U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2008, 12:21 AM
 
1,712 posts, read 5,360,134 times
Reputation: 681

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunessally View Post
Is there smoking in public places. Does anybody out there go to health food stores? Are there Vegetarian restaurants nearby? How about bike paths?
In colorado we have lots of solar power and straw bale homes and stuff like that. Anything like that happening here? I How many days a year does the sun come out? Is it blue sky or lots of clouds?
Thanks everyone
1. Lexington has a public smoking ban, as I stated previously.
2. Lexington has at least 2 vegetarian restaurants, as I stated previously.
3. Bike paths? Not so much.... sorry.... I wish.
4. Health food stores? Lexington has 2 first-class health food stores, and a couple of second-rate independent ones. People do shop at them.
5. No solar power, no straw bale homes. It rains way too much for those things to be practical. Lots of clouds, especially from November to April. Very very heavy cloud cover. It doesn't get very cold, though.

I'm not sure about the rest of Kentucky. If you are interested in Kentucky, you might be happiest in the Highlands area of Louisville - there are many large parks suitable for biking, and you will find many like-minded folks to hang out with. In Lexington, the bike thing can be frustrating. Believe me, I know. However, if you like to check out Lexington, I think you might like the area around the University of Kentucky campus, or possibly the area near Transylvania University. I rode my bike a lot when I lived near Transy; however, it was all street- and sidewalk-riding.... no bike paths.

Kentucky is much greener than Colorado, much rainier, and it is very much a Southern culture. If you like that, great. If not, it's best you hear about it here before making a move.

 
Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,621,369 times
Reputation: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
1. Lexington has a public smoking ban, as I stated previously.
2. Lexington has at least 2 vegetarian restaurants, as I stated previously.
3. Bike paths? Not so much.... sorry.... I wish.
4. Health food stores? Lexington has 2 first-class health food stores, and a couple of second-rate independent ones. People do shop at them.
5. No solar power, no straw bale homes. It rains way too much for those things to be practical. Lots of clouds, especially from November to April. Very very heavy cloud cover. It doesn't get very cold, though.

I'm not sure about the rest of Kentucky. If you are interested in Kentucky, you might be happiest in the Highlands area of Louisville - there are many large parks suitable for biking, and you will find many like-minded folks to hang out with. In Lexington, the bike thing can be frustrating. Believe me, I know. However, if you like to check out Lexington, I think you might like the area around the University of Kentucky campus, or possibly the area near Transylvania University. I rode my bike a lot when I lived near Transy; however, it was all street- and sidewalk-riding.... no bike paths.

Kentucky is much greener than Colorado, much rainier, and it is very much a Southern culture. If you like that, great. If not, it's best you hear about it here before making a move.
Good post!
 
Old 12-03-2008, 03:03 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,694 times
Reputation: 10
Thumbs down Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrw View Post
Like any place, it's about the values! If punks, thugs, or villains exist in a place that doesn't welcome it they will not be like. Many blacks aren't liked because of the values they instill on TV and music as a forum. They don't instill good values and ruin it for the other blacks that don't embrace it!
They're are "******s" of all colors, but the country is not the place to "act" ghetto. Fred you sound educated, hardworking, and should be an asset.
It's ironic that you say many blacks are not liked because of the values they instill on tv and music etc.. What are those values? Are you meaning hip hop as far as music? Well what about jazz, rythym and blues, funk, and rock and roll? Blacks have created and mainted and recreated many genres of music. If you do a google search you will find out that more white kids purchase the hip hop albums than black kids. And what do you mean on t.v? Movies and programs that you don't get? If a black person doesn't get grunge does that make the erson who articipates in that lifestyle a villan or a thug? And what do you mean Fred sounds educated, hardworking and should be an asset? If you are uneducated and hardworking you must be black? If you google the results of whites versus blacks on crack cocaine or any other drugs whites win, if you google who is redominantly on welfare whites win. I think that you are a racist by the remarks that you made. You cannot judge an entire race of people by anothers actions. If so, I would judge you because the history of whites are to kill steal and destroy, like they have done the native indians, the african americans, and the mayan mexicans. I don't judge you because of that. Kentucky sounded like a nice place until you opened your mouth and reconfirmed that it is very racist. You are the worst because you are racist and don't realize it....Your comment was disrespectful and Fred I know you can read between the lines.
 
Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,261,825 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by meherrin_indian View Post
If you google the results of whites versus blacks on crack cocaine or any other drugs whites win, if you google who is redominantly on welfare whites win. I think that you are a racist by the remarks that you made. You cannot judge an entire race of people by anothers actions. If so, I would judge you because the history of whites are to kill steal and destroy, like they have done the native indians, the african americans, and the mayan mexicans. I don't judge you because of that. Kentucky sounded like a nice place until you opened your mouth and reconfirmed that it is very racist. You are the worst because you are racist and don't realize it....Your comment was disrespectful and Fred I know you can read between the lines.
More whites on welfare? More on cocaine? This does not take into account blacks are 13% of the population now does it? And whites are still at around 75% History of whites to kill and destroy? What race created all the technology that makes your life so much easier? How about finding cures to diseases, including those that come from places like Africa? What race was the scientist who discovered a cure for small pox? You know the disease that was wiping out Africa? Who do you think performed the first bone marrow transplant on the first black sickle cell anemia patient? Guess what race he was?? Do blacks ever think about things like that?? I often wonder???

Blacks are definetly responsible for some really good music, and I own a lot of it. But they haven't made any good music for many many years. No more Donna Summer, Diana Ross, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Gladys Knight, Barry White, Earth Wind & Fire; I miss them all! ....Now, Rap and Hip Hop are the clear dominating choices of music on the radio--and that music is so horrible; the only way to get away from it, is to listen to oldies.

While you say, You cannot judge an entire race of people by anothers actions. You certainly can distinguish some very clear facts about that race when you see the same thing...over and over and over.
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 12,986,196 times
Reputation: 8127
one poster says---"if you google"------------"if you google"

I have --googled-- thousands of cities in many southern states in search of a retirement destination.

I don't care what the race of the person living next to me is, but I will not move to a city or town that has a crime rate.

Most of the time, when I go to ---"Detailed Profile"-- I can predict the crime rate of that town /city by just looking at the racial balance of that town /city.

whites to blacks----------
50/50---------crime rate 1.50----2.0 HIGHER than national average
75/25---------crime rate 1.25----1.50 HIGHER than national average
90/10---------crime rate-------------BELOW national average

I have found this to be true in the vast majority of towns or cities regardless of their size, regardless of their population, regardless of their location, regardless of the percent of people in poverty.

Why is this ?
 
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,261,825 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
one poster says---"if you google"------------"if you google"

I have --googled-- thousands of cities in many southern states in search of a retirement destination.

I don't care what the race of the person living next to me is, but I will not move to a city or town that has a crime rate.

Most of the time, when I go to ---"Detailed Profile"-- I can predict the crime rate of that town /city by just looking at the racial balance of that town /city.

whites to blacks----------
50/50---------crime rate 1.50----2.0 HIGHER than national average
75/25---------crime rate 1.25----1.50 HIGHER than national average
90/10---------crime rate-------------BELOW national average

I have found this to be true in the vast majority of towns or cities regardless of their size, regardless of their population, regardless of their location, regardless of the percent of people in poverty.

Why is this ?
Because blacks are more prone to criminal activity than whites. But you're not suppose to say that because its considered "racist". It's not just in this country, its all over the world. Nigeria has more crime than any other country in the world, and it is also the most populated in Africa.
 
Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Florida
11 posts, read 29,440 times
Reputation: 14
Default same questions

Couldn't believe your questions. I have very similar ones myself. I'm looking into Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia. Having lived in Seattle for over 20 years I'm pretty sick of phoney politically correct hypocrites. If you get any more information, pass them on please. It's back to the country for me.
 
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Florida
11 posts, read 29,440 times
Reputation: 14
Default hummm

Because blacks are more prone to criminal activity than whites? Gee, I thought it had something to do with institutional racism, a long, long history of slavery that the world still has not healed from and still exists (think "white slavery", child prostitution in the present), deliberate and planned economic sabotage on an economic level, educational imbalance, systematic implantation of alcohol and drugs in non-white communities (that was already in the planning and implementation stages immediately after Mandela got his freedom in South Africa. It worked in the US, Asia, Latin America. The Middle East is next). I could go on and on. I am not black. I am a highly educated and well informed Hispanic woman and that, my dear, is the most dangerous person you can be to the powers that be. Those powers enslave all of us including you because it sets up the barriers that prevent us from talking to one another. Until we come together as human beings who all have a right (not a privilege for a select few) to high quality education, health care, sanitation, nutrition, housing, clothing and are able to bring our children up in a world free of prejudice none of us will be free. Your comments may be correct demographically, but the tone reeks of racism.

Last edited by herrery; 12-12-2008 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Misspelled demographically
 
Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 AM
 
7 posts, read 17,980 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Because blacks are more prone to criminal activity than whites.
You don't say, well this is something you need to read up on.

Table 61 - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_61.html - broken link)

FBI - Crime in the US, 2002 - Persons Arrested (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/arrested/04-table61.html - broken link)
 
Old 12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Central Kentucky
850 posts, read 2,857,720 times
Reputation: 503
I cannot believe this thread is still running. Have ya'll checked the OP date? Amazing.

I say that because it never ceases to amaze me how one can get so caught up in a conversation like this. It just goes on and on...

Perhaps the racial issues would take a rest if we all were color blind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top