U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:44 PM

10,477 posts, read 8,419,943 times

Advertisements

This thread is seven years old. I expect the OP finished his or her Kentucky biscuits a long time ago!

(Actually, my late mother made the best biscuits in the world, not just in Kentucky, using my late grandmother's recipe, but you had to be a family member or dinner guest to enjoy them. I have the recipe - but mine aren't quite the same, sadly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,729,946 times
My granny in Kentucky still makes the best biscuits. She'll be 88 years young next month!

Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,170,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
This thread is seven years old. I expect the OP finished his or her Kentucky biscuits a long time ago!

(Actually, my late mother made the best biscuits in the world, not just in Kentucky, using my late grandmother's recipe, but you had to be a family member or dinner guest to enjoy them. I have the recipe - but mine aren't quite the same, sadly).
I can relate to that. My grandmother made the best rolls in the world, and I have her recipe, but mine couldn't hold a candle to hers. I know we're talking biscuits and not rolls, but sometimes it takes a certain touch for things.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I can relate to that. My grandmother made the best rolls in the world, and I have her recipe, but mine couldn't hold a candle to hers. I know we're talking biscuits and not rolls, but sometimes it takes a certain touch for things.
In my Kentucky family they don't eat rolls, they fry cornbread in skillets with lard. That's what they call 'bread" lol!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,170,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
In my Kentucky family they don't eat rolls, they fry cornbread in skillets with lard. That's what they call 'bread" lol!
Yeah, I do fried cornbread, too. That, I'm good at. Fried cornmeal "pancakes" and corn dodgers. My grandmother did, too. However, she was an accomplished baker. She had her own business, rolls and pies during the Depression. A woman-owned business. She supplied to restaurants, hotels, etc while my grandfather worked as a lineman, bringing phone service to Eastern Kentucky. I know all about Kentucky cooking. Thanks.

Last edited by capcat; 01-27-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 AM

10,477 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Anyone else remember Winchester's Brown-Proctor Hotel, on Main Street? Now long closed, the hotel had a very traditional dining room with wonderful home-style dishes. Their yeast rolls were out of this world - you would get one with your Sunday dinner, then a second roll upon request, but no more. My late parents would often take out of town visitors there.

Their fried chicken was outstanding, too. Sure wish I had some of their recipes, especially for those rolls and fried chicken!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Yeah, I do fried cornbread, too. That, I'm good at. Fried cornmeal "pancakes" and corn dodgers. My grandmother did, too. However, she was an accomplished baker. She had her own business, rolls and pies during the Depression. A woman-owned business. She supplied to restaurants, hotels, etc while my grandfather worked as a lineman, bringing phone service to Eastern Kentucky. I know all about Kentucky cooking. Thanks.
My granny in Daviess county, she turns 88 years young soon. She can make some mean "apple fritters" too. She kneads some dough really quick, rolls apple slices in it and then tosses them into her her "cast iron" skillet ( the same one she uses to fry of cornbread cakes ) and frys them in lard until they are crispy and brown. She can make them in like minutes and they are the best treat. I'd give a million dollars if I had it for even just "1" of those fritters

Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM

Well just to prove it....here she is! All 88 years of her bless her heart!

This is one of my favorite persons in the whole world! My granny who lives in western Kentucky....she's the biscuit and cooking expert, not me LOL: She's watching a video of me on the computer playing the fiddle LOL. Everyone in her family lives to be 100+ years so I'm sure she'll be around a while!!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 AM

35,109 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb lady View Post
Now that I've actually booked my trip for the 2nd, I have all kinds of questions.

Today's question is -- What restaurant has the best biscuits in Central Kentucky? It's been 4 years since I've been to Kentucky and the first thing I want to do, is have some good biscuits. That's one of the things I've always looked forward to every time I've gotten into the area.

The biscuits my sister in law makes, unfortunately you cannot get them in a shop or restaurant.

Seriously I don't think we have ever come across a bad biscuit in Kentucky no matter where we have stopped so I don't think you will have any issues finding what you are looking for with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky