U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 35,402 times

Advertisements

Please if you live in Berea, or ever did please tell me about it.

Community activities, churches, schools, cost of living, youth groups, book clubs.... everything.

It seems like it may be the perfect place for me, but i could be wrong... please help!

We are a christian family ( living in kentucky close to berea) Man and wife and one son. We love nature, hiking, arts, and God.

Please be honest about Berea... looks can be deceiving!

PS please pm link for homes and apartments to rent so i can see how the costs range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 AM

104 posts, read 375,667 times
If you are into the Appalachian culture you will love Berea. It's small, quite, clean, and beautiful. Its also very close to the huge shopping area located off Man O War I-75 exit in Lexington, so on those days when you need that many choices you are maybe 30 minutes away. Berea College is the location of the Appalachian archives. The town revolves around bluegrass music, traditional bluegrass dance, traditional mountain arts and crafts, and preserving the Appalachian culture. Hopefully it will never get discovered by a celebrity and turned into another Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Berea is the real deal, not the Hallmark version. Yes, congratulate yourself, you have found a wonderful place.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 AM

835 posts, read 2,612,808 times
berea has lots to offer i think by how you describe yourself you'd fit right in, however some people in recent years have started "art" fairs, lol we all know what "art" attracts, so if those weirder folk who come to town now and then do not bother you, you'll like Berea

Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,288 times
Hi. I too am thinking a Berea, however am not that religious. I am part of a cohabitating couple (Researcher and Professor) with two teenage children. I grew up in horse country NJ and am drawn to smaller town, but wonder if low levels of religious ideation would be problematic.
Thanks.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 AM

10,474 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Most Bereans are open-minded. The churches there run the gamut from quite conservative to religiously liberal. Some churches have lots of activities for their congregations in addition to weekly services, while others do not.

As is the case everywhere, no doubt some people in Berea would stand in judgement of you, but I think it's unlikely that you'd receive overtly unfriendly treatment because of your marital status. Most of my Berea friends would not be so rude as to bring it up in conversation and would treat you as they would any other new acquaintance, with pleasant courtesy and consideration. I assume you wouldn't flaunt your status, which of course is your own business and no one else's.

Your teens might be interested in the Berea Festival Dancers, a wonderful troupe of middle and high school age teens who perform traditional dances of various kinds - you can see them on Youtube, I recently learned. They've traveled extensively and are heading to Denmark this summer on a dance tour. They are bright, friendly kids with good parents, and have excellent leadership in the dance group.

BTW, does the professor half of your couple hope to teach at Berea College?

Last edited by CraigCreek; 02-04-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Onthemove, I don't follow your remark about "weirder folk" being attracted by art fairs. Fairs of this sort have been going on in and around Berea for over 40 years, and it seems to me that those I've seen in attendance are completely unobjectionable.True, a few "freeze-dried hippie" types live in and around Berea, too, and often are artists and/or craftspeople, and may even attend the various art fairs - but I have no problem with tie-dye and Birkenstocks!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Original poster, from your other posts it appears you now live in beautiful but isolated Jackson County, to the near southeast of Berea. If you're still this close by, I'd suggest you attend services at the Berea churches which interest you and talk to both the pastors and the congregations. Similarly, discussing housing costs with Berea realtors and having a look at what's available might be more productive than asking for help here - there are Berea realtors who have websites with their offerings arranged by price.

The Berea library offers a number of programs which may interest you - not sure if they have a book discussion group at present, but they could direct you to others, more than likely.

As you probably know, many Berea activities are offered or are otherwise associated with Berea College. Most of their concerts, lectures, and other programs are open to the public and Berea College has an excellent drama department which presents several plays each year.

The Kentucky Artisan Center and Old Town Berea's visitor center have lots going on, too - arts and crafts demonstrations and of course traditional music and dance presentations. Participatory social dances (contras, squares, and English country dance, often preceded by potluck dinners) are presented by various groups several times a month, at the Acton Center and on campus.

For hiking, Indian Fort Mountain and Anglin Falls are short drives from downtown Berea. Each offers good hiking trails and spectacular scenery, as you probably know.

Hope this helps - as close as you are, I'd suggest planning a Berea weekend sometime soon to check out the lovely place!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,188 times
I live in Ann Arbor. Thinking of moving to Berea to retire. I believe A2 has the largest art fair in the country. It's spread out over most of the downtown and main U of M campus area. It's a trip and it's fun watching the people. I would suspect Berea would be more of the same on a smaller scale.

Please tell me more about Berea and Richmind.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:49 AM

23,545 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjeep View Post
I live in Ann Arbor. Thinking of moving to Berea to retire. I believe A2 has the largest art fair in the country. It's spread out over most of the downtown and main U of M campus area. It's a trip and it's fun watching the people. I would suspect Berea would be more of the same on a smaller scale.

Please tell me more about Berea and Richmind.
Berea is kind of in the middle of nowhere. It's a little too far (IMO) to commute to Lexington for work. The economy in eastern KY is lousy overall. It has a sizable arts and crafts community, but it's obviously nowhere near as big as Ann Arbor, nor is the area liberal like Ann Arbor is. Berea has a small college, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to Michigan.

I stopped in Berea Wednesday and it's really a gorgeous area, but the lack of employment is a major drawback. You could commute to Lexington, but going that far up 75 would suck in the winter.

I don't know that much about Richmond, but it's more accessible to Lexington than Berea.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,188 times
Thanks for the comments. The key word here is to retire. We won't need jobs, so the job market isn't an issue. we asre looking for the smaller town atmosphere. Ann Arbor is getting too big and too conjested. The Art Fair is too big - stopped going to it years aqo. I'm sick of the all the spoiled rich kids at the Big Blue U who do nothing but drink and raise hell. A good example: Did you read about all the damage U of M frats and serority menbers did at two ski resorts in Northern Michigan? Prooerty damage & lost revenue at one of them came to $400,000.00 plus. Then there is the high cost of living and housing plus Michigan's no-fault car insurence. "A lot of reasons to get out of dodge"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky