U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:08 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,971,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
As for seeing racist attitudes, every single extremely racist person I know is from Ohio, especially Cincinnati.
I totally agree. I have the same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:21 PM

7 posts, read 111,204 times
winchester is fine, my sis and her honey have a country home and get no flack. guess u have to know how to deal with people to get along with them no matter where u go. i have no problems dealing with racism, it's the racist's problem, not mine! ; P

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 PM

7 posts, read 111,204 times
i don't have a problem with racism. i learned early on that people who are racist are missing out on a whole lot of good friendships and it's their loss, not mine.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 AM

17 posts, read 46,468 times
I've lived in Hopkinsville and have spent many a summer in Leitchfield. I can tell you that really neither would be a great location. There are few opportunities in Hopkinsville but there is a very diverse population. Unfortunately many (not all), but many of the African American population in Hopkinsville are not productive members of society. Actually many of the population of Hopkinsville in general are not giving back much. Leitchfield does not have the same diverse population. I remember asking my grandparents once when I was a child (about 8 or 9) "why we never saw any black people in Leitchfield?" Being from Hopkinsville, I was not used to that. I believe that the last puclic lynching of a black man in KY was in front of the Grayson Co Courthouse. A lot of racial tension is still harbored there so no one moves in and the few that have lived there slowly have moved out.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,832 times
Default Is KY progressive and healthy?

Nice to read the quotes. I am considering relocating to KY but never would have considered it in a million years due to reputation of racism. Reading this gives me hope. I am also a vegan and need healthy places to eat. Is there smoking in restaurants there? That is a major red flag for me. If so are there more conscious and progressive towns where smoking is banned. Forgive the stereotype but you must realize that many people in this believe KY is a racist place. So what about conscious food choices and health awareness.
Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM

235 posts, read 366,971 times
Several years back the Klan showed up in town to have a rally. They picked the same day there was an Elvis impersonator performing at the Court House. More people went to see Elvis than the Klan. Actually quite a few of the Klansman left the rally to go see Elvis.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
several years back the klan showed up in town to have a rally. They picked the same day there was an elvis impersonator performing at the court house. More people went to see elvis than the klan. Actually quite a few of the klansman left the rally to go see elvis.
lol!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunessally View Post
Nice to read the quotes. I am considering relocating to KY but never would have considered it in a million years due to reputation of racism. Reading this gives me hope. I am also a vegan and need healthy places to eat. Is there smoking in restaurants there? That is a major red flag for me. If so are there more conscious and progressive towns where smoking is banned. Forgive the stereotype but you must realize that many people in this believe KY is a racist place. So what about conscious food choices and health awareness.
Thanks
Vegan.... couple of veg restaurants in Lexington. Lexington has a restaurant smoking ban.

As for stereotypes and whatever people think of Kentucky, they are free to think their thoughts all they want... whatever...

Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,832 times
Default what about smoking and healthfood

Is there smoking in public places. Does anybody out there go to health food stores? Are there Vegetarian restaurants nearby? How about bike paths?
In colorado we have lots of solar power and straw bale homes and stuff like that. Anything like that happening here? I How many days a year does the sun come out? Is it blue sky or lots of clouds?
Thanks everyone

Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,413,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunessally View Post
Is there smoking in public places. Does anybody out there go to health food stores? Are there Vegetarian restaurants nearby? How about bike paths?
In colorado we have lots of solar power and straw bale homes and stuff like that. Anything like that happening here? I How many days a year does the sun come out? Is it blue sky or lots of clouds?
Thanks everyone

Off the top of my head, I know Lexington, Ashland, and Paintsville all have smoking bans. There are options for vegetarians, and health food/whole foods/organic food folks.

As for Bike paths...this is Kentucky...every state park has at least one - if not 100- bike paths..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky