U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM

625 posts, read 1,083,477 times

Advertisements

Excellent advice, Kygman!! If it's scenery you want, the Bluegrass area is gorgeous! Rolling hills, blackboard fence, horses and cattle, stone walls, beautiful barns, lots of small towns within a very easy drive to smaller sized cities!!

littlesweeting-Do you want to be on some land out of town, or in a home closer to town, or a condo/apartment? There are places that offer views from your back door from any of those situations! Come on over, and tie up with a RE agent who can show you around while showing you some home options! That's what we did! Good luck and welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM

23 posts, read 28,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
central hillbillies? I'm a Eastern Kentucky Hillbilly...and a certified redneck, and Proud of it, but, Central Kentucky Hillbillies...? I think I know what you are up to...

Auh...I-24...I have fond memories of I-24 and a certain weigh station and a misinterpretation of the speed limit.
the central ones are alive and well, just maybe not on the level of the eastern ones (I consider Madisonville central KY, for point of reference).

I kid, but KY is pretty different from west to east - and I'd only ever stick to the west!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,176 times
I am originally from South Eastern Kentucky. As far as scenery you can't beat the Mountains, the streams, and lakes. But the economy is very very bad I'm afraid. Just about everything in Eastern Ky is based on "Coal". Most of all the mines are shut down or are in the process of shutting down right now because of the legislation that was passed. So much "heavy" regulation has been introduced against coal tipple owners that its crippled the industry and brought it to its knees. If you want seclusion to paint and enjoy one of the last natural beauties of the Appalachian mountains then I think you would be very satisfied in Eastern Kentucky. But good jobs are far apart and few in between. The very best to you in finding that special place that you are looking for.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,981 times
I am heading down on a 2 week road trip in April. I am going to start in Louisville, to Lexington, to Morehead, down to Paintsville to Pikeville and over to Jackson, to London to Corbin over to Cumberland Lakes area and back up to Berea. I am going to wait till mid summer to go on tirp to the South/East side of Kentucky. So did I miss any of the big areas on my first route to the North/East and South/East sides of Kentucky.

Thank you, TaddHuff, I am really looking forward to relocating there.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM

847 posts, read 1,278,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesweetling View Post
I am heading down on a 2 week road trip in April. I am going to start in Louisville, to Lexington, to Morehead, down to Paintsville to Pikeville and over to Jackson, to London to Corbin over to Cumberland Lakes area and back up to Berea. I am going to wait till mid summer to go on tirp to the South/East side of Kentucky. So did I miss any of the big areas on my first route to the North/East and South/East sides of Kentucky.

That sounds like a good plan to me...be careful.

I'll probably be fishin and catchin to I hope!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM

10,793 posts, read 8,831,631 times
Quote:

Your itinerary for your April trip will take you to central and southeastern/southcentral Kentucky.

All of the towns you named other than Louisville and Lexington are in the Cumberland Mountains. Do you plan to pass through or spend a day or night or more in each of these cities and towns? Some have a lot more going on than do others - Jackson's setting is very pretty, but it's a fairly small, sleepy little place. You might want to stay at nearby Cumberland Falls State Resort Park rather than in Corbin, which is also a fairly small town. Berea is small, but is a major arts and crafts destination and college town - you would enjoy a stay at historic Boone Tavern there, I expect. Berea, London, and Corbin are close enough to visit all three in one morning, if you just want to drive through each town or spend half an hour or less in each location.

Lexington and Louisville have enough things to see and do to absorb your entire two weeks.

If you enjoy mountains, the Red River Gorge is not to be missed in April, when the spring ephemeral wildflowers peak. It's spectacular anytime, of course, with its wealth of natural arches (and one natural bridge), cliffs, forests, wild river, caves, rock shelters, and more. Natural Bridge State Park is adjacent, and offers excellent accommodations. It's on the way to or from Jackson, via the Mountain Parkway. Allow a full day to see the Red River Gorge properly - you can complete the "loop drive" through the gorge much more rapidly, but the real scenery requires getting out of your car and exploring by foot. Wear hiking shoes and a light jacket, bring drinking water, a snack, a walking stick and camera.

Be aware that some of the secondary and state roads in the Morehead, Jackson, Paintsville, Pikeville are likely to be winding valley roads, which take longer to drive because of the topography. Interstates I-64 and I-75, the Mountain Parkway, and the Cumberland Parkway are much, much faster.

Oh, yes, it's just Cumberland Lake, aka Lake Cumberland. Just one lake, not "lakes". Though Kentucky does have plenty of other lakes to offer, there's only one Lake Cumberland!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,176 times
Quote:

Hi Littlesweetling,
There are two naturally occurring "Moonbow" in the world I am told. One is at Cumberland Falls in Corbin, Kentucky and the other is in Africa. A moonbow is a rainbow that occurs at night over a waterfall and is best seen in the light of the full moon. I have seen it only once in my life time. If you check the calender and time it just right, providing it's a clear night-the moon bow at Cumberland Falls is absolutely breath-taking. You probably can find pictures of it on the internet. Have a wonderful blessed day,
"Tadd" Huff

Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
My husband and I are thinking of retiring in KY and was wondering about the Beattyville area. I know it is a small town but is it in a mountainous area? Any info on this area would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 PM

10,793 posts, read 8,831,631 times
Yes, Beattyville is in the mountains. It's a very lovely area, not far from Natural Bridge State Park and the Red River Gorge (in the Daniel Boone National Forest), but it may not have the more urban amenities you might want or need, particularly in regard to advanced health care, if this is a concern or is likely to become a concern in the years to come.

Tell us more about what you are looking for in a retirement area, and those who know Beattyville better than I do can provide you with more info.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:08 AM

24 posts, read 21,956 times
Wow! Kentucky sounds wonderful to me, minus the coal country depression. What about Simpson County, or a town called Scottsville? My husband is being relocated (Bowling Green region) and we have lived and work in Ohio most of our lives. Our children are raised, our home paid for, and we assumed he would retire here. Companies are leaving Ohio, due to the high cost(taxes) of welfare rolls. Do they take welfare tax out of Kentucky paychecks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky