Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times

Advertisements

Hope you find you a place where you can walk out the back door and shoot all day! That's the way my step-son-in-law I mentioned earlier, near Ft. Campbell does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM

8 posts, read 36,512 times
Thanks KYGman!
I knew I was born a decade or so, too late, but thought it might still be a viable way of life in the country. I know the deserts of Tx, AZ, NV, etc. are still wide open, but I like the 4 seasons and to grow things without worrying about water LOL.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM

My son is a student in Murray State University in western Kentucky, majoring in criminal justice. A few weeks ago he bought a 9mm pistol. I haven't seen it yet but he makes it sound like one of the greatest guns made. lol With Murray being a rural area he went a few miles out of town and down a country road, far from any houses. Didn't want to leave any broken glass in the ditches or anything so he took a bag of aluminum cans for targets. Said it felt great! Shot a box of bullets, picked up his cans and went home. Been out there 3 or 4 times in the month he's had the gun. Nobody came out to see what he was doing, nobody called the sheriff, nothing. But he WAS careful enough to check where he was shooting.
There is also a shooting range in the Land Between the Lakes National Recreatio Area. LBL | Target Practice There's only 3 directions you can go to get there. The bridge over Kentucky Lake had about a 200 ft. section knocked out by a barge, but it's supposed to be open by Memorial Day. Unless you're the Dukes of Hazzard and can jump it. lol
You'll definitely get the 4 seasons here in Kentucky. Depends on what things you're talking about growing (big vegetable garden? landscaping plants?) if you have any of the kind of luck I have, if it says you don't have to water often, they still die on me. lol

Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 PM

954 posts, read 2,485,401 times
Fleeingct, hardly here to try to sell you on up where we live...but there are still many rural areas of Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennysylvannia, Ohio, Michigan, Vermont, many others...and even upstate New York . Areas where you can live rural, grow your own food, own/shoot/hunt w/firearms. Long b4 my son came here for the Army, I was also in Kentucky for the same. The state of Kentucky has a great tradition of firearm ownership right along w/many rural traditions lost elsewhere. You folks there have a right to be proud of your home. I might add...just a personal viewpoint...that whole SW-US desert lifestyle ....nah..doesn't work for me. You picked a great state to move to, no doubt about it.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,104,928 times
Tioga, thanks for the vote for Kentucky.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 36,512 times
Hiya Tioga, we really like upstate NY, except for the winters, I actually would move to NH if it wasn't such a long winter. Out of all the places mentioned I believe KY has the mildest winter, and actually it is very similiar to CT. weatherwise, with maybe a fall that lingers a week or two longer, and a spring that starts a week or two earlier.
KYGman A friend of ours son, here in CT., attends Murray State Coll on a partial shooting scholarship
his sister has a full scholarship to a school in TX.
Yes we like to grow a garden, nothing like new potatoes from the garden, well i spent many hours with a shovel along with my dear departed father, and like to think I inherited his green thumb. LOL
Although soil type, drainage, and lots of other things need consideration too, what works here may need rethinking another place, I'm sure we'll learn, hopefully not too much in vain. LOL
land between the lakes seemed like the first place I wanted to go, till I found out about the fault line there, so we are looking mostly Bowling green and eastward. Looks like we will be doing alot of driving around ky shortly.

Last edited by fleeingct; 03-24-2012 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 PM

954 posts, read 2,485,401 times
Fleeingct, this winter was a big exception on the weather. Felt more like the mid south ,Dec-Feb,used my tractor w/plow once. I don't even think Kentucky got those icey rains I remember from years ago...but then again those wintertime tornadoes.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 AM

If you're talking about the New Madrid Fault, there are several faults around the state. If we ever have the "big one", they say it will be felt as far away as Chicago and Washington, D.C.

Tioga we did get a rough ice storm in 2009. Just about shut down the entire state for quite a while.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,104,928 times
There is a saying,"If you don't like the weather, just wait awhile and it will change. It is almost like the northern and southern jet streams war over this area, so depending on which one is prevaling we get warmer or colder weather than normal. Most of Eastern KY has a rich layer of cover over clay soil, so if you get land that hasn't been tended or is newly cleared, you have got good growing soil, but if you get land that has been heavily tended, you will have to work with it to keep it conditioned. As far as the fault, in the last 50 years, we have had tremors twice that we felt in Eastern Kentucky, but no damage. The one time in recorded history that it did have major activity, the Mississippi river ran backward, and it was felt on the eastern seaboard. However, that was so long ago that most of us never even think of it. Most of us see flooding, snow, and ice storms as the major problem but we don't have them so often, but when we do they are dillies. If you go to an isolated area, have a fuel source for cooking and heat other than electric, get camping lanterns or kerosene lights, and in the winter keep about 2 weeks supply of food and water on hand.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,803,811 times
FYI for anyone who likes to go out on country roads and target-shoot: it is illegal to shoot any gun from any public road in Kentucky.

Please pick up not only any targets and trash, but also your bullet shells. Avoid waterways if possible, to minimize potential lead poisoning of wildlife and water. "Leave no trace" is good practice for target shooters as well as hikers and campers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky