U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:22 PM

145 posts, read 466,531 times

Advertisements

I am currently a resident at UK's hospital and my wife and I live in lexington. She is from Owensboro and is desperate to move back. I am from northern kentucky and can't stand if down there. It's not the people..they are wonderful. It is the fact that things I do here and back home that I take for granted won't be available to me down there. For example no more going to the bengals games or reds games..if I want to do that it's a four plus hour drive. There isn't a mall anywhere around (evansville for the record doesn't count...it's a fourty five mintue drive.) I feel like my career would suffer as well. The hospital is small and old and doesn't have the technology Lexington and Louisvilles do. I worry about the quality of health care in the area. I am catholic and want my children in good catholic shools. In northen kentucky and lexington there are a tremendous amount of them to choose from. From what i've read there is only one called owensboro catholic that seems marginal at best. Basically I feel isolated down there. She loves it because that's what she's grown up with but I ask her if its so great then why haven't any of her friends moved back since they finished college. I'm sorry to rant but I am concerned about living there. Any one from the area want to shed some positive spin on it. Like I said, my problem isn't the people it's the town. It has industrial plants in it's downtown..some soybean factory and for the third biggest city in kentucky it has half of what smaller ones seem to offer. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:43 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,806,766 times
Daviess and McLean Counties were my home until some 25 years ago. I still go there and I see what you fear. It is real. Under no current circumstances will the ODCH serve your career unless you will be satisfied accepting a huge income with no place to spend it. The hospital which I was born in and later spent 4 weeks of my life in does not have a good quality reputation, but that being said, here is what I feel you must reconcile within yourself: Nearly every thing you said was about material issues. Oh, we can argue about the value of Catholic education all day long (I helped to send to boys through a big Louisville Catholic school.), we can argue about so much, but let's get to what is your bride worth. You may have to give her a year to self-discover while you are a bit miffed, but then you might like Owensboro by then too. A Dr. whom I genuinely respect did his residency and moved to Montana, spent about 5 years there and came back to Calhoun where he grew up. He gave up so much, but he made good money, and what he did for that small town can never be measured in gold.

I don't mean to be a therapist here, but your questions can't be answered to your liking unless you first statisfy the marital and spiritual needs first. Owensboro, just like Cincinnati is not for everyone. If I were a lawyer called to prosecute or defend Owensboro, I could make a very good case either way. Your questions however can not be answered until you know the value of your spouse and your faith.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM

I aprpeaciate it...I value my spouse immensly...that is why we are moving to Owensboro to make her happy and get her closer to home.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:57 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,806,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I aprpeaciate it...I value my spouse immensly...that is why we are moving to Owensboro to make her happy and get her closer to home.
Sandman, I truly applaud your love! I wish I could say so much more here to encourage you, but I don't feel it would be appropriate. Just know that lots of people care about you and your efforts will not go unnoticed no matter how much you might feel all alone.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:46 PM

149 posts, read 702,792 times
Y'all understand Louisville vacinity to Owensboro's just 2 hr drive. Perfect for holiday visits. Yer the Resident Physician, convince yer wife career opportunities take precident over dwelling with in-laws. Gotta demand compromise and remind yer wife that mother in law 2 hrs away oughta be close enough. Warm up a few MIL jokes and tell her you married her for herself and NOT to get closer with her mom and dad.

Meanwhile can recommend Bardstown for strongest Catholic influence in commonwealth with thriving upscale environment less than hour from L'ville. Healthy/wealthy affluent town with lots to do - golf courses, mansions, restaurants and shops. Rated probly the most upscale/historic town in Ky perfect for raising family and settling down.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,759,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Y'all understand Louisville vacinity to Owensboro's just 2 hr drive. Perfect for holiday visits. Yer the Resident Physician, convince yer wife career opportunities take precident over dwelling with in-laws. Gotta demand compromise and remind yer wife that mother in law 2 hrs away oughta be close enough. Warm up a few MIL jokes and tell her you married her for herself and NOT to get closer with her mom and dad.

Meanwhile can recommend Bardstown for strongest Catholic influence in commonwealth with thriving upscale environment less than hour from L'ville. Healthy/wealthy affluent town with lots to do - golf courses, mansions, restaurants and shops. Rated probly the most upscale/historic town in Ky perfect for raising family and settling down.
I agree here...could there be some compromise? Maybe trying to move to one of the Louisville exurbs (like Etown or Bardstown). Both are basically about the size of Owensboro on their own but have much brighter economies, better schools, and are closer to the city. As part of a metro area of over 1.3 million, the opportunities will be much better for you guys. Bardstown is heavily Catholic and quite affluent. You may also consider the closer in suburbs of Louisville like Sheperdsville and Mt Washington. Each area is less than 30 minutes from the downtown of a major metro much larger than Lexington. It is the same distance to your Reds games as your home in Lexington, and it is much closer to your wife's home, where trips could be made in less than 2 hours. I am all for loving one's spouse, but any relationship requires compromise. Also, what about your family in your hometown? Louisville's south suburbs are halfway between there and your wife's family as well. Ask your wife to consider the Louisville suburbs as a halfway compromise for your career, schooling wishes, and her wishes to be closer to family and in a smaller town.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,864,014 times
I live in Bowling Green, but I have had business in Owensboro for years. I love the people in Owensboro. They really are some of the nicest, friendliest people in any area you could be in...much more than Bowling Green which is further south. But I have always noticed the differences in the two cities. Even though Owensboro is supposed to be the the third largest city in KY, Bowling Green seems much more progressive. We offer so much more in the area of tourism, hotels, restaurants, and malls. I really think Bowling Green might overtake that third city spot soon. Bowling Green is also very industrial but it seems the industrial parks have been well planned and are out of site. Bowling Green has a good size Catholic population, but nothing like Owensboro. Our Catholic schools only go through 8th grade so that might be a drawback. Bowling Green is only an hour from Owensboro, an hour from Nashville, and about an hour and twenty minutes from Louisville so that make it very attractive also. We also have two hospitals, one of which is growing by leaps and bounds. Just food for thought.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 AM

14 posts, read 68,283 times
Thought I'd put in my two cents. In case no one else has heard, the "old" hospital is going to be replaced by a huge new one on the city's outskirts. From what I read this will truly be one of the best hospitals in the region. True it's going to take a few years to build, but it might be worth waiting for. I was born in Owensboro and lived there till I was 27. I hated it when I was there, but after living in Louisville for the past 11 years, I'd give my right arm to move back there. Not alot of opportunity in the career field I've chosen, so I'm stuck here in the big city. Owensboro's only has two real issues that will need to be addressed sooner or later: it has to find progressive leadership to make the city more competitive. Everything always comes down to money there; they just don't seem to understand you have to spend money to make money. Hopefully someday someone will come along that can motivate the citizens to see things clearly. Also, they need an interstate highway either thru there or closer than it is now. Improvements have been made to have easier access to I-64, including a nice new bridge, but it's not nearly enough. Once again, money. All in all, the quality of life, in my opinion, can't be beat.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 AM

Thank you all for your advise. I didn't want to get to much into details but her folks are getting older and have an enormous family farm that's been with them for generations. She is the only child and at some point its going to be up to us to take care of it...I don't know how to do that with so much land and not be in the area. Selling it isn't an option unfortunately as it is dear to her and her family but that as well as he being an only child and wanting to be able to help out her parents is drawing her home. It's hard to argue with that but I dread having to go there. Louisville has been discussed before but how to take care of that farm without being able to keep an eye on it is a huge factor. I have hear rumors about the new medical facility but I will believe it when I see it. The attitude in owensboro seems to be that there city is perfect the way things are and why change what's not broken...when the rest of the state has passed them on. A perfect example of this seems to be the executiv inn. At some point in time i'm told that was a mecca of stars and entertainment shoving Owensboro into an econimic boom. However they haven't changed the hotel in years and now it is a dump living off an old memory. I feel like the town lives off of this picture of how owensboro may have been and fails to see that times change and people move away for lack of job variety and more ammenities. I know a lot of the things I mentioned in the previous post are material but I enjoy having access to sports and other things. The people there are wonderful but I feel like i'm in a dying town every time I go to visit. Any way thanks for your posts. I appreciate the advise.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM

276 posts, read 714,881 times
MY GOD! I wish that I had that option--of living on a farm away from the large city. I would be thrilled; however, we are all different! Things will work out. You just watch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or