U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Manchester Township, NJ
397 posts, read 1,065,344 times
Reputation: 196

Advertisements

Hi, first I want to thank all who responded to my previous post regarding obtaining medications in Kentucky. I realize now that finding the right doctor, esp. one who understands RSD, is really the most important thing. I am also open to all kinds of new treatments, etc. Anyway.....

My husband is an LPN. He is a caring, wonderful man who has taken care of the dying as well as the severely developmentally disabled etc. He has a special interest in geriatrics. Here's the story:

Due to my misinformation (all in my own head) about my ability to get my medications in Kentucky, we had turned our attention to another state, which had been our second choice. My hubby went there in May, and had also applied to two nursing contract agencies (that's what he does now) etc. etc. Here's what we found:

To put it plainly, seems like the "natives" do not want to hire anybody from the outside. One job, where they sent him letters saying he was "tentatively hired", then "he was being considered" etc. finally sent him a letter stating they needed a reference letter from a supervisor because they hadn't received any. He had sent them four, and confirmed that the supervisors had sent them in months before. In other words, it seems the hospital lied.

They told him he had to respond in 10 days. He would call, leave messages etc. etc., and nobody would get back to him. In other words, they made sure he couldn't talk to anyone within the deadline. Other excuses from agencies: 1) we only have pediatric cases (a lie); 2) we don't have much work (another lie; both advertise on a daily basis claiming they have TONS of position).

We can tell when we're not wanted. We have spent thousands of dollars and lost almost a whole year thinking we were going to relocate only to run up against this prejudicial wall. We are so hurt and disappointed.

Please be honest: does my hubby have a better chance in Kentucky? I know it's not his personality as everybody who has ever met him likes him a lot. He has been an LPN for over 30 years. He just wants a "regular" job and all we want is a place with some acreage in the country to enjoy our animals and nature.

I have been researching the Danville, Lexington and Louisville areas and he is signed up to receive notices whenever there are job openings. There seems to be quite a few, but we are so discouraged by our recent experiences. We are not green coneheads from the Planet Zargon, just two people looking for a decent job and an affordable place in the country with access to a city for culture, shopping and, of course, medical facilities.

Maybe I should wait until I'm not so upset to write this, as I don't want anyone to be offended. But it seemed that in that "other" state, if you're a tourist then great, leave your money here. But if you want to settle down and you're not from hereabouts, forget it.

Please be honest, we can take anything after what we went through. It is so hard to see my hubby give it his all only to get blind-sided. Best we know now then to go through this again.

BTW, I find a totally different attitude on the Kentucky forum. People seem more friendly, open and welcoming and I'm hoping that things just might be a bit different.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. Please do not be afraid to be blunt. We prefer upfront, honest answers as opposed to those we got elsewhere, where the replies were almost laughable.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
 
149 posts, read 702,617 times
Reputation: 98
Sounds like y'all playin the numbers game - makin long distance phone calls and emailing millions of resumes from hundreds of miles away.

Maybe thats how other states recruit but here it's much more down-home. You walk into places you'd like to work (whether they're advertised openings or not) skip the remote location paper chase and speak direct with those in power can hire you on the spot. Shouldnt take more than few weeks with actual boots on ground.

But first you must git into community at grass roots level. In Ky this means *direct* or even casual involvement understanding needs and wants beyond specific dreams of yer own. Can take several months understanding what places are about. Like instead of seekin yer own ambitions, try and find out what Lexington and Louisville and Danville need.

Meanwhile why in such a hurry to bail on New Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2007, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Kentucky
820 posts, read 2,591,749 times
Reputation: 556
Nursing jobs are plentiful in KY, including the central KY area you speak about. While options are a bit more limited for a LPN than a RN, there are still plenty of available jobs. The central KY area has many skilled nursing facilities that hire LPNs regularly. There's also many hospitals that utilize LPNs. Clinics and MD offices also. I'm not sure I'd make a major move because of a bad job experience though. Nurses are in demand everywhere.... would it not be more feasible for him to look for another job where you are?

Good luck and like I said, if you do decide to move to KY.... find a job shouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Manchester Township, NJ
397 posts, read 1,065,344 times
Reputation: 196
Default Time to Split!

Thanks for the replies.

We need to leave New Jersey. We can no longer afford to live here, and the things we love-open spaces, less congestion, a place to keep animals--are disappearing on almost a daily basis. Most properties that have more then 1/2 acre are going for well over $230,000. If you want anything with land you are looking at close to $400,000, with taxes from $8000 to over $12000. If we stay much longer, the money we have saved will continue to be drained. Our options grow less as time goes by.

We were encouraged to look at Kentucky by the man who has cut our lawn for several years now. He is originally from there and goes back at least twice a year to see relatives. He keeps asking us why we've waited this long to get ourselves out of here. We would have done this a lot sooner but had to stay in NJ as we had a lawsuit going and, as defendants are wont to do, they tried to drag things out as long as possible. We did receive some settlement monies and we have been holding onto these to use towards a home.

My husband did do a lot of legwork and had interviews; in fact, he had spent 4 hours at one agency taking tests etc. When he returned home to NJ, the people who had given him the contact names and tried to help admitted that people there don't like to hire "out of state". If they had been more upfront with us in the beginning we could have saved a lot of time and trouble. In speaking with other job seekers, we found that some had been trying from 6-8 months with no success. That's what made us realize it wasn't just an isolated problem.

My physical condition precludes too much travel on my part, so we have to do so much via internet and phone. Hence I have also turned to this forum. We live in an awful rental at present and don't want to waste any more time or money paying for someone else's property. Plus it is nearly impossible to find any place to rent where we could take our animals with us. NJ is not an animal lover's state, that's for sure!

I know there are no easy answers. We have lived in other states and it is amazing how different one can be from another. The only reason we had returned to NJ after living elsewhere was because of our elderly parents. Although it's hard to generalize, I was surprised to read the posts here where it seemed that folks actually seem welcoming to strangers!

Again, I appreciate your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Reputation: 2129
My brother is a nurse and I doubt seriously your hubby would have any problems finding a job here. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 AM
 
458 posts, read 2,132,339 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
My brother is a nurse and I doubt seriously your hubby would have any problems finding a job here. Good luck!
My husband is an RN and about to become an NP and while we were visiting Lexington to consider relocation he made an appointment at a local hospital to walk in with his resume and talk about job opportunities, and they practically offered him a job on the spot. We were very pleased of course. Hopefully that would be your husband's experience as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 AM
 
276 posts, read 714,738 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Thanks for the replies.

We need to leave New Jersey. We can no longer afford to live here, and the things we love-open spaces, less congestion, a place to keep animals--are disappearing on almost a daily basis. Most properties that have more then 1/2 acre are going for well over $230,000. If you want anything with land you are looking at close to $400,000, with taxes from $8000 to over $12000. If we stay much longer, the money we have saved will continue to be drained. Our options grow less as time goes by.

We were encouraged to look at Kentucky by the man who has cut our lawn for several years now. He is originally from there and goes back at least twice a year to see relatives. He keeps asking us why we've waited this long to get ourselves out of here. We would have done this a lot sooner but had to stay in NJ as we had a lawsuit going and, as defendants are wont to do, they tried to drag things out as long as possible. We did receive some settlement monies and we have been holding onto these to use towards a home.

My husband did do a lot of legwork and had interviews; in fact, he had spent 4 hours at one agency taking tests etc. When he returned home to NJ, the people who had given him the contact names and tried to help admitted that people there don't like to hire "out of state". If they had been more upfront with us in the beginning we could have saved a lot of time and trouble. In speaking with other job seekers, we found that some had been trying from 6-8 months with no success. That's what made us realize it wasn't just an isolated problem.

My physical condition precludes too much travel on my part, so we have to do so much via internet and phone. Hence I have also turned to this forum. We live in an awful rental at present and don't want to waste any more time or money paying for someone else's property. Plus it is nearly impossible to find any place to rent where we could take our animals with us. NJ is not an animal lover's state, that's for sure!

I know there are no easy answers. We have lived in other states and it is amazing how different one can be from another. The only reason we had returned to NJ after living elsewhere was because of our elderly parents. Although it's hard to generalize, I was surprised to read the posts here where it seemed that folks actually seem welcoming to strangers!

Again, I appreciate your replies.

I don't blame you for wanting to leave NJ. It is the most populated state in the union (per square mile). Actually, it is overpopulated. It is the last place that I would want to live. I have two friends in KY who are nurses, and there should be no problem acquiring employment. I understand the need to be in close proximity to elderly parents as I have been caring for an elderly mother in this perpetual swamp commonly referred to as Florida. I am continuing to search for a position in KY in education. You won't have any problem in the nursing field. I wish you good luck, and I completely understand where you are coming from!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 02:52 PM
 
149 posts, read 702,617 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
I am continuing to search for a position in KY in education. You won't have any problem in the nursing field. I wish you good luck, and I completely understand where you are coming from!
Probly 2 of the easiest entry walk-in professions here... education and medicine. None in lesser demand nor better welcomed.

Am reminded of girlfriend offered a teaching position at town of Martin KY while chatting with folks at Rite-Aid pharmacy en route to visit me nearby. She had no Master's Degree, her credentials amounted to teaching ESL in Peace Corps overseas. Last i heard she was teaching High School English, stunned and amazed by knack her students had for picking up on Shakespeare. Spoke with her couple Summers ago and she was working on independent thesis that linked Appalachia accents with Shakespearean English. Said she never wanted to leave.

I think what ye gotta understand about KY job market is straight shooting pro-active approach where job "interviews" occur in parking lots, shops, cafes and diners or anywhere else. Basically just look around, speak with as many people as you can. But ye gotta be there with boots on ground. I think regular advertised positions amount to probly less than 15% of job openings and agencies wont help much either. Bulk of hiring is done by word of mouth. More important is who you are than what your resume says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Manchester Township, NJ
397 posts, read 1,065,344 times
Reputation: 196
Default Informal Interviews

KYcoyote: I like those kind of interviews. I think people relax and are more themselves then in a formal environment. I've met some of the nicest people through the years in places like a library, diner or even supermarket.

Glad to hear that you are looked at as a person and not just what that bunch of papers has to say. There's nothing like a face to face. I've always thought that technology and all that is great, but we have had to sacrifice the human touch that is so very important.

I have shown my hubby these replies and he is encouraged by them.

BTW, I have taken a course on the History of the English Language and I am not surprised about the Shakespeare comment. It all has to do with who settled where. The study of accents provides a fascinating view of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top