U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM

383 posts, read 1,039,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I am wondering if hiking in the summer is feasible due to ticks and mosquitos? we don't have humidity in WA so the mosquitos are few and there are deer ticks and sometimes you can get them from hiking, but I never have. I'll be there mid Oct so I am hoping to see some nice fall colors. I also really miss thunderstorms. I don't know where that came from.

Ticks, no. Mosquitos, occasionally, but not often. Low precipitation levels usually, unlike places such as Chicago and anywhere along the coast with large bodies of water (Lake Michigan, Gulf Coast). The problem with hiking there are these little pods that get stuck to your shoes, which were quite annoying. But they only come if you walk by or directly in the numerous creek systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,952,023 times
Quote:
Hmmm....I guess my housing budget is no more than 150K, hopefully less. I really just want a small house 2 bed 1.5 bath but would like a large lot.

As far as things I like to do: hike, bike, plays, symphonies, opera, etc---although I am willing to travel for the "city type stuff" I would rather live in an area where my immediate surroundings allow me to enjoy nature, is removed from the busyness, and make friends with the neighbors.

Should I post this on the Lou and Lex threads as well?

Why don't you look into my neck of the woods? Try searching the 40216,40258 and 40272 zip codes. There are several parks in Louisville as well as several driving distance. One near me, Iroqouis park, has an ampitheater with plays and concerts, it is on a hill so there is good biking/hiking and the view from the top is nice. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Ticks, no. Mosquitos, occasionally, but not often. Low precipitation levels usually, unlike places such as Chicago and anywhere along the coast with large bodies of water (Lake Michigan, Gulf Coast). The problem with hiking there are these little pods that get stuck to your shoes, which were quite annoying. But they only come if you walk by or directly in the numerous creek systems.
Here we have it all... humidity, ticks and mosquitos but with some Off on you'll be fine. I don't have to deal with ticks too awfully bad but it is on occasion and sometimes they are the tiny little ticks you can't hardly see.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:12 PM

383 posts, read 1,039,051 times
I've never really had those problems. I lived in Northern Kentucky, so I don't really know how it is by you. I did go camping in central Kentucky, and it was bad down there but not too bad.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
I've never really had those problems. I lived in Northern Kentucky, so I don't really know how it is by you. I did go camping in central Kentucky, and it was bad down there but not too bad.
I dunno why it would be that much different where you are but then again the lack of rain has kept the skeeters down some this year. ticks, however, I have dealt with many times (I have even gotten the in my yard before!)

Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 43,672 times
Hey Cobalt,
You didn't mention what type of business your in, but have you thought about Bowling Green, Ky?
It is a nice mix of small town / mid size city. Fairly good industrial base and home to GM Corvette plant. BG is a college town and is the regional "mecca" for eateries and shopping, roughly 50,000 population and plenty of housing in your price range.

Plus it is only about an hour North of Nash-vegas, if you need more city style entertainment.

Either way, welcome to Kentucky.
Have you seen the movie, Elizabethtown? I thought it was a very accurate depiction of rural KY.

Good luck.
Ernie

Last edited by ernieb.2; 09-27-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM

5,349 posts, read 10,843,714 times
I have a broad-based background. I have a masters in English and have taught at the college level, but if I were to pursue employment with a college or university, I would go for an administrative job (done that too). Currently I work for a government contractor where I was a technical writer for about 2 years, and now I have moved into the document control coordinator position. I've done alot more and could do alot more, but these are my most recent, (with the past 5 years) positions.

Thanks for your suggestions. I really want to make the most of my time. I'd like to get a feel for each area (Lou, Lex, N KY) and then go from there. It's difficult because I like progressive areas but alot of those come with crime and sometimes some very loose morals. I like Alaska very much because you have the small town feel with some progression in areas, but it's a very much live and let live mentality. I'd like the progression without the congestion LOL---does that make sense? I understand I'd have to at least work in the metro areas. I really don't want to live in a cookie cutter, big box store area, but I dont really want the beat up pick up trucks parked on the front lawn alongside the tolit planters---saw alot of that in rural Texas--lived in it. It was fun, but you know!!

Cobolt

Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,754,979 times
Quote:
Hmmm....I guess my housing budget is no more than 150K, hopefully less. I really just want a small house 2 bed 1.5 bath but would like a large lot.

As far as things I like to do: hike, bike, plays, symphonies, opera, etc---although I am willing to travel for the "city type stuff" I would rather live in an area where my immediate surroundings allow me to enjoy nature, is removed from the busyness, and make friends with the neighbors.

Should I post this on the Lou and Lex threads as well?
Yes..you should. Louisville is a much bigger city than Lex....and Cincy is quite a notch larger than Louisville. Louisville has great historic areas where you can find the home you are looking for. For what you have described, you seem to be a PERFECT fit for some of the older 2 bedroom homes in Crestwood and Pewee Valley, KY. Just 30 minutes to downtown Louisville WITH traffic, these are very pleasant tree lined suburbs only 10 minutes away from major mall shopping and 20-30 minutes away from the culture, arts, and upscale restuarants of the city. google the map of la grange road and central avenue and then look at the older streets around there.

Also, I think you will like the older parts of Middletown and Jeffersontown, KY, which are suburbs in Jefferson County, which are now part of the city technically. Another option may actually be Jeffersonville, IN. Just east of the downtown area are some older homes on large lots and they are super cheap and only 10 minutes from downtown Louisville!!! There are plenty more options but start there

Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,754,979 times
Quote:
I have a broad-based background. I have a masters in English and have taught at the college level, but if I were to pursue employment with a college or university, I would go for an administrative job (done that too). Currently I work for a government contractor where I was a technical writer for about 2 years, and now I have moved into the document control coordinator position. I've done alot more and could do alot more, but these are my most recent, (with the past 5 years) positions.

Thanks for your suggestions. I really want to make the most of my time. I'd like to get a feel for each area (Lou, Lex, N KY) and then go from there. It's difficult because I like progressive areas but alot of those come with crime and sometimes some very loose morals. I like Alaska very much because you have the small town feel with some progression in areas, but it's a very much live and let live mentality. I'd like the progression without the congestion LOL---does that make sense? I understand I'd have to at least work in the metro areas. I really don't want to live in a cookie cutter, big box store area, but I dont really want the beat up pick up trucks parked on the front lawn alongside the tolit planters---saw alot of that in rural Texas--lived in it. It was fun, but you know!!

Cobolt
If you like progressive...you must check the Highlands. There is virtually no crime to worry about in that area, especially violent crime. Drive up and down Bardstown rd starting at the watterson expressway (I-264) and working north. Pay careful attention to the intersection of Bardstown and Bonnycastle. Drive up and down some of the streets around there, and check out Cherokee Road. Frankfort Avenue and its cross streets like Peterson, Stiltz, Hillcrest, Canons, and Pennsylvania are must sees as well. I have extensive recommendations and also have tour options that I give. Please Private Message me with questions.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 AM

5,349 posts, read 10,843,714 times
Thanks Stx,

I am cutting/pasting all these suggestions into a little document to accompany me. I love love my job and my regular visits to Trader Joes, but I am so ready to leave this area. The drivers here are so wreckless and in a hurry to get nowhere. Not only do they ride your bumper and stop way too close, but they don't wait for you to clear the intersection at a 4 way stop sign before they make a left turn! Crazy.

I will post this on the Lex and Lou threads as well. I was a bit hesitant at first but I am starting to get more excited about checking out KY.

cobolt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or