U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,481 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Bowling Green from New Orleans and would like to know about the best neighborhoods and areas to focus our home search. Looking in the 300,000 to 450,000 range. Can anyone help us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 04:13 AM

190 posts, read 746,987 times
According to my friend who lives there, the southern part of Bowling Green is the most family friendly/better area to live. She also said that Scottsville is pretty popular with families, located about 13 miles away. Close enough to commute, far enough out that you can get about 5 for what 1 would cost in town. Hope this helps! ~joanna~

Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,015,259 times
The south side of town is generally where the nicer subdivisions are, you will see this in the land and home prices. Greenwood High and Bowling Green High are generally considered the best high schools, if that is of a concern. Greenwood covers the south side of the city and county and Bowling Green High is the actual city.

I haven't been to Scottsville in a while, but I would recommend Franklin over Scottsville personally if you are interested in small towns close to Bowling Green. Franklin has a nice little downtown that has been renovated. It is also right on I-65, putting you 20min to BG and 45 to downtown Nashville.

You'll have a lot of nice choices in the $300-450K range no matter where you pick.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 AM

103 posts, read 407,700 times
You'll have a lot of nice choices in the $300-450K range no matter where you pick.
I agree.
I would choose Simpson county(Franklin) over Allen county (Scottsville), also.
Allen county is quite hilly, Simpson county pretty flat. As far as choosing an area in a 30 mile radius of Bowling Green, It would be nearer BG and probably on the south side also. The North side of BG was nice until they decided to put in the Trans Park. That destroyed it for many people.
BG is a nice town, although much more populated than 25 years ago.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 19,306 times
We are considering moving to Bowling Green area due to employment at the Paradise Power Plant (north of there). I wish to live close to city conviences, and my question is: We would be buying a house there. I see the areas you suggest for good family areas. Our children are grown, so schools are not an issue, just safe, easy living. I notice there were a few MLS listings just west of Airport. Would that be a noisy location & desirable for 50 plus people, or would south be better. I'm also concerned about City taxes. So, again, for our age, where would you suggest. We need to keep the cost of our home $275K or less if possible.
One more question. Do you get much snow in winter? What are winter temp. We currently live in East Tenn. (Chattanooga Area). We have mild winters as a rule with little snow. Thank you so much.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyfife View Post
We are considering moving to Bowling Green area due to employment at the Paradise Power Plant (north of there). I wish to live close to city conviences, and my question is: We would be buying a house there. I see the areas you suggest for good family areas. Our children are grown, so schools are not an issue, just safe, easy living. I notice there were a few MLS listings just west of Airport. Would that be a noisy location & desirable for 50 plus people, or would south be better. I'm also concerned about City taxes. So, again, for our age, where would you suggest. We need to keep the cost of our home $275K or less if possible.
One more question. Do you get much snow in winter? What are winter temp. We currently live in East Tenn. (Chattanooga Area). We have mild winters as a rule with little snow. Thank you so much.
The Airport is just a small municipal airport, it isn't going to be a noise factor. I'm a little confused, because the airport is actually on the southern side of BG, albeit the near southern side. The neighborhoods to the west of the airport would be on the west side of Scottsville Road (US 231). They are generally nice, established neighborhoods. That area is right in the middle of everything in BG also. You'd be 5 minutes from shopping, downtown, campus... If you can afford a $275K house, I bet city taxes won't be much of a concern. They are higher than the county, but still pretty cheap by national standards.

Winters are mild. You probably won't notice a big difference from Chattanooga.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 19,306 times
Thanks for your info. I looked on the map again, & as you say, the airport & the subdivisons I was looking at on MLS were west of airport, south of BG. I was concerned about the airport because I lived under path of Memphis IAP at one time & had to move. We would rather live in the county if we can afford to do so and the neighborhoods are still nice. I don't want to live too far from shopping, etc.. Since my husband would be working in Paradise (north-northwest) of BG, is there another town that you would suggest that might suit us? Again, we are 50's. Schools are of no concern. Other things are. The $275 is as high as we would feel comfortable on home & would prefer much lesser.
I also notice that Kentucky has a state income tax, which Tenn. does not. So that's like a 6% pay cut. (i guess) I know your sales tax is only 6% & TN is 9.25, so that would help on purchases. What about property tax on house. Can you give example of about say $200K house would be in property tax. County only, and then city added?
thanks in advance for anyone that can help in these areas & any other suggestions.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM

I assume you mean Paradise, Muhlenburg Co. If so, that is a good hour, perhaps a little more from BG. If you really want to live in BG, I would recommend the areas on the west/northwest side of town closest to the Green River Parkway. The areas around Russellville Road (Hwy 68/80) and Morgantown Rd (Hwy 231) will be cheaper generally. There are some nice older neighborhoods out Morgantown Rd, but that wasn't my "neck of the woods" so I can't be too specific. Most of the retail developement and newer subdivisions have popped up on the south side of town. However, in BG, going from one side of town to the other only takes 10 minutes, except in the worst traffic times.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 AM

10 posts, read 43,665 times
HI,
I live NE of town and yes it is a little less expensive over here...that is why I am here.
But, my neighbors house just sold for $325k with 30 acres of rolling farm land. The house is 10 year old brick, 3 bay unattached garage and roughy 3000 square feet.

Anyway, we get way less snow than Chattanooga and you will appreciate the gently rolling hills vs. the mountains of East Tn.

I am about 10 miles east of the so called "Transpark", and so far they only have 3 factories in there. IF they go forward with the "air" portion, it is atleast 10 years out.

I would think an hour each way to Muhlenburgh county would be a little long, but I know many people do it daily. My 10 minute commute has spoiled me :-}

Good luck and welcome.
Ernie

Old 11-11-2007, 01:32 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,860,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyfife View Post

Have you looked at Madisonville, KY which is only about 30 minutes from your husband's work? It is a smaller city than Bowling Green, but nice and it is growing. If you really like Bowling Green, I would look at some of the newer developments out Nashville Road and Russellville Road. You will get more for your money and it would give your husband easy access to the parkway. Both are not near the airport either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or