Nice farm setting, 3 BR, 2 bath, washer and dryer, nice appliances, Central heat and air, mowing included, carport, $750/mo. This is in Fairview, about 11 miles from Hopkinsville, all 4 lane highway.
For the Cadiz area (where I live) there was just a 2 BR mobile home listed but you could check with Armstrong Properties in Cadiz, 270-522-0222. We're just 18 miles from Hopkinsville. There are other towns to check on in western Ky. Henderson, Madisonville, Mayfield, and I could go on. Hope you find something nice!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
But there IS some parts of Kentucky away from the Louisville area
Kentucky public education represent!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmemove88 View Post
I currently live in CT and it is crazy expensive and just boring. I want to move south or somewhere with cheaper rent. Currently I pay over $1000 for a 2 bedroom in the worst worst section of town, it's BAD. Crackheads everywhere police everywhere just a horrible place I don't feel safe at all.

So, me and two friends have decided we want to go somewhere nicer. we have jobs to do with childcare, call center, and a manager at a gormet food store. We want to move somewhere country, but not TOO country. Somewhere where we can go out and have fun, but at the same time have a relaxing countryish atmosphere, if that makes any sense. Looking for a 3 bedroom in the range of $300 - $750. No trailers or manufactured homes!! We are in our early/mid twenties and just want to start a new, better life for ourselves. (we would also like a house with a porch and two rocking chairs lol) Also has to be pet friendly. If you've seen true blood or hart of dixie I'm looking for something similar to that kinda atmosphere.

thank you!
With your ability to spell, you'll do fine in Kentucky.

To more effectively answer your question, look into Murray, Cadiz, Bowling Green, Columbia, London, Paducah, and Elizabethtown. Yep, those are the first recommendations that come to mind.

Be more specific: Career ambitions? Educational attainment/usable skills acquired? Looking for an adventure or to genuinely settle down? Protections against animals and prosecution against animal abusers? Close to an airport for direct flights back to NY or Boston? Quality of public schools? Have kids? That way, we'll be able to recommend more specific places in Kentucky or peer/somewhat similar states like Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, etc.

I know this: I am a proud Kentucky native that actually cares about the state, and I even miss it sometimes. But the people that live there seriously lack the ambition and education, for the most part, to conceptually understand and tackle its problems. And I live in California, the state of crazy politics, but at least people are more outspoken, articulate and well-spoken with their social and political perspectives here, if even I don't agree with all of them. Given steadily increasing dynamic populations, better-ranked higher education networks and more diverse economies in states like Alabama (Huntsville), Georgia (Atlanta), North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee (Nashville and some smaller cities), and Texas, even though many areas within those states have been severely hit in this economy, I trust that the evolving "new South" will continue to grow in those states and not stagnant ol' Kentucky. If you are serious about moving south, you might want to keep that in consideration; it might also play a role in where you might fit in better as a current Connecticut resident.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-25-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 AM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times
There is a couple that go to church with my parents who moved to Kentucky from Connecticut. They say they'll never leave here. They love the people, the countryside, everything. The one thing that surprised them was property taxes. When she paid the taxes, which she said was less than their quarterly payment in Ct., the clerk told her she didn't owe for a year. They were very happy about that!
I may not get the right words in my posts, jcm, I mean EclecticEars, but I, like helpmemove, am not writing a prize winning thesis. Just trying to get the word across that Kentucky is a good place to settle. Glad I'm not near a stagnant state.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:13 AM

638 posts, read 1,275,253 times
We're in the slow process of moving from LI to KY. My suggestion is to visit some areas that peak your interest. Come visit the Bluegrass- You'll never want to leave! Good luck!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmemove88 View Post

thank you!
We don't have any vampire rites here though - or vampires that I know of!
(I hear that true blood is a great show from so many people though, I need to check it out.)

Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM

407 posts, read 1,258,321 times
Not so fast, Crazee Cat. I am pretty sure there is a vamp living down the street but that is probably just a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
We don't have any vampire rites here though - or vampires that I know of!
(I hear that true blood is a great show from so many people though, I need to check it out.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky