Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

Ladyalicia, there is a person who has been on here for quite a while who thrives on telling everything bad about Kentucky. I know of one time he changed names on here and this sounds sooooooo much like him it's not even funny. The one I'm thinking of said he was from Kentucky and for a while, just couldn't wait to move to Texas. Then he comes back under a different name ( I know he did because for a while a lot of the old posts under his second name had the first name he used until we told him more or less what my mother always told me. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.) True, you'll find something bad no matter where you go. No place is perfect. But I have lived in Kentucky all my life, and I love it here. Like I said earlier, I'm in the western part of the state, close to the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River. There's plenty to see and do and lots of friendly people. Haven't spent a lot of time in eastern Kentucky so I can't talk about there. Not saying it's bad or good, just saying I haven't spent enough time there to say anything. And I haven't been adding a lot to this thread because you're looking more in the horse country area, Lexington, Louisville, etc. But I did see something else about something Doofus, er, I mean techwired posted on statistics about Lexington. Here's a little bit about Murray, Ky., to show there are other small towns that are doing good. Murray was selected the Friendliest Small Town in America for 2012 by Rand McNalley and USA Today. Murray Kentucky Convention and Vistor's Bureau is your Calloway County and Kentucky Lake area source for lodging listings, dining listings, event listings, attraction listings and more. Murray Kentucky is home to Freedom Fest, Squealing on the Square . Here's from Murray Kentucky Convention and Visitor's Bureau is your Calloway County and Kentucky Lake area source for lodging listings, dining listings, event listings, attraction listings and more. Murray Kentucky is home to Freedom Fest, Squealing on the Squar "Murray has long been known for its attractiveness to retirees. In 2008, the city was recognized by Back Home in Kentucky magazine as one of the top retirement communities in Kentucky. In 2001, Murray was selected as one of only eight cities in the state as a Certified Retirement Community by the Kentucky Tourism Development Cabinet. Nationally, Where to Retire magazine featured Murray in a cover story in 2007, naming it a "low-cost haven". RetirementAmerica.com also rated Murray highly, "If you are seeking a well-rounded community with plenty of outdoor recreation, low housing costs with a four season climate, then Murray may be just what you're looking for." I won't even get going on the honors bestowed on Murray State University(murraystate.edu)
There's more for other cities and towns in the area, but, if you look, you will find small towns all across this great state that have received many awards and honors like these. There are 120 counties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Surely anyone looking can find a few to their liking.
Sorry to carry on so. I'll get off my soap box. I just get tired of people doing their damndest to run down this state.
I'll hush now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
At my job today, a lady came in and she was telling me that she so happy, because she has always wanted to live in Kentucky, and finally had been able to move to Lexington. I welcomed her. She was from San Francisco. She was like a breath of fresh air, after all your negativity.

Today, to my coworkers I also mentioned your previously quoted statistics, and I am sorry but people
here don't buy them. (I mean in one way or another they may be correct factually) but what you are saying is not the place where we live, or know. But then again we only live here.
I am not some local yocal who has never lived outside of Kentucky - I am in my 50's and I have lived in Connecticut, Florida, and Maryland (In larger cities like Baltimore and Miami) and I can tell you every place has good and bad, but I wouldn't trade Kentucky for anything in the world. And of all the places I have lived, the quality of life is superior here in my humble opinion.
You can quote whatever statistic, until you turn blue, but I am sorry you seem prejudiced and bigoted to me, and what you are saying does not paint Kentucky in a true light.
Almost everyone I know here, loves it here, and are healthy and happy, well educated and not drowning in total poverty and ignorance. Shock.
Like Alicia pointed out Obesity is epidemic in America, and it is a problem here, but it's a problem our whole society faces. Diabetes is more rampant here probably because it is tied into obesity closely.
Just like how heavy smokers have more health issues and Coal Miners have certain health issues.
Some people quit school here to work jobs to help their families because they are poor, or to stay home and work on their farms (but many poor rural kids study hard and earn scholarships and Grants to go to school). It is not a crime to be poor, or a reflection of bad character. And Churches here try to reach out to the poor of the state and offer them help and assistance. Some of the people in the state are very proud though. In Kentucky though, you will be judged more for your kindness and integrity, than how much money is in your bank account.

I could sit down and list pages of negative statistic about Texas (or almost any place really). But why would I do this? That would just be mean spirited, judgemental and an dwelling in negativity. I don't really have the time or inclination for that. Or to keep responding to the crap you are spewing.
You are entitled to your opinion (no matter how narrow that is). But count me out in that.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

I'll give you another "bad" statistic. Kentucky (at least in the 80's) led the nation for kidney stones. Why? My doctor (for MY kidney stone) said there was some discussion among health professionals about limestone based water. There are a lot of limestone shelves in KY. He said the key for the majority of people was simply to drink a LOT of liquids to keep the kidneys flushed out. Uh, I don't think he meant alcholic beverages which would be destroying your liver while saving your kidneys!
Warden, this may be a little bit off the subject, but talking about flushing the kidneys with alcoholic beverages, I worked with a man whose wife used to suffer from frequent kidney infections and occasional kidney stones. Her doctor told her to drink 2 beers between dinner and bedtime. This would flush out the kidneys. She hasn't had any more kidney problems since!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
^Lol, you can also drink Cranberry Juice for that (but maybe that's not quite the fun of the beer, lol)

Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 AM

407 posts, read 1,264,036 times
Lady A, those of us who love Kentucky are happy people but we keep that a secret. Personally, as soon as you get moved here, I am for closing the doors right after you. The less people that move here, the more space the rest of us have. Come on in and lock the door behind you. While tech wired is reading all the "Kentucky bad stats" you and I will sit on my deck with some wine, good conversation and a view of Lake Cumberland surrounded by 100 year old trees, a ton of squirrels, my male cardinal with his 5 concubines, and the hawks that soar here every day.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
The information is skewed Alicia. It includes some Rural, Poverty stricken parts of the state that bring down statistical information numbers.
Kentucky is highly regionalized and there are also big differences between the social classes, so you will see these bad numbers but not actually "see" this in yr daily life, if you live in one of the more prosperous parts of the state or are in middle to upper-middle class social circles.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
The information is skewed Alicia. It includes some Rural, Poverty stricken parts of the state that bring down statistical information numbers. There are places in Kentucky that are poverty stricken, uneducated (There was an article in the Lexington Herald a couple weeks ago that focused on this, and the fact that in certain parts of the state, parents get upset if their children are getting an education
and pull them out of school, because they are afraid of losing Welfare Benefits, and they think that
if their children get literate and educated they will lose benefits.) Interesting article.
Like I posted, Lexington usually comes out as one of the top ten or top twenty most educated cities in America. Louisville also has some great stats as far as education goes.
I gotta say something about this.

Louisville itself has very good private schools, some solid post-secondary universities, and a couple of great public high schools. However, generally the Jefferson County public school system is an utter pile of foolishness with the busing system in place. You could potentially move into a neighborhood in Louisville and have a good elemantary school right across the street from you but with the busing system your kid may be bused to an awful school in another part of town. I don't like it and that would be a major black mark on Louisville proper. If you were going to work in Louisville, as much as I hate saying it, you would be better served living in Oldham County if you needed public schools.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Sorry to be the Debby Downer here . . . Not trying to be negative, only pragmatic realist.
Personal experience gained from being someone who suffers terminal wanderlust:
I didnt know about CD back then, but years ago when I wanted to break away and start a new life, I asked, visited internet sites, got packets from the State Departments and even made contacts with realtors. I moved to my dream state, and it was one of the hugest and most costly disappointments in my life. After decades of going through states and living situations like old socks, nothing is the way "they" say it is. You are wasting time asking questions about places because no answer is applicable to your situation. I can guarantee you, the place that is yours, where you will be most happy, is not the one you would have ever imagined.

Take the time, spend the money and travel. No matter how much you think you cant afford the research time you should be spending but dont want to, the money and aggravation it will cost you moving out will be a whole lot more.

Everyones utopia is different. If you are basing your opinion on where to relocate on internet opinion, dont unpack your boxes. You will be moving again.

Research, visit, visit again, visit another place, visit again!
In short, make internet opinion a small part of your decision making process. It has nothing to do with your personal reality. Think tank/college stats, data, Forbes 500 list stuff have nothing to do with reality.

Last edited by thunderkat59; 01-04-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Given the tsunami of posts from "LadyAlicia", I really hope she broadens her search into eastern Tennessee. Johnson City, Jellico or even western North Carolina -- I feel these offer more of the lifestyle stuff that is applicable in her situation.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM

302 posts, read 629,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
Be careful what you ask for.....

Poverty: http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ty-report-says

The 5 Richest and 5 Poorest States in America - DailyFinance

Kentucky smokers: CDC - Tobacco Control State Highlights 2010 - Kentucky - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Kentucky leads nation in smoking deaths - Health - Addictions | NBC News

http://www.kyyouth.org/Publications/...moking.pdf.pdf

Kentucky, well being index: Hawaii No. 1 in U.S. for Wellbeing, and West Virginia Last

Most miserable state: America's most miserable states - Business on NBCNews.com

2. Kentucky | 24/7WallSt: America's Most Miserable States | Comcast.net

Worst run state Kentucky Louisville Ky News and Politics: KENTUCKY WORST RUN STATE IN NATION

Obesity: Kentucky Health News: Kentucky ranks third among the states in child obesity, a problem that has a broad scope and deep roots (first in a series)

Obesity Lowest in Colorado, Highest in West Virginia

Kentucky Among Nation's Sickest States

Human Development Index, Quality of life, education and opportunity Kentucky:

American Human Development Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Map Scroll: Is Part of the United States in the Third World?

America’s Best (and Worst) Educated States: America

Nothing new here regarding Kentucky
Listen guy, you need a life! Seriously! You are talking to someone from the NJ and NYC area that knows damn well statistics can ruin the whole outlook of state when there are very nice parts to each state. If people read the stats on my state no one would live here. there is good and bad everywhere. Your selling and Im not buying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky