Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times

Advertisements

Louisville does have some of the most gorgeous parks, I will hand you that. I love the Olmsted one's ~ Iroquois and Cherokee ~ Hard to find a more beautiful park than either one of them, anywhere on earth.
Tom Wallace use to be one of my favorites too. I use to live by Lake of the Woods when I was younger. It is also just a hop, skip and jump to Bernheim Forest, which I love.
My husband loves and misses Louisville because it does have a lot more places to fish than Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Indeed it does.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
No, ma'am. It is not crazy at all. Most of the trees in Lexington were planted. While there is some forest growth, the Bluegrass region is dominated by grassland, which is a primary reason why the horse industry took root there in the first place. Take a good look at it with Google Earth. Then take a good look at Louisville. Louisville has always been a 'city in the woods'. And just south of the city is jefferson Memorial forest, 6,218 acres of the orignal forest that once covered the entire metro area. Within Louisville itself, Iroquois Park is an outlier of that forest, and is 725 acres in extent. Louisville's historic parks were designed by Frederick Law Olmsted as "scenic reservations" of forested hillsides and breathtaking vistas. Other large parks include Cherokee Park, Seneca Park, Black Acre Nature Preserve, Tom Wallace Park, Shawnee Park, and several others. And while it is true that just like Lexington, most of the residential trees have been planted, within those neighborhoods, particularly the older ones, can be found many remnants of the original forest. There are tracks of the original forest in the southwest, and in eastern Jefferson County along Floyd's Fork. Several prominant neighborhoods are also built inside some of these forests, such as Kenwood Hill, Cherokee Triangle, Crestwood, Oak Hills, Waverly Park, South Park, Lake Of The Woods, Lake Forest, and others. In fact, many neighborhoods are named after the woods in which they were developed. Now, I'm not knocking Lexington at all here. Lexington has many scenic views in its metro area. But Louisville is by far the most heavily wooded of the two. That's all I'm saying.
I am not sure why Louisville and Lexington are mentioned together. There is no comparison. One is a major metro while the other is a smallish college town. Their college sports rivalry, location in Ky, and close distance are the only similarities. Lexington is a beautiful town though.

Louisville is 3 times larger than Lexington. You will not see someone from Louisville compare it to Atlanta because frankly, there is no comparison between a medium to large metro and a mega sized world class city.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I am not sure why Louisville and Lexington are mentioned together. There is no comparison. One is a major metro while the other is a smallish college town. Their college sports rivalry, location in Ky, and close distance are the only similarities. Lexington is a beautiful town though.

Louisville is 3 times larger than Lexington. You will not see someone from Louisville compare it to Atlanta because frankly, there is no comparison between a medium to large metro and a mega sized world class city.

We were comparing and contrasting flora, that's all. They are, after all, quite different.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
We were comparing and contrasting flora, that's all. They are, after all, quite different.
Yeah it is just interesting to see them compared. I think until Louisville gets pro sports, from an outsider's perspective who has not lived in both, many will not know the difference until they visit and explore both places throughly (Including Louisville's expansive suburbs/ bedroom towns into Indiana and N Central KY).

Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 PM

26 posts, read 44,125 times
Hi there GhostDancer...I was wondering if anyone ever responded to your questions with any niceness or information?

NOT trying to appear judgemental...but for them attributing themselves to be "the friendliest folks in the country"?!

Yet not one reply.,..at least that I could find?!

Did they feel you were interrupting perhaps? I'm pretty much new here too...

12-24-2012, 08:27 PM
aghostdancer

Hi everyone! Have a few questions, if you don't mind please! I am a born & raised New Jerseyean who moved to Florida, 2 1/2 years ago! Decided this isn't my cup of tea anymore lol..so looking to possibly relocate to Ky, I have a couple of pleasure horses, and would like to rent something with a few acres to keep the horses on..how is Berea, as far as cost of living & availability? Or could anyone suggest another area for me to check out? Thank you

Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 PM

26 posts, read 44,125 times
Hi there Peter & everyone...

I am wondering how good/miserable the humidity gets in & around Shepherdsville?
My husband's a music/band teacher & is looking for another job as they didn't keep him here. Why??? Because he didn't give the 'power ego twisters' an "Easy A"! Parents & kids here are sooo spoiled in thinking music is just a sit in class & look pretty and yoiu'll be sure to get an A subject...that they don't/didn't even try!!!
Anyway...no sobbing...on to our next adventure!
I asked about the humidity because we're wondering if it's as humid as Florida or Georgia?
The statistics don't really always tell the real story.
It's my husband & I & our 3 dogs & 3 cats in our motor home, "Charlie".
Looking for FRIENDLY & GENUINE & WARM/GOOD HEARTED People!!!
Someplace that's NOT run & controlled by the 300/400 local gossip trees!!!
We're not socialites or anything but love being able to get to know the neighbors & others like at church and all. BEHS is looking for a Band teacher...we're open to where God is going to put us

Any info on decent dog loving & accepting RV Parks would be great too!
ALSO...Anything else you'd like to add? Please do

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws4parker View Post
Hi there GhostDancer...I was wondering if anyone ever responded to your questions with any niceness or information?

NOT trying to appear judgemental...but for them attributing themselves to be "the friendliest folks in the country"?!

Yet not one reply.,..at least that I could find?!

Did they feel you were interrupting perhaps? I'm pretty much new here too...

12-24-2012, 08:27 PM
aghostdancer

Hi everyone! Have a few questions, if you don't mind please! I am a born & raised New Jerseyean who moved to Florida, 2 1/2 years ago! Decided this isn't my cup of tea anymore lol..so looking to possibly relocate to Ky, I have a couple of pleasure horses, and would like to rent something with a few acres to keep the horses on..how is Berea, as far as cost of living & availability? Or could anyone suggest another area for me to check out? Thank you
I cannot speak for other posters, obviously, but since aghostdancer was not the originator of this long thread, I expect her query got lost or overlooked by those who were responding to LadyAlicia, who DID start the thread - and who also named it and conjectured that Kentuckians must be "the friendliest folks in the country". BTW, LadyAlicia, who hasn't been around lately, is from New Jersey and was considering a move to Kentucky. Kentuckians certainly didn't term themselves "the friendliest folks in the country" - that was New Jersyite LadyAlicia's pleasant description.

There have been many other threads which deal with Berea's cost of living and rural nature and with keeping horses in various central Kentucky locations - the search feature is fairly easy to use. I agree that it would have been helpful had someone spotted aghostdancer's post and responded helpfully to her, but there are logical reasons that that didn't seem to occur - not excuses, mind you, but logical reasons.

It is also wise for posters with new questions to start new threads, so you may want to do this yourself rather than tacking your questions onto what's a rather old and lengthy thread, whose title gives no clue to your question (just as it gave no clue that aghostdancer was asking about keeping horses near Berea...)

So please, hold your fire and negative impressions of Kentuckians until you've interacted with online Kentuckians considerably more.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 PM

118 posts, read 250,896 times
Hey Paws4parker, weather in Kentucky is sometimes laughable to try and predict, especially late fall and early spring, but in the summer the Bermuda High sets in and you're guaranteed hot and humid weather, with the occasional rain cooling things down for a day or two. Usually high 60-80 something % humidity, with temperatures anywhere from high 80's to over 100. Last year here in southern Kentucky we had nearly two weeks solid of 110-120° heat index. The mountains and northern commonwealth are cooler. Even in the mountains you'll laugh at our winter compared to Montana. If it snows and actually sticks it usually melts in a day or two, (where I'm at, the next day by noon, we got 2 inches last year) Compared to FL or GA our summers are 2-4 weeks shorter, but just as hot. Plenty of good hearted, friendly people to meet and good food to eat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky