U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best option of singles would be...
Louisville 10 37.04%
Lexington 8 29.63%
Cincinnatti 8 29.63%
Dunno 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,443,973 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on the three?

How do they differ?

How are they similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 03:13 PM

6,575 posts, read 13,797,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Thoughts on the three?

How do they differ?

How are they similar?
What is the question? Lexington is by far the smallest and has the least amenities. Louisville has far fewer suburbs than Cincinnati so it has a few less things like pro sports or Saks. Louisville and Cincy are similar in other ways besides that, although Louisville is much safer and has a superior growth rate and economy. Lexington is actually growing the fastest of the three but has worse traffic bc there are no freeways to get around. Louisville has a great freeway system and the congestion is not bad outside downtown where 3 freeways merge. Arts and restaurants wise, Louisville and Cincinnati are about dead even. Nightlife wise, I think Louisville is superior to Cincinnati and offers a better singles scene, especially for the under 35 set. Louisville is less spread out and in many ways more accessible. This could change if Cincy continues to improve downtown and Fountain Square and gets a little of the "click" out of the Mt Adams scene while getting more singles living inside the actual city (or at least inside 275). Cincy is an impressive city with its architecture and the hills, but years of economic decline are evident no matter where you drive and the population loss has been substantial in the urban core. Lexington is a great, well educated college town, but if you are not interested in the University or its events, you are almost out of luck there. Its probably a bit too small for most people's tastes. The same can be said of Louisville or Cincinnati if you are coming from the likes of Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, or other large, hip cities. However, Louisville and Cincy both have a great deal of culture, although Cincy is quite a bit more conservative than Louisville, especially politically.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:10 AM

156 posts, read 570,124 times
haha, I think you know my vote here again! I won't go off on a tangent or anything on how great the nati is but....

All three towns have great things about them... lex is much smaller than the other two, and probably feels more country-like, which can definately be a good thing. Louisville and Cincy have a lot of similarities and differences, but both great towns

Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM

156 posts, read 570,124 times
oh, BTW, you spelled Cincinnati wrong in the poll question!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
oh, BTW, you spelled Cincinnati wrong in the poll question!
yeah, i noticed...

Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
yeah, i noticed...
This is probably a dead heat between Cincy and Louisville. Louisville is a bit more progressive, liberal, and vibrant. It has a healthier economy and less sprawl and traffic. I find Louisville more user friendly and safer. The stuff you need in Louisville is more concentrated. Mt Adams would be the one advantage Cincy has over Louisville...I can't really think of a similar area in Louisville. However, Mt Adams is decidedly small, overpriced, and the nightlife is probably the most clicky I have ever seen. I am currently living in the area and can't wait to get back to Louisville...the people are friendlier back there. So, my vote goes to Louisville.

Nothing against Lexington but it is just so much smaller and so based on UK that it is virtually out of the question for any single older than 25.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 AM

Which of the 3 is the most "artsy"?

Looks like Cinci has ALOT more trees than the other two!

Last edited by crystalblue; 10-18-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Which of the 3 is the most "artsy"?

Looks like Cinci has ALOT more trees than the other two!
Hmm, I doubt Cincy has more trees because it is built much denser being an older and historically larger city. I believe Lexington would have the most trees, than Louisville, but how could you count this? All three cities have nice tree lined streets and lots of scenery.

As for arts, this is again a dead heat between Cincinnati and Louisville. IMO Cincinnati has the better museums, but some of the arts programs in Louisville are simply outstanding:

City Strobe: Got cultural vitality? | LEO Weekly

It is one of only 13 cities with as many professional arts organizations. Places like Actors Theatre and The Humana New Festival of American Plays draw visitors from all over including arts meccas like Chicago.

Museum Plaza

will have one of the largest permanant rotating contemporary art museums in the country.

Art Galleries Hops

First Friday Gallery/Trolley Hop

F.A.T. Friday Hop (http://www.fatfridayhop.org/about.html - broken link)

To me, Louisville just seems to be "more on the move" than Cincinnati, but Cincinnati has a wonderful arts program all around, and will offer about the same stuff as Louisville. Lexington of course is well behind these cities in the arts, but a very eclectic and artsy town in itself for its size.

Louisville also hosts annually the nation's top rated arts show:

St. James Court Art Show

Your best way to start meeting artist types would be to get on myspace and seek them out. I can help you out with that if you wish.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:46 PM

i got the tree impression from looking at the 3 on google maps...

Old 10-18-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
i got the tree impression from looking at the 3 on google maps...
they look MUUUUUCH different at street level, especially Cincinnati. It is a pretty gritty city in parts. If you are interested in relocation, you should really visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or