Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,709,362 times

Advertisements

I may be moving there in the future. My first concern is that it probably floods since it's on the river. How far away from the river do you have to be to be safe ? Any pros and cons about Newport would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 AM

241 posts, read 1,330,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I may be moving there in the future. My first concern is that it probably floods since it's on the river. How far away from the river do you have to be to be safe ? Any pros and cons about Newport would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Don't worry, Newport won't flood. Unlike portions of adjacent Covington and Bellvue, it's surrounded by a high earthen floodwall. Besides, the Ohio River rarely goes over its banks.

Newport is walking distance from downtown Cincinnati. I generally park on that side of the river when I go to see a Reds game. In recent years, the city has built up its riverfront with restaurants and a shopping and entertainment complex called Newport on the Levee. There's even an authentic HofBrauhaus (an actual branch of the original in Munich) in that area.

The west side of the town (near the Licking River, which flows into the Ohio). is pretty rough. Lots of run-down shotgun houses, some housing projects, etc. But the east side--particularly the Mansion Hill area--is really nice, with fantastic old houses and beautiful tree-lined streets.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Good Information...

Thank you very much. You said Bellvue floods. Are there safe areas there and
what is it like. I'm trying to get a feel of that immediate area.
Thank you again.

Last edited by Kerby W-R; 11-16-2007 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 11-16-2007, 01:32 PM

156 posts, read 628,978 times
You definately want to get flood insurance if you own equity in a property down there, even with the flood ditch... people forget because it hasn't happened in a long time, but plenty living on the riverbed (newport is on the riverbed) have lost everything in floods... it only happens like every 30 years though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could just live a little bit up the hill and not worry about it, too - its up to you.

Newport itself is very updated and not a bad area at all anymore - in fact its one of the nicest areas of the city now. Great bars and restaurants. There are parts as you get away from the levy that are more shady, but not a big deal. Tons of great surrounding neighborhoods too, so don't pigeon hole yourself just there if you don't have to (although Newport is great and one of the best to end up in).

Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

241 posts, read 1,330,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Thank you very much. You said Bellvue floods. Are there safe areas there and
what is it like. I'm trying to get a feel of that immediate area.
Thank you again.
Dayton (KY), Newport, and most of Covington (except for a street in the historic district right on the riverfront) are protected by floodwalls. Bellvue has the most risk of flooding in NYK, but it affects a narrow band of homes near the river bank. Elevation increases quickly as you move away from the river, though, so I would say that if you live more than a block or two away, you’re unlikely to be affected by a flood.

The area saw it’s worst flood in generations back in 1997. Here’s what it looked like:

The mouth of the Licking river is on the right side of the photo near the top. Newport lies above the mouth.

The same weather system that caused this flood also caused the Licking River to flood. The town I now live near was nearly submerged by it.

If you want to learn more about the floods of 1997, the Cincinnati Enquirer has a site about it here:

Flood of 1997 - The Cincinnati Enquirer

Old 11-16-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Stay on high ground...

I am guessing by this information and common sense that I should stay
on high ground. Find a hilly area away from the Ohio or Licking rivers.
I have several musical instruments that I can't afford to lose and some that
are too large to attempt moving to a higher floor in a short period of time.
So Newport, Bellvue or Dayton away from the rivers should be OK.
My paranoia about this seems justified. I definitely do not want to risk being
in a flood that could happen at anytime.

Maybe I should start a new thread with this one. I've always lived in older historical
homes and I've heard the nicer ones are in that area. Any other locations that are
not rural on the Ky side of the river that fit this bill please let me know.

Last edited by Kerby W-R; 11-16-2007 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar

Old 12-01-2007, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 16,855 times
You really don't have to be very far away from the river. Cincinnati only has a minor flood wall an dthe last real flood happened before there were concrete dams and lakes built on the tributaries. Hilly areas are not necessary- check this for data.

Newport Flood Heights Photo

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Wilmington: Ohio River at Cincinnati

There is virtually no chance of a flood like the 80 foot 1937 flood. In addition, if there was Newport, Covington and Dayton now have an 85 foot floodwall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky