U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 10,839 times

Advertisements

We'll be in Bowling Green next weekend (Oct 4-7)for the NMRA Ford Finals, we've been making this trip for several years now, but have never ask anyones opinion on the best places to eat while there - our hotel is on Scottsville Rd just a few blocks off exit 22 & would like to stay in that general area if possible.

thanks in advance for all suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 AM

103 posts, read 408,008 times
On Scottsville rd. you have dozens of place to choose from. I personally like Lone Star, Outback, and Ryans(over 65 bridge, first right).

Old 09-26-2007, 03:44 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,021,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthernstang View Post
We'll be in Bowling Green next weekend (Oct 4-7)for the NMRA Ford Finals, we've been making this trip for several years now, but have never ask anyones opinion on the best places to eat while there - our hotel is on Scottsville Rd from the I-65 interchange just a few blocks off exit 22 & would like to stay in that general area if possible.

thanks in advance for all suggestions
I prefer non-chain stuff, but one of my favorite places is Rafferty's. Rafferty's is a small chain that originally started in Bowling Green but now has a few around the southeast US. The food is really good, American style bar and grill dining. Rafferty's is about 2-3 miles up Scottsville Road, going towards downtown (North), on your left.

Montana Grill is a great place just a little past Rafferty's on your right, I've never had a bad meal there, great place for a devout carnivore. It has a cool, "mountain lodge" atmosphere.

Puerto Vallarta is a very popular Mexican place, behind Starbucks in a small strip mall near the intersection of Scottsville Road and Cave Mill. The food is really good (love their fajitas) plus cheap margaritas and pitchers of beer.

For breakfast, I recommend skipping the mobs at Cracker Barrel and go to Gregory Lee's. Go South on Scottsville Road past the interstate and it is on your left. It is in a little building that says "Home Cookin'" on the roof. They have great homestyle breakfast. Try the "homemade" sausage patties, it is the best breakfast sausage I've ever had.

A good place for BBQ is south on Scottsville Road past Gregory Lee's a few miles, called Split Tree BBQ. It is well past all the retail development, kind of out in the country.

I wish I could recommend more stuff downtown, but there isn't that much to talk about. 440 Main is nice, a little pricier (about $12-20 entrees), but what you would expect for the atmosphere and quality. It is on the square and has a good bar scene at night. Mariah's is one block off the square in a very nice old buidling that was restored after a fire years ago. I use to love their food, but I think they've slipped a little based on my last visit. But if you are downtown, I recommend giving them a try. There are a couple other bars and restaurants on the square, but I'm not sure of the names anymore (they change name all the time in BG, don't ask why).

Last edited by rnc76; 09-26-2007 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 43,691 times
I agree with RNC76,
I have lived around BG for 15 years and I can second his opinions...he knows BG very well.
Mariah's is my wife's favorite.
BTW, Bowling Green is known to have the most restaurants for any city its size...do a yellow pages search and I think I counted around 250 eateries.

If you like good 'ole Mom and Pop kookin', you might try Red's Coach and Table or the Smoky Pig for BBQ. They are both on Old L-ville Rd, near Beech Bend. If you come off I-65 at exit 28, you will see Smokey pig on the left about 2 miles before you cross Barren River Bridge. Its on the left at a stoplight for Old Louisville rd. Reds is about half a mile towards the river on the old road.

Both these places are nothin' fancy, but good "greasy spoon" Cracker Barrel style food.

You definately won't starve in BG :-)
Have fun and welcome to BG.
Ernie

Last edited by ernieb.2; 09-27-2007 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,021,457 times
^^^ Good to hear about Mariah's, I'll have to go back next time I'm home. My last meal there was mediocre, but now you've made me want to go back. Atmosphere wise, it is easily one of the best places in BG.

Thanks for the props. I like to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or