U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 AM

393 posts, read 1,741,041 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am putting this in many areas in KY and TN.......these areas seem to be the more inexpensive areas to live for now.......! I am looking for the impossible it seems here. I need a place that is affordable for myself, maybe $400/month for a studio or a place that I can rent w/o employment until I can settled and buy myself a home for $80,000 or less. There has got to be areas in KY, and TN that I can live this inexpensively. Ideally w/o being in the middle of nowhere.....I need to work for several years yet, and would look for something full or part time when I get there along with a house. With out moving out in the middle of nowhere, and having a college nearby or a prosperous downtown would be a real plus for me. I don't need much, just a nice library, maybe a superwalmart for shopping, a park or two!
Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 09:12 AM

915 posts, read 3,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Hi, I am putting this in many areas in KY and TN.......these areas seem to be the more inexpensive areas to live for now.......! I am looking for the impossible it seems here. I need a place that is affordable for myself, maybe $400/month for a studio or a place that I can rent w/o employment until I can settled and buy myself a home for $80,000 or less. There has got to be areas in KY, and TN that I can live this inexpensively. Ideally w/o being in the middle of nowhere.....I need to work for several years yet, and would look for something full or part time when I get there along with a house. With out moving out in the middle of nowhere, and having a college nearby or a prosperous downtown would be a real plus for me. I don't need much, just a nice library, maybe a superwalmart for shopping, a park or two!
Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.
Not a native of KY, so I can't give any particulars - sorry. Just a single female who is researching Louisville, KY, as an area to retire to when the time comes, so I read the KY Board.

However, on the Retirement Board, there are two threads by kate 45 and wisteria that may give you some food for thought. From reading the posts, these two ladies are considering moving to new locations alone, which sounds like what you may be doing.

Hope this helps!

Retiring on VERY limited budget..where to live? by kate45

Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why? by wisteria

Old 10-06-2007, 06:59 PM

21 posts, read 65,795 times
Look at Realtor.com for homes.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

We did and found what we were looking for. Been here 6 months now and love it. Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:42 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,999 times
Murray Ky.
Rent: Lots of students, lots of Rentals, plenty under $400.
Homes: I got my two bath, two beds for 62500, and avg price dropped from 2000 - 05.
College: Murray State University
Several Parks, one with lots of wooded trails.
Public and University Libraries.
Superwalmart & Super Kroger.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM

252 posts, read 985,863 times
I agree about Murray!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM

323 posts, read 988,966 times
Morehead
Rent cheap... you can find a 1 bdrm for half your stated price
Population : Under 6,000
College: Morehead State University
Parks: Beautiful downtown park with several baseball fields, horseshoes, "skaters park", kiddie park, swimming & kiddie pool, river with fishing, basketball & tennis courts.
Cave Run LakeOnly 9 miles from Cave Run Lake = beach, swimming, fishing, boating, jet-ski's, camping, etc.
Location: sits on I-64... Lexington 1 hr to the West, and Huntington, West Virginia, 1 hour to the East. Beautiful, foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in Rowan County in the middle of the Daniel Boone National Forest.
Shopping Wal-Mart, Super W-Mart opening in January 08, Lowe's, Krogers & Slone's grocery, Movie Theater opening soon... many fast foods, and local shops.

Good luck with wherever you choose!
Welcome to Kentucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or