U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 AM

40 posts, read 192,549 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from california, where you can not smoke anywhere or near anything. I was wondering what are the laws in NKY, can you smoke in a restuarants, bars, movie theathers ect.... thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM

241 posts, read 1,202,160 times
At present, you can smoke in bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, etc. in NKY, but not across the river in Ohio. Of course, business owners may establish non-smoking policies themselves, although very few do. That may change soon, however. A coalition formed by groups from Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties (three core counties of NKY) is pushing for a regional smoking ban in public places. A similar ban has already passed in the city of Lexington. But I don't see a statewide ban taking hold any time soon.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 35,402 times
Boy it would be nice if it did!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM

39 posts, read 179,515 times
Default Smoking

Maybe you know that Kentucky ranks number one in cigarette smokers per capita, highest rate in the entire nation. So I'd agree with the previous post, not likely to change any time real soon. What amazes me as a fairly new emigree to KY is that many of the local mom and pop restaurants don't even bother to establish non-smoking areas. You'll find an ashtray on every table and the air thick with smoke in some places. Even the HuddleHouse, a national chain, has this going on here in Murray. I like their food but I won't go back...the smoke is just too much of an issue. Same thing at another little greasy spoon place I tried last weekend....great breakfast but yuck, too much nasty smoke and no place to get away from it.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM

156 posts, read 569,315 times
yeah its a serious problem... but there are preliminary talks of a state-wide thing... boone, kenton and campbell are trying to homogenize with the rest of cincinnati on this issue (you can't smoke in parts of town that are in OH)... can't wait until they do... Arnie's is the smokiest bar ever...

Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,563 times
Unhappy This needs to STOP!

WHY are we as taxpayers letting the government and city officals tell us what we can and can not do?? I mean if a bar wants their customers happy and smoking is part of it, then it is the owners rights. Why should the City tell the owners what they can and can not do. LET THE OWNERS MAKE THAT DECISION NOT THE CITY. If you don't like the smoke then don't go to that bar or resturant. I feel that the city officals are stepping out of line and could run businesses away

Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,476,651 times
Nitro201-That is the new "Big Brother" mentalltity of todays world.. If they can't do it themselves, then we much force them to and before you know it, it will be illegal to sever a overweight person anything but a salad is restaruants and there will be no salt on the tables and only children 12 and up will be allowed...

I gurantee you, it will not stop with smoking, that is just the beginning.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:13 AM

245 posts, read 1,157,310 times
The "smokers rights" argument sounds like it's coming from a 12 year old... ...or maybe from the lobbying efforts of Philip Morris.

SECOND HAND SMOKE IS A DEADLY POLLUTANT. Just like asbestos. Just like lead pollution. Just like with any deadly pollution.

Just how this concept lost on you is beyond me. Prohibiting smoking in indoor public places is not about "big brother" telling you what to do. It's about creating a healthy employment environment for the unfortunate people who work in smoke filled places who are forced to breathe second hand smoke all day. Many of these people are working poor and do not have health insurance. When these uninsured demographically poor people end up with cancer, WE THE TAXPAYERS end up paying for the Medicaid bill.

Ever been to a smoke free bar? It's actually pretty nice. You simply step outside to smoke for 1-3 minutes. And when you leave you don't reek of cigarette smoke. You also don't feel dead tired for the next 1-2 days because you spent the previous night breathing clouds of smoke.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 AM

15,587 posts, read 23,187,770 times
To put it again simply. Fight for your freedom or you will have none.

I am from (Chicago) Illinois where a statewide smoking ban just took effect. From what I can see, walking down the street on a Friday night, and looking into bars,business is down big-time. Bars where there used to be people waiting in line to get into-even on a 10 degree Friday night were only half full. Other bars only had 25%-33% of the tables and seats at the bar filled.

I as a smoker have no problem if there is no smoking in most buildings, but bars? Bars are the last refuge of the working man-the working FREE MAN. I have always said there should be non-smoking and smoking bars. Is that not a good comprimise? The excuse in Illinois is "we need to protect the health of the people that work in bars". That is bull crap.Dont let them pull that on you down there. Most people that work in bars smoke (at least up here) and from what I have seen when I lived in KY, it is true also.

Compromise is not in the anti-smoking freaks agenda. Be careful who you get into debates on here with and who you give information to. I have seen similar threads started in different states on here where people are like : "I am not taking sides but what do you think about smoking? Where can you smoke and where can you not smoke?." What is really interesting is they never say if they are a smoker or non-smoker and they are almost always do not live in state or area they are asking about. They come to get info so they can send lobbyists out to your area and find supporters they can brainwash.

The American Lung Association is trying to pick off states one by one and ban smoking in just about every situation. The brainwashed anti-smoking nuts in Chicago are even complaining about people smoking while walking down the street because of the ALA bull crap. What about all the pollution from cars? Some people truly are ignorant.

It is getting so bad here, the Park District in Chicago banned smoking on beaches and in PARKS! I hope all of you in KY can reach a compromise and stand up for places for smokers before the ALA buys off all of your politicians. Be respectful smokers. Only smoke in bars,your house,your car,outside,keep the smoke away from your and everyone elses children,etc...

Dont ever let them take all your bars from you however. Show these people you care about others, but you want your right to smoke in bars. Suggest they can make half the bars smoking and the others not if it comes down to it.

For the record, I have lived in Eastern K.Y. and in London. I am a native Chicagoan. If you might be wondering why I am here,I check the KY section every so often to see what is going on.

Good luck everyone.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,343,335 times
I guess what amazes me is that I've seen SO many drop-dead-gorgeous women in the Bluegrass that are pregnant AND smoking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or