Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 282,207 times

Advertisements

Janet55 said:
Quote:
There is no good place in Northern Kentucky. It is full of impovershed, out of work low lifes...Shoplifting was unheard of so much until the past few years, stealing license plates, yards are full of trash left blowing out of garbage cans, teens out all night and vandalism...I feel like I am posting to some naive people...we went to a park called Pioneer Park, in Covington, I think, but anyway, the creek in this "park" was filled with sewage run-off, and signs were posted about not swimming.
I'm really am chuckling to myself as I type this. I've spent years being teased and teasing, about the differences between northern Kentucky and 'the rest' of Kentucky. And, it's ironically funny that I actually feel obligated to defend northern Kentucky, but here I go...

My ex (God Rest His Soul) grew up in Park Hills, and his Gram was a real estate agent in Florence. He had friends scattered all over that area. Ft. Thomas, Erlanger, Ft. Mitchell, Covington, and yes...even Newport, so I've spent considerable time there. They made fun of my 'accent' and no mistake, I made fun of their's too (I didn't have an accent, they did...).

No matter what you think, NONE of those people were impoverished or naive. My Father-In-law was a wonderful, educated man. All three of his sons were college educated as well. And all three of those boys travelled internationally. My ex and his brother spoke two languages fluently. While I'll admit it has been several years since I've visited, I simply cannot believe that the area has changed so very much. On one hand you say Ft. Mitchell is "a very good quality place to live". On the other hand you say "There is no good place in Northern Kentucky." So really, which is it????

I'm sorry you are apparently so unhappy with where you live. If you think shoplifting, belching, vandalism and trash are problems that just occur in northern Kentucky, you really could use a big ol' dose of reality. From your posts, I get the impression you have money (which could also be BS) but really, why are you still living there if you're so unhappy? Perhaps you should be looking for some new digs, huh? And if you don't actually live there, then why are you still talking?

And then mk75 (who could be Janet55's little sister...) said:
Quote:
Most of the people that think NKY is a great place is because they have never been anywhere else, and do not realize that their little area is in fact a "dump". When I was there, we went to a park called Pioneer Park, in Covington, I think, but anyway, the creek in this "park" was filled with sewage run-off, and signs were posted about not swimming...I think if they left and went somewhere else to live for awhile...Your best bet is to try Louisville area or Shelby county
Really? I mean, really?? Perhaps you are not as 'well travelled' as you may think. Do you not realize that Beargrass Creek (which runs thru Louisville's eastend, INCLUDING Cherokee Park) is so heavily polluted with sewage run-off that no one can swim in it either? Or...that Shelbyville is in the middle of the worst crime wave that city has ever experienced?? I guess the operative words in your posts are, "When I was there...and...I had family that lived there". So really, you don't know Jack...

But, since you want to postulate about 'living somewhere else for awhile', I got one fer ya. My ex's widow and daughter live in Santiago, Chile. I just got off the phone with them, trying to make sure she and my children's half-sister were okie dokie after the earthquake. So believe it or not, a few of us have lived somewhere else for ahhhwile...and we kinda like it here. You want to talk about 'a dump' then you need to travel to South America. You would come home and kiss the ground in northern Kentucky. So really, where in the world have you been?!?

P.S. Thanks circi2000 & NewYorkChick, an open mind is the door to everywhere. And to ajohnson56, I'm with Kentuckyguy when he says welcome. I'm thinking you'll like Kentucky. And sandman1, you touched my heart...Sweet Tea...the house wine of the south...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 PM

21 posts, read 68,791 times
I am strictly referring to places within the US, sure there is many horrible "dumps" all over the world, some parts of south america are dumps, but look at Haiti, had it not been for their earthquake, most US citizens could have cared less what happened in Haiti, or the conditions the people had to live in before the earthquake, but now, we all suddenly want to help them, where was the helping hand a few years ago or 10 yrs ago? Anyway, I am getting off the subject a bit, Having a public park with its creek doubling as a sewage run-off is ridiculous! If this were to happen ANYWHERE in CA,( or really anywhere else I can think of for that matter), the residents would be absolutely up in arms and demanding answers and a swift clean up from city officials, but the people that were there that day, seemed not to even be concerned about it, or that one of their kids was playing near the waters edge?! This is really disgusting, especially for a public park, why arent people complaining about this and getting it cleaned up? Im sure the EPA would love to know about this, it actually surprises me they havent had thousands of complaint calls already? But really, this seems to be the norm for most of KY, especially nky. At least most of the parks in other parts of KY (that I have personally seen anyway), seem to take pretty good care of their natural areas and parks. Nky seems to be a very strange area, in one sense, the people here seem to be proud of KY overall, but at the same time, try to distance themselves from the rest of the state, for whatever reason that may be, and try to ride the coat-tails of nearby Cincinnati, OH ( which is a city that also is the butt of many jokes), so trying to hitch your wagon to Cincinnatis "star" may not be the best thing to do for your areas overall image! Cincinnati is not a well liked area either. Maybe it is just me, and that I was not born here? You all should at least be proud of your state, even if that means it is a state filled with unemployed, toothless, hill jacks who have an 6th grade education, yes, even NKY is like this too, you all just do not realize it. Sorry, I could not resist!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 PM

46 posts, read 110,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk75 View Post
I am strictly referring to places within the US, sure there is many horrible "dumps" all over the world, some parts of south america are dumps, but look at Haiti, had it not been for their earthquake, most US citizens could have cared less what happened in Haiti, or the conditions the people had to live in before the earthquake, but now, we all suddenly want to help them, where was the helping hand a few years ago or 10 yrs ago? Anyway, I am getting off the subject a bit, Having a public park with its creek doubling as a sewage run-off is ridiculous! If this were to happen ANYWHERE in CA,( or really anywhere else I can think of for that matter), the residents would be absolutely up in arms and demanding answers and a swift clean up from city officials, but the people that were there that day, seemed not to even be concerned about it, or that one of their kids was playing near the waters edge?! This is really disgusting, especially for a public park, why arent people complaining about this and getting it cleaned up? Im sure the EPA would love to know about this, it actually surprises me they havent had thousands of complaint calls already? But really, this seems to be the norm for most of KY, especially nky. At least most of the parks in other parts of KY (that I have personally seen anyway), seem to take pretty good care of their natural areas and parks. Nky seems to be a very strange area, in one sense, the people here seem to be proud of KY overall, but at the same time, try to distance themselves from the rest of the state, for whatever reason that may be, and try to ride the coat-tails of nearby Cincinnati, OH ( which is a city that also is the butt of many jokes), so trying to hitch your wagon to Cincinnatis "star" may not be the best thing to do for your areas overall image! Cincinnati is not a well liked area either. Maybe it is just me, and that I was not born here? You all should at least be proud of your state, even if that means it is a state filled with unemployed, toothless, hill jacks who have an 6th grade education, yes, even NKY is like this too, you all just do not realize it. Sorry, I could not resist!
I don't live in NKY and dont really care for it either to tell the truth, but I do love my state. You say we're all unemployed, uneducated hilljacks though? How about a comparison in unemployment and graduation rates between Kentucky and California.
California - 12.5% unemployed
Kentucky - 10.7% unemployed
Source: NCSL January 2010

That was a good try though. We are proud to live here and don't understand why someone who is supposedly surrounded by countless amenities and recreation has to get his kicks on city-data. Are you just bored? Heres another one for you...
California - 68% graduation rate for July 2009
Kentucky- 72% graduation rate for July 2009
Source: Alliance for Excellent Education

At least you have a beach.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 AM

18 posts, read 55,613 times
Mk, ? Are you stupid? I do not think CA should have anything to say about butt of jokes! LOL. CA is the joke capitol of the USA. I was born in NKY And have been ALL over the world as a Professional Singer. Ca Would not get off there lazy asses and do ANYTHING you would have the Mexicans do it !!! Second Ca is the poorest state in the usa right now that's right even lots of your movie stars are on welfare. Ca is DIRTY!!! DIRTY DIRTY! beaches are gross your bums are gross, Nobody can drive. and everyone lives in a dream land. I do not Live in Ky ANYMORE , Mainly because i like the weather else where. But with the blessing of what i do i have been all over and of EVERYWHERE Ca is the last place i would want to be. And just about anyone i know who has ever been there even my mans friends who wan to leave and are stuck rite because Ca is Bankrupted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky