Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times

Advertisements

Cave Run Lake is beautiful. There is Zilpo Campground and Twin Knobs Campground. Zilpo is run by the Natl Parks Service, so it is nice.

Red River Gorge is beautiful, just be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 06:26 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
Cave Run Lake is beautiful. There is Zilpo Campground and Twin Knobs Campground. Zilpo is run by the Natl Parks Service, so it is nice.

Red River Gorge is beautiful, just be careful.
Thanks for the tip on Cave Run Lake. It looks beautiful on the website.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Well, it CAN be dangerous because parts of it are so wild and rugged. There are lots of cliffs, drop-offs, etc. But, an average family who uses normal caution shouldn't have any trouble. Like the other poster said, the biggest danger is from people who pitch a tent next to the cliff's edge and then proceed to drink a case of beer. The state park area is very family-friendly, with several easy trails that include barriers/rails. You can walk over the rock bridge, and that does require supervision because of the drop-offs along both sides, but it is fairly wide and flat. It does amaze me, though, to see the families that let their young children run wild along it, just like the familes that let their children wade in the rapids of the Niagara River just 500 ft from the falls.

A popular weekend trip is to go to the Smoky Mtn area of TN. It is only few hours from Lexington, and once there you have the choice of the kitschy towns like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, family attractions like an aquarium and Dollywood, and also the gorgeous national park and some rustic camping and cabin areas.

Ky does have some gorgeous scenery and outdoors activities, but if you're looking for other options :
- King's Island (Cincinnati) and Six Flags (Louisville) are big theme parks in the area, with the standard roller coasters, features, etc. I prefer King's Island, but both are easy trips.
- Louisville and Cincinnati both have nice zoos
- Lexington has a children's museum and a professional children's theater
- Louisville and Cincinnati also offer a variety of museums and attractions, including the aquarium you mentioned (which I highly recommend!)
- Lexington offers a big following of college football and basketball, as well as a pro baseball club (the Legends), and major baseball and NFL games are available in Cincinnati. I recommend the Legends for a night of classic baseball family fun, without the high prices of bigger stadiums.
- Keeneland is a must-visit during their spring and fall meets. From the gorgeous scenery to the excitement of the races, it is a classic Lexington icon.
- The Horse Park near Lexington offers a great chance to experience the whole horse-y environment of Central KY, with plenty of time with real horses! There are also several horseback riding places near Lexington, including Whispering Woods in Georgetown.
- Several of the lakes in KY (like Cumberland) offer weekend houseboat rentals, which are fun to just kick back and hang out on the water. Some of the lakes can get very busy, but at other times you can almost always find a secluded cove or inlet.
-lots of small towns around Lexington (Midway, Berea, etc) offer quaint shopping, cafes, etc in historic areas. Berea in particular is highly regarded for their beautiful folk arts and crafts and their unique college.
- Frankfort also has some nice historic areas, including a privately owned Frank Lloyd Wright home and the state capitol bldg, and is a nice easy drive from Lexington.
- If you're into wine or bourbon, there are quite a few places to tour and do tastings around Lexington, from the historic and beautiful Woodford Reserve bourbon to Talon and Equus Run Vineyards (and many more!)
- During Derby time, Louisville offers a variety of big events from parades and hot air balloon races to the famous "Thunder over Louisville" fireworks display that bring people in from all over the country
- If you're mechanically inclined, Toyota offers a free visitor tour that lets you ride inside the plant and witness the production of its famous Camry. It's actually pretty impressive if you haven't been into an assembly plant before.
- In addition to cabins, camping, motels, and resorts, KY also offers a variety of Bed and Breakfast inns that offer working farm experiences, relaxing among horse farms, and upscale pampering.

Whew! And don't forget, cities like Indianapolis, Columbus, and Nashville are only a few hours away. Just a little further and you can be in Chicago, Cleveland, etc. In case you haven't checked it out, don't forget to go to Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau for more info. Hope your family gets to explore and enjoy your new home soon!
That is a most impressive list and I look forward to working my way through it. A few of the things we have done--like the Kentucky Horse Park for which we will be buying a family membership so we can visit often--but most we haven't yet had the chance.

