U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM

90 posts, read 316,402 times

Advertisements

I have been living here in Victoria, BC for two yrs now. I have realized its time to get back home to Somerset. I'm in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I have also met some great friends here. They tell me that when I talk of my hometown, that my eyes light up. They all say they want to visit me back there once I get home.
Being here, I have learned alot about the ways of many different cultures, the different cooking, and I have traveled around all the beautiful Islands here on Vancouver Island.
My dream, when I was a teen, growing up there, was to travel to far away places. And meeting and marrying my wonderful Canadian husband, and coming here has made my dream come true. He loves Ky. and the accents there, and wants to move there. I'm so anxious to get back and let him see what good southern hospitality is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM

103 posts, read 407,898 times
Well, i guess that would be acceptable! LOL

Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 AM

276 posts, read 715,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique Gal View Post
I have been living here in Victoria, BC for two yrs now. I have realized its time to get back home to Somerset. I'm in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I have also met some great friends here. They tell me that when I talk of my hometown, that my eyes light up. They all say they want to visit me back there once I get home.
Being here, I have learned alot about the ways of many different cultures, the different cooking, and I have traveled around all the beautiful Islands here on Vancouver Island.
My dream, when I was a teen, growing up there, was to travel to far away places. And meeting and marrying my wonderful Canadian husband, and coming here has made my dream come true. He loves Ky. and the accents there, and wants to move there. I'm so anxious to get back and let him see what good southern hospitality is all about.
BC is beautiful. I have visited on several occasions!

Old 11-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
BC is beautiful. I have visited on several occasions!
It certainly is a beautiful place. However, over the past couple years I have been here, the homeless have taken over the downtown area. They sleep in the doorways of businesses and in the parks. The police try to keep them on the move. At the moment, there are additional shelters being built. There are alot of people from other areas of Canada who move here because of the warmer climate. Many of them won`t work and end up on the streets. I sure appreciate my little hometown of Pulaski county, and anxious to return.
What year was you here in Victoria

Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
It certainly is a beautiful place. However, over the past couple years I have been here, the homeless have taken over the downtown area. They sleep in the doorways of businesses and in the parks. The police try to keep them on the move. At the moment, there are additional shelters being built. There are alot of people from other areas of Canada who move here because of the warmer climate. Many of them won`t work and end up on the streets. I sure appreciate my little hometown of Pulaski county, and anxious to return.
What year was you here in Victoria
The last time I was in Vancouver and Victoria was about 7 ys ago. I suppose that it has changed (as you mentioned in your thread), and it has not been for the better. In fact, I was shocked at your description of the area now (although there was a hint of this years ago, but not to that extreme). I lived in Canada for a short time, I have traveled from the maritimes to Alaska. Canada and Canadians are wonderful. I still have a few friends in Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
The last time I was in Vancouver and Victoria was about 7 ys ago. I suppose that it has changed (as you mentioned in your thread), and it has not been for the better. In fact, I was shocked at your description of the area now (although there was a hint of this years ago, but not to that extreme). I lived in Canada for a short time, I have traveled from the maritimes to Alaska. Canada and Canadians are wonderful. I still have a few friends in Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta.
I will always love Victoria and all the beautiful islands here in Vancouver. I truly hope they can do something to prevent so much homeless people on the streets here. I always carry my camera here and already have such beautiful photos here. I do really miss Ky and hope to be back there by Christmas. My husband has so much family and friends here and we will always be back here to visit. I just hope he will fall in love with Ky and all the wonderful people back there, as I have with Victoria.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM

104 posts, read 375,866 times
Default Welcome Back!

Someday the rest of the world will discover Kentucky, the green wide open spaces, abundant natural resources, the lakes, the rivers, the wildlife, the low cost of living, the traffic (or lack thereof), the four distinct seasons, excellent roads going everywhere, yet right in the middle of everything so that you never get that isolated feeling. If you read the forums on all the supposed shang gra la's in Florida, California, New York, etc.. everyone complains about noise, crime, pollution, over crowding, lack of water. panhandlers, and on and on. Let's keep the secret a little longer. Let em keep making their jokes about hillbillys and let them beleive there's no colleges or health care facilities here, that we are just an unsophisticated backwater sort of sad place for the uneducated; a place for the talk show hosts to deride. Sooner or later we are going to be discovered. Too bad.

Last edited by watchmanonthewall; 11-21-2007 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
Someday the rest of the world will discover Kentucky, the green wide open spaces, abundant natural resources, the lakes, the rivers, the wildlife, the low cost of living, the traffic (or lack thereof), the four distinct seasons, excellent roads going everywhere, yet right in the middle of everything so that you never get that isolated feeling. If you read the forums on all the supposed shang gra la's in Florida, California, New York, etc.. everyone complains about noise, crime, pollution, over crowding, lack of water. panhandlers, and on and on. Let's keep the secret a little longer. Let em keep making their jokes about hillbillys and let them beleive there's no colleges or health care facilities here, that we are just an unsophisticated backwater sort of sad place for the uneducated; a place for the talk show hosts to deride. Sooner or later we are going to be discovered. Too bad.
You are so right. Nobody else could have said it better. I was trying to get back for Thanksgiving, but now it looks as if it just may be Christmas. We celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving in October. My in-laws are British and Scotish, so it wasn't a good old Ky Thanksgiving.
Reading your description of Ky, got me incredibly homesick. I am a writer, myself, and have been working on a book about KY. All about how alot of folks think of us. Myself, I'm so proud to be a Kentuckian.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Not so loud! I promise that I will keep the secret!!! God Bless!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
Quote:
. Myself, I'm so proud to be a Kentuckian.
I agree!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky