Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM

31 posts, read 82,469 times

Advertisements

We are checking off a few things on my bucket list.. Bowling Green (corvette stuff), KY horse park (looking at a BB in area, but no set reservation), really cool caverns (not sure which ones, open to suggestions).

Driving from Atlanta(Stone Mtn is our first stop) have have no set itinerary, looking for the best places to eat, stay and visit. We may end up leaving on the 26th of May or 4th of June. Would like to head back towards FLA and have a day of rest before going to work.

Looking for some great suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
In the cave country, you cannot do better than visiting Mammoth Cave (National Park). A selection of cave tours are available but you'd be wise to reserve your ticket ahead of time - see the park's website for more info.

Lost River Cave is in Bowling Green, and offers boat tours. The cave is in a very dramatic and historic setting.

Also not too faraway is Kentucky Down Under, just outside of Horse Cave (a town). Ky Down Under includes a fine collection of very well-cared for Australian birds and animals, plus a very "decorated" cave, Kentucky Caverns, just below the surface. In the town of Horse Cave is the American Cave Museum, with adjacent Hidden River Cave.

There are lots of antique and craft shops in the cave country, if you want to spend more time above ground.

You may want to see My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown. I am not sure when their annual outdoor musical about the life of Stephen Foster begins this season, but it's well-worth seeing.

If you're looping back towards Lexington and the Horse Park, check other similar threads for nearby attractions like Shakertown, Old Fort Harrod, Berea, Old Frankfort Pike, Frankfort, and info about museum houses in Lexington. You might also do well to check with the State Department of Tourism and have some free material sent to you ahead of time. There are welcome centers near the state line on each of Kentucky's Interstates (the Louisville and Cincinnati welcome centers are a bit farther down the road) - there are helpful and friendly employees there who can answer questions and again, provide you with ample maps, brochures, coupons, and other helpful materials.

Your local library should have books about visiting Kentucky, too.

Since you'll be crossing Tennessee en route to Kentucky, do look into nearby attractions there as well - the Great Smoky Mountains are pretty much on your way, as is Chattanooga, if you follow I-75 north or back home after your stay in Ky. Lots to see and do in both vicinities...

It appears your trip may include Memorial Day - if so, you may need overnight reservations at most B and Bs, though chain motels should be able to accommodate you. I expect cave tour tickets for Mammoth Cave will also be in high demand that weekend, so plan accordingly.

Later... Oops! just realized I posted a very similar response to your other inquiry - sorry about that, my enthusiasm seems to have run away with me, but perhaps you can get some ideas from both replies.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
One of the most outstanding tour plans that I have ever read! Way to go Craig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
In the cave country, you cannot do better than visiting Mammoth Cave (National Park). A selection of cave tours are available but you'd be wise to reserve your ticket ahead of time - see the park's website for more info.

Lost River Cave is in Bowling Green, and offers boat tours. The cave is in a very dramatic and historic setting.

Also not too faraway is Kentucky Down Under, just outside of Horse Cave (a town). Ky Down Under includes a fine collection of very well-cared for Australian birds and animals, plus a very "decorated" cave, Kentucky Caverns, just below the surface. In the town of Horse Cave is the American Cave Museum, with adjacent Hidden River Cave.

There are lots of antique and craft shops in the cave country, if you want to spend more time above ground.

You may want to see My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown. I am not sure when their annual outdoor musical about the life of Stephen Foster begins this season, but it's well-worth seeing.

If you're looping back towards Lexington and the Horse Park, check other similar threads for nearby attractions like Shakertown, Old Fort Harrod, Berea, Old Frankfort Pike, Frankfort, and info about museum houses in Lexington. You might also do well to check with the State Department of Tourism and have some free material sent to you ahead of time. There are welcome centers near the state line on each of Kentucky's Interstates (the Louisville and Cincinnati welcome centers are a bit farther down the road) - there are helpful and friendly employees there who can answer questions and again, provide you with ample maps, brochures, coupons, and other helpful materials.

Since you'll be crossing Tennessee en route to Kentucky, do look into nearby attractions there as well - the Great Smoky Mountains are pretty much on your way, as is Chattanooga, if you follow I-75 north or back home after your stay in Ky. Lots to see and do in both vicinities...

It appears your trip may include Memorial Day - if so, you may need overnight reservations at most B and Bs, though chain motels should be able to accommodate you. I expect cave tour tickets for Mammoth Cave will also be in high demand that weekend, so plan accordingly.

Later... Oops! just realized I posted a very similar response to your other inquiry - sorry about that, my enthusiasm seems to have run away with me, but perhaps you can get some ideas from both replies.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
Natural bridge and Red River Gorge are about an hour east of Lexington. Both have wonderful scenery and hiking trails. The Bridge has a skylift if you don't want to walk to the top. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
For unique eats Owensboro would top my list. Where else on earth can you get bbq mutton on a country foods buffet??

Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 5,989 times
Bardstown, KY is a must stop as it is a Kentucky Gem with My Old Kentucky Home State Park as well as being the Bourbon capital of the World. We host ten of thousands of visitors each year who visit our beautiful downtown, great restaurants and quaint shops. [url=http://www.visitbardstown.com]Historic Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky - The Bourbon Capital of the World - The Bourbon Trail[/url]

Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
And on the HorsePark/bed and breakfast note- taking Iron Works from the Park east to Paris Pike north into Paris is a B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L drive and there's a very nice B&B in Paris, but the name escapes me!! I'm sure someone on this board can tell us the name!! The woman who owns the B&B also owns the little lunch counter in J.J. Newberry's right in Paris. Her name, I believe, is Lil! Good luck and enjoy your adventures!!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

This was a great post! I have done most of this more than once, having lived here all of my life, and it made me want to do it all again. Loved it!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Thank you, dixiegirl7 and tomocox! It's summertime, and the travelin' is easy.

Not as easy as yesterday before the gas prices went up about thirty cents overnight...but still easy in other ways. Be careful on the roads, and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky