U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 PM

180 posts, read 664,296 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I have been searching for acreage (30+) in Kentucky for several months, and have made two trips from Idaho to confirm our committment is the right thing for moving our livestock, working dog, housepets, (did I mention US???).

Our on-sight visits did not produce a property we wanted to make an offer on ....they DID make us committed to this move! WE LOVE KENTUCKY and can hardly wait to make this happen!!

Since our July visit (the second one) we have found two properties that we are quite interested in. The second property, located near Berea, seems to be listed with two agents. AND one agent indicates it is Estill County, while the other says it is in Madison County. From internet searches, it seems it is actually in Estill County.

Both listings seem to be current (have different MLS numbers).

Is this common practice in KY (to list with multiple agents?) The price is the same on both websites. But, did I miss something that I should inquire about? Can anyone give us some advice or comments regarding this situation? I'm a bit nervous, although we really like what we see in the photos of the property near Berea.

Thank you

PacaLady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 PM

730 posts, read 1,668,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalady View Post
Hello!

My husband and I have been searching for acreage (30+) in Kentucky for several months, and have made two trips from Idaho to confirm our committment is the right thing for moving our livestock, working dog, housepets, (did I mention US???).

Our on-sight visits did not produce a property we wanted to make an offer on ....they DID make us committed to this move! WE LOVE KENTUCKY and can hardly wait to make this happen!!

Since our July visit (the second one) we have found two properties that we are quite interested in. The second property, located near Berea, seems to be listed with two agents. AND one agent indicates it is Estill County, while the other says it is in Madison County. From internet searches, it seems it is actually in Estill County.

Both listings seem to be current (have different MLS numbers).

Is this common practice in KY (to list with multiple agents?) The price is the same on both websites. But, did I miss something that I should inquire about? Can anyone give us some advice or comments regarding this situation? I'm a bit nervous, although we really like what we see in the photos of the property near Berea.

Thank you

PacaLady
It will be/should be listed with one agent, under a contract. However it will be on the Multiple Listing Service, so any agent can show it or place an AD, etc. If it is nice, more than one agent will try to get the sale. Then they split it with the listing agency.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,807,884 times
Sorry, but the facts are by Kentucky law, two or more brokerages may jointly share in the listing of one property. It is not common, but it can occur. Now, what is most likely, but since I don't know the property, two agents of one brokerage do commonly share a listing. Another confusing situation is when two agents from two offices owned/managed by the same broker, comes up. It is also very possible that a seller doesn't know that it is wrong to have two different firms each with their own listing, but even that is not necessarily illegal as Kentucky does recognize open listings, as well.

I am sorry I can't be more explicite, but without being a member of the Lexington Board, it would be impossile for me to answer your question totally.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Thank you for quick replies!

Leonard: Thanks, yes I do understand that one brokerage might have photos/listing under multiple agents within their brokerage even though from different offices, and websites ....same thing is done here in Idaho etc. And, yes I understand that the MLS services in all states will have all properties listed for sale on their public website. My real confusion was in the fact that this particular property clearly states two different listing agents, with two clearly different descriptions of the property!! So just wanted to make certain I had my facts correct before we make another trip to KY hunting for property!! Thank you again for your information! We appreciate it!!

Tomocox: I appreciate your insight as well, and understand that you are not a member of the Lex Realty Assn. We have a realtor in Lex that we spent nearly a week with on our last trip, and is acting as our 'Buyer's Agent' We are not limiting our options to Lex however (as you can tell by this post, and looking in the Berea area!! Game is on to find our 'perfect' alpaca property and the home of our dreams!!

I've read many of your posts, and am confident in your observations and sharing of knowledge. I am aware that two agents of one 'House' might share a listing/listings (since I have another property on the market with a regional firm here that does the same thing) but the Berea area property has a different appearance, at least on the internet! We are just a bit concerned about how it 'appears' to be listed on the internet, since we have moved long distance previously, and things didn't work out as anticipated. Thus our caution with moving 3000 miles!

Thank you again.... to all of you!
PacaLady

Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 AM

11 posts, read 41,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalady View Post
Leonard: Thanks, yes I do understand that one brokerage might have photos/listing under multiple agents within their brokerage even though from different offices, and websites ....same thing is done here in Idaho etc. And, yes I understand that the MLS services in all states will have all properties listed for sale on their public website. My real confusion was in the fact that this particular property clearly states two different listing agents, with two clearly different descriptions of the property!! So just wanted to make certain I had my facts correct before we make another trip to KY hunting for property!! Thank you again for your information! We appreciate it!!

Tomocox: I appreciate your insight as well, and understand that you are not a member of the Lex Realty Assn. We have a realtor in Lex that we spent nearly a week with on our last trip, and is acting as our 'Buyer's Agent' We are not limiting our options to Lex however (as you can tell by this post, and looking in the Berea area!! Game is on to find our 'perfect' alpaca property and the home of our dreams!!

I've read many of your posts, and am confident in your observations and sharing of knowledge. I am aware that two agents of one 'House' might share a listing/listings (since I have another property on the market with a regional firm here that does the same thing) but the Berea area property has a different appearance, at least on the internet! We are just a bit concerned about how it 'appears' to be listed on the internet, since we have moved long distance previously, and things didn't work out as anticipated. Thus our caution with moving 3000 miles!

Thank you again.... to all of you!
PacaLady

Pacalady,

In some cases Realtors that are not part of a MLS will co list with agents of a brokerage that is part of the MLS to allow for better exposure to the market. Also agents in one area ie madison county might get a listing in an area that is close but that they are not familier. The agent in some cases looks for an agent in that area ie Estill county to help market the property. It works out good for the consumer as a whole because the sellers get exposure and all potiental buyers have access to the property. Hope this helps. Not so uncommon here in central ky.

Joe

Old 10-27-2007, 08:49 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,807,884 times
Pacalady and all respondents. Yes, I am a professional real estate broker, but first and foremost, I see my job as a service to people. If I serve with integrity, which I diligently attempt to do, it matters not whether I receive financial compensation on "every deal", there are plenty of rewards that come from just the knowledge of knowing people have gotten a fair deal with honest & true value. It is my philosophy that if I give first without expectation or obligation, then there are plenty of people who will "take care of me" in return.

That being said, I love Berea. It is a magnificent part of our Earth with the beautiful "mountains" to the east and south, while the rolling plains of the Bluegrass Palateau start stretching to the west and north. This is the country that Daniel Boone, James Herrod, Isaac Shelby, and others first led pioneers to west of the Applachian's during the American Revolution.

I can offer to help you find a good buyer representative to make sure you are getting a fair deal in Madison/Elliott and surrounding counties. If you need PM me.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 PM

730 posts, read 1,668,517 times
Hi,

It looks like you got several good answers and mine may not apply. KY may be a bit different than the Sates where I have lived. That is one of the nice features of this forum, someone will be likely to know the fine details in a specific case.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 PM

Thanks Leonard!
Yes, I love this forum website! I've learned a great deal, and can expect a variety of answers to be better able to make a decision! Especially when we hope to move across country with our entire farm family of alpacas, LGD, house dog, two cats, and the kitchen sink!!

Thank you again.
PacaLady

Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,316 times
Did you find land in TN or KY for your alpaca farm ? My husband and I are also looking for land in eastern TN to start an alpaca farm? hycuaya's or suri's? We thought some cattle country land with open pastures would be the way to go. My husband is originally from KY but has not lived there for the past 40 yrs. We would consider southern Ky only because of the colder weather up northern. I personally want the apalachian mountains of eastern TN away from the congestion of the smokie mtns. please respond.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 61,847 times
Default Farm in Ky for sale

We have a farm in Ky for sale. It is located in MEade County. Close to Fort Knox and Louisville. Are you interested in this area? If so, I will send more inform and pics. thanks, Kathleen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky