U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM

206 posts, read 1,045,029 times

Advertisements

I just joined because I felt a need to respond to your posts and to introduce myself. I am currently living in Florida and have purchased land in KY. We can't wait to get out of here. Our house is up for sale... and as everyone knows....the market sucks !!! I've been in Florida since 1991 when my job forced me to decide between Central Florida or Alpharetta Georgia. I still think I made the right choice, however it's now time to leave. The kids are gone, I'm raising a grandchild, and we just want a better life for us and her.
We are very much looking forward to raising her in KY on a small farm in a rural area.

I'm originally from Mass. and my husbarnd grew up all over the states, Navy Brat. His parents are in Somerset, so that is what sent us to KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 PM

237 posts, read 771,122 times
I also have to put my 2 cents worth in. I was born in central Florida to parents & extended family from Kentucky. As a young person I always looked forward to our yearly family trips to visit relatives and friends scattered between Butler county, Louisville & Lexington! I've lived in Atlanta for the last 20 years or so and am tired of it.
The wife came with me a few years ago for a visit & fell in love with the place! We too have bought some land and are working towards retiring there.
I know my parents would be proud of my decision to return to the family 'roots'.

Dig~

Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM

276 posts, read 716,195 times
I wish both of you good luck. You are a great deal farther along in leaving this horrible state of Florida. Now, this place (central FL) is in a full blown recession. I am still intent upon exiting this swamp; hence, I visited in KY in order to evaluate employment possibilities. As I stated previously in my threads, I came here only because of the illness of my mother ;and, unfortunately, I got stuck here. I never did like it. I hope that I will be joining you, but you will most likely "beat me to the punch" in escaping this overrated state of Florida!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,768,851 times
What a wonderful thread..I may just start coming to my state forum more often..I just wish all you Florida people a good trip back to Ky..And a special welcome to those of you who choose to live in the South and Eastern part of this beautiful state..Just keep the beauty, friendliness and laid back quiet life to yourselves...SSSHHH..We don't need or desire the hustle of big city here So we let them think about us as Ma and Pa Kettle type people We even have a big Hillbilly Day celebration here every spring for the Shriners Childrens Hospital in Lexington..People from all over the country come and they like to dress up like Daisy Duke, or the Clampets, and we sell em lots of "Billy Bob "teath" and we get a big laugh out of that while takin in lots of money and supporting the kids

Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,988,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
What a wonderful thread..I may just start coming to my state forum more often..I just wish all you Florida people a good trip back to Ky..And a special welcome to those of you who choose to live in the South and Eastern part of this beautiful state..Just keep the beauty, friendliness and laid back quiet life to yourselves...SSSHHH..We don't need or desire the hustle of big city here So we let them think about us as Ma and Pa Kettle type people We even have a big Hillbilly Day celebration here every spring for the Shriners Childrens Hospital in Lexington..People from all over the country come and they like to dress up like Daisy Duke, or the Clampets, and we sell em lots of "Billy Bob "teath" and we get a big laugh out of that while takin in lots of money and supporting the kids

when is that??? I would LOVE to come!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,768,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
when is that??? I would LOVE to come!
Hi, Missy, gosh it's been ages since I talked to you Hillbilly days are usually held around the second or third week in April..Have been going on for over thirty years I think..It was started by a couple of local Shriners and has spread to shriners all over the country and Canada..It is really a wonderful, down home festival..That everyone does it for "the kids" There is information on the PikeCo. Chamber of Commerce and the links..

Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 PM

206 posts, read 1,045,029 times
Blue62... Your secret is safe with me... but my sister did visit me at my new property in October and I think she's in love too !! But I know she will never leave Mass. I would love to attend those HillBilly Days. Our new place in KY should be ready by April... so maybe I'll see you there

Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM

237 posts, read 771,122 times
I've been trying to talk my older sister into moving to Ky. to retire too. She is a teacher in Birmingham, Alabama and should be ready to retire in about 10 years as well. She, as I, loves the state and could have a higher standard of living there. But she has a daughter & grand-daughter in Mobile that sort of complicates things. I am going to drag her up somtime is the spring and let her see how pretty the view from the Green River is....hopefully that will remind her of the wonders of Kentucky!

Dig~

Old 11-09-2007, 07:59 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,988,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Hi, Missy, gosh it's been ages since I talked to you Hillbilly days are usually held around the second or third week in April..Have been going on for over thirty years I think..It was started by a couple of local Shriners and has spread to shriners all over the country and Canada..It is really a wonderful, down home festival..That everyone does it for "the kids" There is information on the PikeCo. Chamber of Commerce and the links..
Thanks sweetie!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:14 AM

276 posts, read 716,195 times
Yes, I completely concur with the opinion that those of us who wish to relocate to KY should embrace the status quo. I was upset that a new road was being constructed in Hazard (which was necessary since the old one was crumbling); however, the locals assured me that the area would not be left treeless since erosion may result.

The locals were laughing since I was even more "meticulous" about preserving the natural beauty. I suppose that it is necessary to attempt to reclaim an area after construction based upon the law. Would this conclusion be correct? Shhhhhhhh! I won't tell if you won't! I just want these areas to stay as undisturbed as possible!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky