U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 AM

5,349 posts, read 10,856,992 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be visiting the fine state of KY next month on my exploratory relocation trip. Because I realize that the job markets with the most opportunities are within the metroplex areas, I am considering Louisville, Lexington, and Cinci for work (work in Cinci while living in N KY), and perhaps living in the metro areas for 6-12 months until I purchase a house. That being said, I would be looking for an older house in an established neighborhood with a bigger lot, mature trees, etc. I don't care for the newer communities and cookie cutter complexes. Schools are of no concern to me, seeing I have no children. I also do not need a big house---perhaps a 2bedroom and 1.5 bath---certainly nothing more than 1000 sq ft.

Can you suggest areas outside the metro I should visit during my trip keeping my housing requests into consideration? As I said, I'd simply live in or close to the city temporarily until I found the house.

Thanks in advance
Cobolt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 PM

Okay. Obviously no one has any input for me.

Thanks for your support

Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM

383 posts, read 1,039,911 times
You need to be patient, this area isn't that active.

I would suggest Taylor Mill, in Kenton County, right below Cincinnati. Literally a ten minute commute. Very small town living, pretty small to large houses with lots of things to do.

Houses are old, area was established in 1960's I believe and a lot of newer houses are there too, but not cookie cutter houses like you say. More original houses.

I personally lived there and it was great. Loved everyday of it.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,971,886 times
cobolt you haven't mentioned how much you want to spend and there are neighborhoods like that all over the Louisville area. It would also help if I knew what kind of things you are looking for in an area such as types of things to do.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Hmmm....I guess my housing budget is no more than 150K, hopefully less. I really just want a small house 2 bed 1.5 bath but would like a large lot.

As far as things I like to do: hike, bike, plays, symphonies, opera, etc---although I am willing to travel for the "city type stuff" I would rather live in an area where my immediate surroundings allow me to enjoy nature, is removed from the busyness, and make friends with the neighbors.

Should I post this on the Lou and Lex threads as well?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Hmmm....I guess my housing budget is no more than 150K, hopefully less. I really just want a small house 2 bed 1.5 bath but would like a large lot.

As far as things I like to do: hike, bike, plays, symphonies, opera, etc---although I am willing to travel for the "city type stuff" I would rather live in an area where my immediate surroundings allow me to enjoy nature, is removed from the busyness, and make friends with the neighbors.

Should I post this on the Lou and Lex threads as well?
Like I said, Taylor Mill Kentucky. Hiking? So many places to hike that it is actually scary. I live in Romeoville, Illinois, and the area is flat and industrialized to death. There isn't a wooded area in site. Completely opposite in Taylor Mill. In my backyard I had a creek system that ran a long way into the woods, and I always had fun exploring them. Biking is also fun, especially if you like the challenge of biking up monstrous hills. Not ridiculously high hills, but it is a challenge none the less because the entire area is loaded with rolling hills. Symphonies and opera can be found in the nearby cities like Cincinnati and Covington (literally, 10 miles away and a very short drive compared to Chicago standards).

Neighbors are extremely friendly, I was a kid growing up in this area and I was friends with a lot of the adults, who were friends with my parents. Such nice people, I loved everyone of them. A very close community, schools there don't have too many kids so if you do ever have children, they will know all their classmates names, where they live, etc.

Houses can be expensive, and can be cheap. You can buy a very nice house for very cheap in this area. They run from 70k to 350k. But more than not they are around the 100k to 250k range. Not cookie cutter houses either, which is what we deal with here in Illinois where the housing developments have three models, and three different colors to choose from. VERY boring.

Trust me when I say you should stick to the Northern Kentucky area, specifically the town I mentioned. You WON'T be disappointed.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 PM

I grew up in Chicago, but I've traveled around alot and have lived in many states. I am currently in WA state but the cost of living is crazy---oh I can live here, but the hope of ever owning a house isn't there---not only that, but the cookie-cutter, touch your neighbor's house subdivisions are everywhere. I remember going through KY and into S Indiana and being pleased in seeing the houses further apart from one another. I also am really tired of distant and cold people. It's very hard to make friends in WA. They are very reserved and to-themselves. Previously I moved from Texas where I lived the past 10 years, so I really miss the warmth of the people.

I know I won't find the kind of mountain hiking there is here, but I still want to get out and enjoy nature.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM

I also lived in Texas, for 12 years of my life. Born in Dallas, raised in Corpus Christi, lived in Beaumont. Many friendly people, but I prefer the friendlyness of Kentucky. And I love the hiking in Kentucky. Like you, I am a huge outdoors person and love being able to travel into the woods along creek systems or trails for a couple miles without running into people. It is a nice feeling.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:26 PM

323 posts, read 990,175 times
While I was stationed in San Antonio, I went deep sea fishing off the coast of Corpus Christi.. talk about a wild ride!!!... Also, my best friend was born and raised in Beaumont, TX. Her parents and I believe several siblings still live there. Last name of May. Stephanie to be exact... don't remember how small Beaumont is... but she had two older sisters and a younger brother and sister as well. Anywhooooo.

Last edited by desiree253; 09-26-2007 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM

I am wondering if hiking in the summer is feasible due to ticks and mosquitos? we don't have humidity in WA so the mosquitos are few and there are deer ticks and sometimes you can get them from hiking, but I never have. I'll be there mid Oct so I am hoping to see some nice fall colors. I also really miss thunderstorms. I don't know where that came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or