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
That is a most impressive list and I look forward to working my way through it. A few of the things we have done--like the Kentucky Horse Park for which we will be buying a family membership so we can visit often--but most we haven't yet had the chance.

Thanks again.
You should try the Louisville Slugger Museum, Ali Museum, Louisville Science Center and Imax, and the Imax 3d movie theatre in Stonybrook. Also, the adventure playground near the Tumbleweed restaurant at Waterfront Park is wonderful for kids.

Also, take a stroll through beautiful Cherokee Park on one of the riding or bike trails. It is nice seeing all the people on these trails. Take a walk up Bardstown Road and peek in the shops and stores.

Louisville travel guide - Wikitravel (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:j0a6kQgHZvgJ:wikitravel.org/en/Louisville+louisville+chocolate+cafe&hl=en&ct=clnk &cd=3&gl=us - broken link)

That atricle is fairly well written. Please ignore the food recs, and for food recs please use this site:

LouisvilleHotBytes :: View Forum - Louisville Restaurants Forum

and sign up and ask for suggestions.

LUCKY STRIKE LANES

is a cool bowling alley downtown where you can sometimes find families on Sunday afternoons. I have been in there during the day and seen kids really excited to bowl somewhere different than your standard suburban looking place. I would avoid that area at night with kids since it is a large bar district.

Also, there is lots of lots of history in the city and many activities associated with it from neighborhood walking tours of Victorian Mansions or othe rhistoric districts to historic cemeteries and war sites. If interested in any of these "nerdy" endeavours, let me know, and I can get more specifics for you.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
You should try the Louisville Slugger Museum, Ali Museum, Louisville Science Center and Imax, and the Imax 3d movie theatre in Stonybrook. Also, the adventure playground near the Tumbleweed restaurant at Waterfront Park is wonderful for kids.

Also, take a stroll through beautiful Cherokee Park on one of the riding or bike trails. It is nice seeing all the people on these trails. Take a walk up Bardstown Road and peek in the shops and stores.

Louisville travel guide - Wikitravel (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:j0a6kQgHZvgJ:wikitravel.org/en/Louisville+louisville+chocolate+cafe&hl=en&ct=clnk &cd=3&gl=us - broken link)

That atricle is fairly well written. Please ignore the food recs, and for food recs please use this site:

LouisvilleHotBytes :: View Forum - Louisville Restaurants Forum

and sign up and ask for suggestions.

LUCKY STRIKE LANES

is a cool bowling alley downtown where you can sometimes find families on Sunday afternoons. I have been in there during the day and seen kids really excited to bowl somewhere different than your standard suburban looking place. I would avoid that area at night with kids since it is a large bar district.

Also, there is lots of lots of history in the city and many activities associated with it from neighborhood walking tours of Victorian Mansions or othe rhistoric districts to historic cemeteries and war sites. If interested in any of these "nerdy" endeavours, let me know, and I can get more specifics for you.
We made a too brief visit to Louisville almost two years ago and loved the city. Really a fun vibe. We made it to the Kids' Science Museum across the street from the Louisville Slugger museum and walked around and enjoyed just being there. Plus it was a beautiful Spring day.

Thanks for all these specific ideas. Since we will be only one hour from Louisville and like "big city" field trips we will be returning. I'm definitely open to nerdy endeavors as well because our whole family enjoys history and learning of all kinds.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:21 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
.Also, take a stroll through beautiful Cherokee Park on one of the riding or bike trails. It is nice seeing all the people on these trails.
Just don't do like I did TWICE and get yourself lost lol It took me two hours to find my way out

Old 09-24-2007, 04:18 PM

201 posts, read 478,909 times
Nlschr0 basically summed up everything I wanted to say.

I'd say come up to Northern Kentucky when a major festival is going on in Cincy. That way during the day you can hit the aquarium and walk around the Newport Levee and then walk across the bridge to enjoy something like Blues Fest, or the Taste of Cincy.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayersd1 View Post
Nlschr0 basically summed up everything I wanted to say.

I'd say come up to Northern Kentucky when a major festival is going on in Cincy. That way during the day you can hit the aquarium and walk around the Newport Levee and then walk across the bridge to enjoy something like Blues Fest, or the Taste of Cincy.
I know practically nothing about Cincy and look forward to exploring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky