U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM

276 posts, read 714,582 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a visit to eastern KY. I visited the area from Hazard to Pikeville. I was able to travel with a friend who grew up in the Hazard area; hence, I was introducted to friends and relatives. I was welcomed with open arms, and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and I quickly grew to love the area.

My friend is moving back after years in FL, and I am attempting to also move. I found the people to be friendly and helpful in directing me to some influencial individuals that perhaps could assist in attaining employment as a community college or college instructor. In my humble opinion, many of those that have written negative comments in the past about the area were essentially incorrect. True, there is poverty, but there is also a strong middle class as well as a wealthy element. They are not hicks or uneducated bums for the most part (an element evident in any area of the US); rather, many have achieved success despite the fact that they were raised in underprivileged homes or poor communities. I have the utmost respect for these "self starters."

In essence, I did not experience the stereotypical "hick" or "hillbilly" that had no desire to better himself or herself (although I was told that that particular type of person did indeed exist in the community by some embarrassed residents). Instead, I was welcomed into several homes that exuded with love and close family relations. I have come to the conclusion that there are both productive as well as lazy individuals in any community (and I have resided in many areas of this nation both east and west). Personally, this floridahater would love to live in eastern Kentucky. The mountains were beautiful with autumn colors, but many of the people living in that mountainous region were even more beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 PM

325 posts, read 1,027,251 times
Thanks for your post ! It seems that KY has such a negative "hick" image. There are lots and lots of great, intelligent people in this state! Please share your experience with others.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,710,437 times
Aah Florida, thank you so much for your post about us..I just wish you had told me when you were coming..I would also liked to have welcomed you

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM

Centre and blue62:
It was my pleasure to tell the truth. Now, I really want to move to your beautiful state! I shall return (I hope on a permanent basis)!! I discovered that the people in eastern KY were more interested in the quality of a person rather than the geographic region where he or she had resided previously. The church I attended was warm and friendly.

Yes, blue62, I should have told you about my visit. I will do so when I am in town again. Incidentally, the drive from Hazard to Pikeville was ablaze with colors. I had to pull over and stop my car lest I cause an accident!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,946,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
In essence, I did not experience the stereotypical "hick" or "hillbilly" that had no desire to better himself or herself (although I was told that that particular type of person did indeed exist in the community by some embarrassed residents).
shoot fire we have those in Louisville!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 AM

383 posts, read 1,038,794 times
Yeah, I find that more hicks and hillbillies who have no desire to better themselves reside in my community in Illinois, near Chicago, which is supposed to be upscale. Ha, what a joke.

Kentucky is beautiful, don't let anyone fool you. We tell people it is full of hicks to keep everyone away.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM

323 posts, read 988,912 times
Floridahater..... I'm so glad to hear you got to visit and had such a pleasant one. Also glad to hear you took my advice and was able to make the drive from Hazard to Pikeville... although maybe sometime you could also see Middlesboro on up to Morehead! You've just seen a smidgeon of why we love it here in Eastern Kentucky!

jak88 is absolutely correct. While I love to have people see how awesome it is here and relocate... it's a bitter pill to swallow that someday the serenity, beauty and "behind-the-times" living we so much treasure here... will be intruded upon and stamped out. Especially seeing how so many people want population booms and industries built! :c/

Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Floridahater..... I'm so glad to hear you got to visit and had such a pleasant one. Also glad to hear you took my advice and was able to make the drive from Hazard to Pikeville... although maybe sometime you could also see Middlesboro on up to Morehead! You've just seen a smidgeon of why we love it here in Eastern Kentucky!

jak88 is absolutely correct. While I love to have people see how awesome it is here and relocate... it's a bitter pill to swallow that someday the serenity, beauty and "behind-the-times" living we so much treasure here... will be intruded upon and stamped out. Especially seeing how so many people want population booms and industries built! :c/

Absolutely correct! However, I don't believe that the limited job market will permit overwhelming growth (I hope not). Indeed, the area is the best kept secret that I have come across. I know that I must sound terrible because I am an outsider desiring to move and I shouldn't restrict others from moving to eastern KY. I just don't want to pristine beauty disturbed. I am now back in FL and I hate it more and more. I could puke being back here--it's ugly, colorless and and flat. People should make sure that growth is regulated in order to preserve the beautiful environment!! Nonetheless, it should be remembered that eastern KY is not for everyone. Some people like big malls and an exciting night life (especially younger people). One simply will not find these things in eastern KY. Perhaps that will retard rapid growth (I hope)!
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I am also for keeping the secret!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 529,673 times
I agree.. I wish someone would stop the ugly sprawl in Florida.. I used to live in KY and loved the nature, beauty element. I think it's possible to have growth while being mindful of the landscape. The northeast has done a great job in many areas keeping the rural feel to places in CT -- and managed growth (like mandatory acre lots in subdivisions.. could you imagine if Florida had done any of that???) Normally I hate government involvement but when it preserves beauty in the land I live in.. I can't help but welcome it.

Good luck with your move to KY.. Traysea

Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traysea View Post
I agree.. I wish someone would stop the ugly sprawl in Florida.. I used to live in KY and loved the nature, beauty element. I think it's possible to have growth while being mindful of the landscape. The northeast has done a great job in many areas keeping the rural feel to places in CT -- and managed growth (like mandatory acre lots in subdivisions.. could you imagine if Florida had done any of that???) Normally I hate government involvement but when it preserves beauty in the land I live in.. I can't help but welcome it.

Good luck with your move to KY.. Traysea
Are you living in FL (God forbid)? Or, are you residing in CT? Whatever the place, yes there can be managed growth. I have seen my former home of San Diego totally destroyed by development as well as CO Springs. I makes me sick!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky