U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 14,828 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Texas my whole life and have had the same job for twenty years. Now I have to transfer to either Florence or Covington.
I have never been to either area. Which city would be best fit my lifestyle.
Me and my wife enjoy the outdoors fishing, camping. We would also like to have a large city within an hours drive, which of these two citys would best fits our lifestyles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 10:20 AM

130 posts, read 529,771 times
go to Northern Kentucky Association of REALTORS&reg and do some searches on acreage.

If you live in either city/area you'll be very close to Cincinnati.

I really don't suggest Florence to relocation folks b/c it's just not that impressive (sorry to those who love Florence). I used to live in Villa Hills. I've also lived in Ft Mitchell, Covington and Hyde Park, OH.

I like a lot of the rural areas of Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties in Kentucky.. I think your drive time to work in either Florence or Covington would be fine if you decided to live rural.

Good luck.

BTW, Covington is a city but it's a great city with history. You might want to check out Park Hills.. If you drive on the back roads (Amsterdam) from Park Hills out to Villa Hills you'll feel like your out in the middle of no where.. but your not.. it's a great illusion to feeling like you are more rural.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM

688 posts, read 2,772,128 times
Florence and Covington are only about 10 miles apart. Both are basically suburbs of Cincinnati. Covington is closer to downtown Cincinnati - actually right across it on the Ohio river - and has an older, more urban feel, with some historic and ethnic neighborhoods.

Florence is a little further out from the city area, and is more of a typical suburban setting. There is a decent-sized mall as well as lots of other chain shopping and restaurants. Pretty much like many other suburban areas with housing developments, big box stores, etc.

From either location, you could also choose to live in some of the other N Ky areas, or live a little further out into some of the more rural settings. Both are right off of I-75, so pretty convenient for commuting if you want to live a little further out. If that's the case, Florence is further south and therefore further away from the traffic and congestion that starts building up around Covington during rush hour.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM

156 posts, read 569,391 times
Also try out Ft. Thomas and Wilder... Covington is pretty urban feeling down there in the river valley. You'll be plenty close some of the best places in the entire US to do the things you love (see Red River Gorge and the Daniel Boone National Forest)

Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM

201 posts, read 433,519 times
You're pretty much good in any place in NKY. It's only about a twenty minute commute to any place in the area, Independence is nice and growing fast, Piner is up and coming, Richwood is also pretty nice.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM

5,641 posts, read 17,311,100 times
We visited that area a couple of years ago. It seemed to me that Florence area could have a potential problem with traffic because of sprawl. Is that a problem there for OP?

We liked covington when we visited, very urban - mini-cincinnati. We liked cincinnati a lot.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:12 PM

25 posts, read 79,190 times
I would NOT suggest Florence. It's sooo boring. It's the typical sprawl, clogged highways, and cookie cutter houses. It's very boring.
Covington's really cool. It's got an urban feel but you are within a mid-sized city and not a far drive from rural America.
I live in Erlanger just outside of Covington. Kenton and Campbell County are much better in my opinion compared to Boone County. Boone is just spraaaawwl. It's boring.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM

310 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Default Florence or Covington

It sounds like the real issue is not the city but the county. Whether you want Boone County/Florence or Kenton County/Covington. Both would be within an hour drive of Cincinnati.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM

201 posts, read 433,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post
It sounds like the real issue is not the city but the county. Whether you want Boone County/Florence or Kenton County/Covington. Both would be within an hour drive of Cincinnati.
Half hour tops..

Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 AM

90 posts, read 288,382 times
In the research I've done on the Covington area, I have found that it is home to a very high amount of crime (in fact,the stats are so bad that I'm quite surprised that no one here has pointed this out to you).

I only bring this up because I plan on visiting the Kentucky area and I've researched the various areas that were recommended to me and no one mentioned the crime to me either. You should check it out at "Sperling's Best Places" if you haven't already done so. Lot's of fair warning about Covington over there!

Just thought you should know.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky