Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,267,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
You won't really find ranches/cowboy type of stuff here in Kentucky. That's more prevalent out west, places like Wyoming,Colorado, Montana, Idaho. We have plenty of horse farms in central Kentucky. The rest of the farming community is geared towards beef/dairy cattle, corn etc. Plenty of quaint small towns in Kentucky, so that part is somewhat accurate.However, i warn you, most of what you see in books is overplayed. Surrounding most small towns are big box stores like WalMart,Lowe's etc.

I would recommend you look at Central KY or southern KY. Eastern KY is too depressed financially and still isolated.

thanks for the advice i appreciate it alot thank you. Im not looking for a cowboy lol we just dont have them over here and i was wondering if they were real or not lol but thanks for clearing that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM

302 posts, read 629,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
You won't really find ranches/cowboy type of stuff here in Kentucky. That's more prevalent out west, places like Wyoming,Colorado, Montana, Idaho. We have plenty of horse farms in central Kentucky. The rest of the farming community is geared towards beef/dairy cattle, corn etc. Plenty of quaint small towns in Kentucky, so that part is somewhat accurate.However, i warn you, most of what you see in books is overplayed. Surrounding most small towns are big box stores like WalMart,Lowe's etc.

I would recommend you look at Central KY or southern KY. Eastern KY is too depressed financially and still isolated.
I actually want the big box stores AND to be around the rural horse community. I can get that in Lexington right?

Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,493 times
It depends on where you are. Kentucky has a little of everything. Eastern and extreme Western ky, more southern, Lexington, more metro urban, Lousiville, more genteel southern. Cowboys, not so much, but the eastern and western parts of the state are more isolated, therefore cling to the more dated views, which means that it may be a bit harder to fit in, but once you do, you are truly a neighbor. If you understand this post, the eastern and western areas may be for you, if not, you may want to look for another place where you will fit in better.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
It depends on where you are. Kentucky has a little of everything. Eastern and extreme Western ky, more southern, Lexington, more metro urban, Lousiville, more genteel southern. Cowboys, not so much, but the eastern and western parts of the state are more isolated, therefore cling to the more dated views, which means that it may be a bit harder to fit in, but once you do, you are truly a neighbor. If you understand this post, the eastern and western areas may be for you, if not, you may want to look for another place where you will fit in better.
I didnt quite understand so I think Ill stick with central

Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Reverse the descriptions of Lexington and Louisville, and you'll be closer to their actual flavor (I like both a lot).

Cowboys are almost all west of the Mississippi River, but we have plenty of people who work with cattle in Ky. However, Kentucky is noted for the many beautiful thoroughbred horse farms in the Central Kentucky Bluegrass Region, which surrounds Lexington.

Public schools (not the same meaning as in the UK) are best in Lexington and in some of the Louisville and northern KY suburbs. There are quite decent schools elsewhere, of course.

Eastern Kentucky is mountainous and largely wooded. Coal plays a large part in the economy, and mountaintop removal coal mining has devasted large areas of eastern Kentucky. What is left is beautiful.

Western Kentucky has rolling hills, pastures, woodlands, and caves. It's largely agricultural, and reasonably prosperous.

Louisville is our largest city, and has more of a midwestern flavor than the rest of the state. It has beautiful parks, many museums, nice residential areas, the University of Louisville, the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, and is a river city (located on the Ohio River).

Lexington is the "Heart of the Bluegrass". It's the home of the University of Kentucky, and is surrounded by beautiful countryside (with those famous horse farms) which resembles parts of Wiltshire and/or Oxfordshire. It also has drystone walls/fences identical to those in the UK and Ireland- no wonder, since the stonemasons were from there originally. Our walls were built in the early 19th century. There is a ring of smaller towns which are all within 10-25 miles of Lexington - all are nice places for families with children, as is Lexington itself.

Northern Kentucky is oriented towards Cincinnati, Ohio, right across the river, and has a much more northern flavor than the rest of the state, as it shares much of Cincinnati's culture (big industrial city, heavily influenced by the many families whose ancestors settled in Cincinnati from Germany during the mid19th century).

Hope this helps you visualize our beautiful home, Kentucky...

Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
I have heard that it is really hard to immigrate to America from UK or Europe, and Visa-Verse...who knew?
I work with the public a lot, and have met quite a few people from the UK and Europe and other countries, who are living here in Lexington. I am not sure how it all came about though.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
Kentucky is great ~ If you want to see a lot of cowboys - some parts of Texas and Wyoming are the best option there. We do have a lot of beautiful horse farms here in the Bluegrass though. And lots of
the small quintessential little towns.

Kentucky in Your Place & Other Places Forum

Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of moving from the uk to the U.S and I was considering a few places Kentucky being one of them any info on living here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There was an Irish Gentleman who is head of some cultural organization(?) interviewed on KET(KY public education) who said that the rolling green hills, horses and bourbon reminded him so much of his home country of Ireland, thats we he stayed instead of moving back. I know, anecdotal and might not be considered UK, but thats all I have

Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Kentucky is great ~ If you want to see a lot of cowboys - some parts of Texas and Wyoming are the best option there. We do have a lot of beautiful horse farms here in the Bluegrass though. And lots of
the small quintessential little towns.

Kentucky in Your Place & Other Places Forum
The pictures!!! To die for!!!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Default Kentucky is great, but

Kentucky is a great place to live. We lived there 17 years in all--from Campbellsville (college) to Louisville to Lexington. Surely enjoyed the Bluegrass State and became a life long college basketball fan.

BUT, you really need to look into healthcare which is NOT free in this country unless you have next to no income and enjoy spending half your day or night sitting in an Emergency Room waiting area.

The UK has a terrific system where you pay virtually nothing at anytime for anything in healthcare. Not so in the U.S. If you have top of the line healthcare insurance you are still will be paying deductibles for office visits, co-pays for medications, and a substantial amount if you go into a hospital until you meet what is called your "out-of-pocket" expenses that can run anywhere from $1000 per year to $5000 per year or more depending on your health plan.

It is a shocker for many Brits and mainland Europeans coming here for the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky