Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdou View Post
Well, it's all pretty relative. Crowded roads? Sure, at times, but not really. Lots of people moving there? Oh. Not really. I mean consider that the average Louisvillian drives about twenty minutes to work. So a place like La Grange or Crestwood, which is about thirty five minutes, seems like a HAUL to get to work. So there is growth. And yeah there are people moving out to Oldham County. But it's not like Tokyo or anything. Still lots of space. And they're adding schools and facilities at a breakneck pace.

for some reason, oldham is the cult favorite for transplants from the north. I picrure people from sprawlburbs in Chicago talking about it. There are even some places named after chicago serving chicago style dogs by one of the high schools. you also see a lot of people move there from MI, NY, and the rundown parts of OH like cleveland. Oldham is a soccer mom's haven.

I know the Louisville area (Louisville is in the county right next to Oldham County), having moved here in 1989. I've also spent a lot of time in Oldham County. And I grew up in South Bend, Indiana, so I know Chicagoland. This area is nothing like the suburbs of Chicago, I'll tell you that right now. For example, you travel north out of Louisville on one interstate, and as you drive, it's basically country for quite a while. Even while you're officially still IN the city, it's still looking pretty country-like. Not like Chicago, where you can't tell city from suburb from next suburb. Yes. There are areas of suburb around Louisville, but the two towns you mentioned are truly small towns in the country near Louisville. So, you head on up one four lane interstate, and you get off the exit, and you drive a little while on a state road, complete with Walmart and Arby's and that kind of stuff, and then you're in La Grange! Which is truly a cute little town. Town square, court house, restaurants and shops. Crestwood is cute too, although it does not have quite the central town square setup.

Is Crestwood more affluent? I'd say yes. Is La Grange a slum? Not by a long shot. To be honest. And this is just my opinion. Given where you're coming from, if you're looking for some quieter, slower, easier, more peaceful life, you can't go wrong in Oldham County. Period. Personally, I'd let the kind of house you want to live in, and what you can afford, guide me, more so than "is it the right kind of people" kind of thing.

If you're thinking of moving across the country, I'd say a visit is in order. I'm not sure how you feel about rolling green hills, as opposed to desert, but I'd be willing to guess it's prettier here.
well that "country road" that is in the city is actually I-71 passing thru the river flood plain. So no, there isn't tons of development abutting the highway. Try looking at a map next time. Development stretches up 71 from downtown louisville for a solid 15 miles to the Oldham county line. then, the development is a hodge podge for another 10 miles to la grange. Cresstwood, pewee valley, buckner and La Grange all run into each other, but still have plenty of country open spaces all around them. the nicest areas I have seen are the north end of KY 393 heading past North Oldham HS towards the river. The new road that has S Oldham HS seems destined to be the county's sprawl belt. I already noticed a couple typical looking strip malls around there. everyone here knows how to use google I assume? well, look at a map of the area on google and then use the satellite mode. Thats the best way to tell.

Many of the kids receiving free food are actually middle class kids whose parents have found a way to beat the system. There are very very very did I say very?) few poor people left in Oldham County. the ones that are left are likely to be poor whites living in some isolated trailer, but to be honest, I cant even think of any trailer parks in the county. Dont worry, the county is 98% white so you wont have to worry about those "terrible" minorities. i wouldn't be surprised if your child's entire class is white. Wow these boards NEVER cease to amaze me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,042 times
Deaneen, I have lived in La Grange since I was 7 years old. Im now 44 and have 3 children. I have gone through a divorce and have fought very hard to keep my family here. I wouldnt trade it for anything!! My children are excelling in school and one has recently graduated and is now in college. La grange ele. is very diversified but in no way a "lower class" school. I went there as do and did my children. There is very little crime here, other than maybe a speeder. Most arrests are out of towners getting caught just passing through. Oldham county is a beautiful place to call home. The best schools and everybody is treated like family. You couldnt ask for anything better. good luck and hope you find your forever home, as I did, with my county wide family.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,042 times
I have to disagree with bpdou. There are some middle class that beat the system but not all. I personally know of 4 trailer parks. 2 in crestwood and 2 in La Grange, but then I have lived here most of my life. There are still poor families out in the county, most are struggling single parents. I work in the school system, I've seen it all. While the dominant race is still white, you will find a mix of cultures in every classroom, after all, this is a farming community and the farm workers have families with children too. i do believe the state road they were referring is either hwy. 53 or new Moody lane. hwy 53 goes right down the middle of La Grange off of I-71.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM

161 posts, read 410,709 times
Oldham County is an excellent place to call home. The schools are so good that they are now cracking down on people from other counties sneaking their kids into Oldham Co schools! Traffic can be messy on Friday night on the main drag ( 53 ) or if there is a wreck on 71 and they are detouring through Lagrange. Car vs Deer accidents happen quite often on I-71. I don't think you will be disappointed with Oldham Co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky