U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,170 times

Advertisements

HI
I AM CONSIDERING MOVING TO BOONE COUNTY.
IN THE CITY OF UNION, IN NORTHERN KENTUCKY.
THE HOMES SEEM TO BE GREAT LOOKING AND GREAT VALUE
HERE ARE MY CONCERNS:/FEARS( :confused?!)
1.TORNADO'S
2.WINTER MONTHS
3.THE PADUCAH CONTAMINATION PROBLEM.
4.THE LEVEL OF RADIOACTIVE TOXINS
FOUND IN THE SURROUNDING RIVERS.
5.THE LEVEL OF MERCURY FOUND IN WILD LIFE
AND OCEAN LIFE. ALONG THE INDIANA AND OHIO RIVERS.
6.WILL I MAKE THE SAME KIND OF MONEY THAT I DO
IN CALIFORNIA? L.A.
7.THE FACT THAT THERE IS A WEB SITE CALLED SPROL THAT TELLS THE PUBLIC WERE THE WORST PLACES IN WORLD ARE TO LIVE AND WESTERN KENTUCKY WAS ALL OVER IT ALONG WITH A SERIOUS DANGER ABOUT TORNADOES.
8.ALSO THERE HAVE BEEN 8 TORNADO'S FROM 1956-1992. IN BOONE COUNTY. ONLY 1 WAS A F4 RATING WITH UP TO 5,000,000 IN DAMAGE.
HOW MANY WERE IN UNION??
9.(WHAT KIND OF WILD LIFE DO YOU SEE THERE?? DO THEY COME
IN THE RESIDENTIAL AREAS??)

I SELL BMW'S I MAKE A SIX FIGURE INCOME.
WILL I MAKE THAT IN KENTUCKY?
SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO.
THAT IS MY QUESTION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 12:18 PM

51 posts, read 253,919 times
Default Don't sweat the tornadoes

The earthquake threat in Southern California in my opinion greatly outweighs the tornado risk in Boone County. I have a friend who has lived in Boone County, specifically in Union for several years. I consider myself somewhat of an amateur meterologist and follow severe storms closely. The part of KY most susceptible to severe storms lies well southwest of there down near Evansville, IN. Tornadic storms often form closer to the Mississippi Valley and tend to weaken as they move further to the northeast. Texas & Oklahoma have about 100 times more tornadoes than we do

Paducah is so far from Boone County (200 miles) I seriously wouldnt worry about it. I grew up in the rust belt of Northern Ohio where contamination is far more of a concern in my honest opinion. Union is far enough south of the river you'll never even see it unless you drive over to Cincinnati. If you can sell BMW's, you can make money here or anywhere....Many people in Triple Crown in Union drive them and you can probably afford to live there too. The cost of living is much cheaper here.

Winter---yeah it snows sometimes, but Kentucky does a better job than Cincinnati does across the river of making sure the roads are cleared.

Moderator cut: advertising

mortgageguyKY

Last edited by Marka; 10-11-2006 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,166 times
Default Selling BMW's

Good luck with your big decision. I did a google search,
"selling BMW's for a living", and came across your relocation post. Like yourself, I to live in LA, and I am thinking about changing careers. I am considering selling BMW's and any insight that you can give me about the local dealers, the selliing process, or anything else that you would consider relevant would be greatly appreciated...mlt

Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,305,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageguyKY View Post
The earthquake threat in Southern California in my opinion greatly outweighs the tornado risk in Boone County. I have a friend who has lived in Boone County, specifically in Union for several years. I consider myself somewhat of an amateur meterologist and follow severe storms closely. The part of KY most susceptible to severe storms lies well southwest of there down near Evansville, IN. Tornadic storms often form closer to the Mississippi Valley and tend to weaken as they move further to the northeast. Texas & Oklahoma have about 100 times more tornadoes than we do

Paducah is so far from Boone County (200 miles) I seriously wouldnt worry about it. I grew up in the rust belt of Northern Ohio where contamination is far more of a concern in my honest opinion. Union is far enough south of the river you'll never even see it unless you drive over to Cincinnati. If you can sell BMW's, you can make money here or anywhere....Many people in Triple Crown in Union drive them and you can probably afford to live there too. The cost of living is much cheaper here.

Winter---yeah it snows sometimes, but Kentucky does a better job than Cincinnati does across the river of making sure the roads are cleared.

Moderator cut: advertising

mortgageguyKY
Hey, RELOCATE TORNADO JITTERS....

I can certainly relate to your tornado fears. I moved to Texas from Burbank, CA 28 years ago and as yet, I still hate the severe storms. I've not been in nor seen a tornado in all the years I've lived here but the threat is frequently there. In 2000 had I looked across the road and toward the lake, I would have seen one which came very close to me but I was bunkered down in my storm cellar with about 15 other people. That one was an F3 and killed one guy.

I don't agree with mortgageguy KY regarding the earthquakes and tornadoes. Although both can bring devastating results, one doesn't really worry all that much about earthquakes because they're so far and few between. I was in the quake in 1971 centered in Sylmar and yes, I was scared to death and must admit that the aftershocks after the initial quake were also unnerving, but I still think I'd take earthquake country to tornado country any day.

I checked the NCDC Storm Events web site and found that from January 01, 1950 to July 31, 2006, Boone County has had only 14 tornadoes with one F4 and one F5. During these years, Texas has had six F5 tornadoes and Kentucky 3. F4 - Texas 78 and Kentucky 38.

Let me clarify that Texas doesn't have 100 times more tornadoes than Kentucky. During those 56 years, Texas has had 7,561 of them and Kentucky, 703. That would be about 10 times more but one must consider the size of the two states when figuring this.

TX has 261,797 square miles of land and KY has 39,728 which makes TX about 6 1/2 times larger than KY.

So there you have it. I'm only telling you this because had I known about how scary the possibility of a tornado forming from an horrendous thunderstorm, I wouldn't be here today and hope to be leaving when I retire. I know we can't live in fear and bad weather of some sort is just about everywhere, but you can bet there are places safer than tornado areas and earthquake areas and I'm going to find one eventually!!

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:15 PM

12 posts, read 39,442 times
Default Silas

Ha Ha Ha...
California vs Kentucky for safety and pollution! Thats a good one!

Seriously, the difference in crime rates relate to your safety much more than the weather.

BTW: Boone county is more than 400 miles from the Paducah atomic energy plant and Paduach is one of the safest, and healthiest communities anywhere.

Concerning the weather, You're more likely to be gored by an African Rhino than be killed by Kentucky weather.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:24 PM

647 posts, read 1,800,977 times
Great balls of fire, you sure are worried about a lot of stuff. So, yeah, with all those dangers in Kentucky, you better find somewhere else to go, you know, just to be on the safe side. I hear that Miami is a nice place to look into............

Old 01-07-2007, 06:30 AM

850 posts, read 2,847,910 times
Silas - your African Rhino prediction is very accurate! And extremely funny!

Relocate Tornado Jitters - I am wondering what other sources you have recieved your info from, because the things you are concerned about do not sound as though you are talking about Kentucky at all! No wonder you are afraid!

And, I must say this , if you can tolerate the thought of earthquakes almost daily ( that is only what I have read and heard) in CA - then you have nothing to worry about here. As a matter of fact, some of the areas you have talked about welcome bad weather (no damage though, thank you) because it is the most exciting thing that occurs! That's a joke, but pretty close to true, especially if you are on the Volunteer Fire Department in a small town. Not much happens as a general rule.

Will I make the same kind of money that I do in California?

Well, it will be green and legal tender - but I really doubt it. It does, however depend on your line of work. Be forewarned, the job market is a little slow here right now, but there are things out there. I am not familiar with the BMW market, but if there is money to be made, there are dealers around.

And, sweetie - take your cap locks off - it is okay. You really do not have to be that afraid - I promise. I have survived 40 years here, and except for one exceptionally bad outbreak of Tornadoes in April 1974, it is generally quiet.

I just thought of something - are you referring to Breckenridge County, KY? I ask this because they were hit hard in '74, and they do seem to catch the brunt of storms. It sits along the river and has a bridge in Brandenburg which crosses into Corydon Indiana. Beautiful country.

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky