Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
I will definitely research Oldham County further. Id love to know all my options in advance. I noticed its right by the Ohio River. Being I just went through a flood here at the Jersey shore Im now scared to death of the chance of flooding. How is flooding in that area? And tornadoes? Snow?
No flooding unless you live RIGHT on river, and that is rare. Snow is rare. Usually one big storm a year. A few other 2 inch events. Tornadoes can happen but the last big one was in the 1970s. Overall, the weather is similar or better than NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM

302 posts, read 629,475 times
I have to say Oldham county looks tempting as well. ive been researching it and the low crime as well as exellent schools are very appealing. I see its higher income and has some newer larger housees which I like. Here is a silly question but I see many houses out that way have septic systems. I know thats common in rural areas. septic up in Jersey is awful. Just awful. not many people have it, only the rural counties. But the ones that do have nothing but trouble over and over. Maybe ours are just crappy, pun intended ( LOL ) because we dont make them often. Im assuming down in KY they have a much better system for building. I see septic and want to run the ther way but that is only because my experience here.

Are all the towns in Oldham the same as far as schools and low crime? Are there areas to avoid?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
I have to say Oldham county looks tempting as well. ive been researching it and the low crime as well as exellent schools are very appealing. I see its higher income and has some newer larger housees which I like. Here is a silly question but I see many houses out that way have septic systems. I know thats common in rural areas. septic up in Jersey is awful. Just awful. not many people have it, only the rural counties. But the ones that do have nothing but trouble over and over. Maybe ours are just crappy, pun intended ( LOL ) because we dont make them often. Im assuming down in KY they have a much better system for building. I see septic and want to run the ther way but that is only because my experience here.

Are all the towns in Oldham the same as far as schools and low crime? Are there areas to avoid?
All areas are good in Oldham. There is not enough population density to support widespread sewer lines. The county is growing rapidly, however, and although it is very small geographically, it should have close to 100,000 residents by 2020. Septic systems are much better out there than in NE. If you want to avoid them, Crestwood, La Grange, Goshen, and Prospect have fairly large sewer systems. Oldham is all either rural or upscale. There is almost no crime, and the schools are all excellent. Most your chain store, arts, and boutique shopping will be done in Louisville proper (most areas less than 25 min drive).

Tomocox is our resident Oldham County expert. Send him a PM and he can help you. Given what you are used to, you may also consider NE Louisville. Since it is a merged "city" it will feel very suburban to you even though it has a Louisville address.

Not to knock other areas of KY, but I think the culture shock will be just too high. NE Louisville has enough transplants to make you feel you fit in, but still substantially more long time locals to make you know you came to a quieter, greener place, with beautiful rolling hills, horses, and none of the traffic, hassle or crime of the urban megalopolis of the NE (and the city of Louisville has plenty to explore).

Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
All areas are good in Oldham. There is not enough population density to support widespread sewer lines. The county is growing rapidly, however, and although it is very small geographically, it should have close to 100,000 residents by 2020. Septic systems are much better out there than in NE. If you want to avoid them, Crestwood, La Grange, Goshen, and Prospect have fairly large sewer systems. Oldham is all either rural or upscale. There is almost no crime, and the schools are all excellent. Most your chain store, arts, and boutique shopping will be done in Louisville proper (most areas less than 25 min drive).

Tomocox is our resident Oldham County expert. Send him a PM and he can help you. Given what you are used to, you may also consider NE Louisville. Since it is a merged "city" it will feel very suburban to you even though it has a Louisville address.

Not to knock other areas of KY, but I think the culture shock will be just too high. NE Louisville has enough transplants to make you feel you fit in, but still substantially more long time locals to make you know you came to a quieter, greener place, with beautiful rolling hills, horses, and none of the traffic, hassle or crime of the urban megalopolis of the NE (and the city of Louisville has plenty to explore).
Im not so much concerned with culture shock on my half, its more concerned with others not accepting me. Luckily I married a Scots-Irish, have the last name Burns and all my kids have that aryan look lol. Im the black sheep literally with black hair, brown eyes, tanner skin, NE accent, etc...

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Your accent may raise a little interest initially, but nothing you describe about yourself should be cause for comment, much less discrimination, in the Bluegrass State.

Just start practicing saying "you all", or "y'all" instead of "you guys", and you'll be a big step ahead on your preparations for moving to Kentucky! :-)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Your accent may raise a little interest initially, but nothing you describe about yourself should be cause for comment, much less discrimination, in the Bluegrass State.

Just start practicing saying "you all", or "y'all" instead of "you guys", and you'll be a big step ahead on your preparations for moving to Kentucky! :-)

LOL! If you only knew how often I use the word "guy" in my daily language you would die

Old 12-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I lived in KY for 4 years and never said y'all. Some people did look at me weird. I found many people there to say "you guys" as well. Lville is a real hybrid.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Well, yes, some people DO say "you guys". But it's not traditional, or typical of native Kentuckians or of long-time Kentucky residents (with the exception of those younger Kentuckians who are excessively affected by television and other mass media useage, or in some cases, for those who want to appear as if they are "younger" Kentuckians).

It should be noted that my tongue was very much in my cheek in my previous post re "you guys" vs. "you all".

Peter1948, are you now moderating the Kentucky forums? If so, it's surprising, as you only spent four years in Louisville - and that you never say or said "you all"!

"You guys" sounds especially grating to my traditional, not-younger Kentuckian ears to hear "you guys" addressed to a group which includes women or girls. "Guys" are not girls, and girls are not "guys". Thank goodness!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM

You will probably never hear y'all come out of my mouth. I was raised by family from Bronx, Brooklyn and Jersey City. Unfortunately you can take the girl out of Jersey but you will never get the Jersey out of the girl. Im a 3rd generation American. My great grandparents didnt speak English and the 1st generation kind of mixed up Italian and English and thats why we have a distinct accent because the languages fused a bit. Sometimes our pronunciation is somewhat Italian and somewhat English, at least in my family it is. but I assure you Im still a nice lady

Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Well, yes, some people DO say "you guys". But it's not traditional, or typical of native Kentuckians or of long-time Kentucky residents (with the exception of those younger Kentuckians who are excessively affected by television and other mass media useage, or in some cases, for those who want to appear as if they are "younger" Kentuckians).

It should be noted that my tongue was very much in my cheek in my previous post re "you guys" vs. "you all".

Peter1948, are you now moderating the Kentucky forums? If so, it's surprising, as you only spent four years in Louisville - and that you never say or said "you all"!

"You guys" sounds especially grating to my traditional, not-younger Kentuckian ears to hear "you guys" addressed to a group which includes women or girls. "Guys" are not girls, and girls are not "guys". Thank goodness!
Yes, I haven't lived in KY for 3 years. I have been in FL and TX for work. Louisville is my adopted hometown though. Love the place. I did notice after three years and maybe three bourbons I would say y'all SOMETIMES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky