Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM

104 posts, read 417,263 times

Advertisements

Kentucky is a great state. It is full of wonderful friendly people from border to border. It has 4 distinct seasons, lovely cool falls, cold and sometimes very snowy winters, heavenly springs and hot humid summers. The big cities are like big cities everywhere else. Louisville and Metro Cincy' are very big (over 1 million). Lexington is big (around 400k). Paducah, Owensboro, Bowling Green, and Ashland are medium (60-100k). Ashland is in a 300k metro area. Hopkinsville and Henderson are both parts of larger metro areas but neither is the core city (both in the 200-300k range). There are some shangri la retirement towns here. Murray, Cadiz, Danville, Berea, are awsome, progressive, and friendly. But....most of Kentucky is very, very clanish. Local politics subscribes a pecking order and outsiders aren't generaly welcome. These small towns are suspicous of strangers. They don't like yankees. Blacks and whites tend to segregate themselves and there is a lot of racism on both sides. Neither blacks nor whites like the Mexicans and gays and lesbians would, in a word, be miserable. Everything from banking to local justice is centered around families that for the most part have been around for generations. They don't want growth becuase they don't want to lose control. Things are changing slowly but those of you who read the retirement magazines and find a small quaint town to build your dream retirement home in need to be very careful about smaller Kentucky cities. This is especially true in the mountains of of the east. Kentucky is a place were you can be born in one county and move to the next county over and 40 years later the peolple will say," he's not from around here". After reading a lot of your posts I would just caution you to be very careful about these smaller cities. Remeber there are 120 seperate county governments is this small state. That ought to tell you something. I just want you to realize this isn't the same as the suburbs of Atlanta or the California wine country. Don't confuse the Appalachians with the Smokies of the Carolinas or East Tennessee. You won't find any progressives in Pikeville or Hazard, and the tobacco farmers and coal miners aren't impressed by attorneys and rainbow flags.

Last edited by watchmanonthewall; 10-16-2006 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
The big cities are like big cities everywhere else. Louisville and Metro Cincy' are very big (over 1 million). Lexington is big (around 400k).

where are you getting these numbers from? Lexington has nowhere near a population of 400K ....

Old 10-18-2006, 12:30 PM

142 posts, read 731,508 times
Arrow Can apply to anywhereville USA...

Greetings,

What you describe isn't endemic to Kentucky. It can be applied in one way or another to just about every state in the union, especially in small rural communities. Some states are far worse than others but please get the notion out of your mind that this is exclusively a "Kentuckian" phenomenon.

BTW Toria:

The MSA of Lexington, KY has population of 429,889 according to the US Census Bureau's data as of July 2005.

Cheers

Old 10-20-2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post

BTW Toria:

The MSA of Lexington, KY has population of 429,889 according to the US Census Bureau's data as of July 2005.

Cheers

at www.census.gov, the 2005 population for Lexington-Fayette is listed at 268,080....Lousiville is listed at 556,429.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,360 times
Cool I cant agree.

I am a "yankee" from NY and my family and I are planning on relocating to KY in the next couple years.
My brother-in-law moved to central KY a few years ago and married a local girl. We have been down to visit them a few times and after talking to my native sister-in-law and meeting the people of KY myself I can't really agree with this post at all. At least as far as central and western KY go.
We have found the people of central Ky the friendliest we have ever met. I can't tell you how many times I was waved to and said hello to by complete strangers in the street, or had long conversations with folks that I simply said hello to while out at a store or around town. Something that would never happen in the north east!
My yankee brother-in-law loves the state and wouldn't live anywhere else.
My sister-in-law did say that in the eastern part of the state getting over toward the Appalachians it can be different. She discribed it this way,"If your car breaks down in central KY the local people will push your car to the closest garage and have you over to dinner while it is being fixed, but if it happens in eastern KY they won't even stop if you try to flag somone over for help driving by."
I have not visited eastern KY myself so I can't say from personal experience what it is like. But I think it is a shame someone that sounds like they are a native Kentuckian is giving your home such a bad rap.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:56 PM

43 posts, read 207,441 times
I don't know...sounds like my experience to a T, and I'm supposeldy living in one of the "progressive" areas.

MSA = "how far can we pull from and make our numbers look imporessive". Not too long ago, Boyle County tried to claim they have a "MSA" of over 275,000. You and I both know how big the circle would have to be to bring that number into Boyle stats.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 PM

142 posts, read 731,508 times
Arrow Almost right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
at www.census.gov, the 2005 population for Lexington-Fayette is listed at 268,080....Lousiville is listed at 556,429.
Do you know what a MSA is?

Correct the city proper of Lexington, KY contains a populace of 268,080 people.

The Metropolitan Satatistical Area which includes Lexington, KY and surrounding areas (cities and burbs) has a populace of 429,889.

Cheers!

Old 10-21-2006, 06:04 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
I have lived in southeastern Kentucky (Cumberland, Benham and Lynch) and i have to say the population there is somewhat "institutionalized".

Out of all the places that i have lived in the U.S., southeastern Kentucky still remains to be my favorite. I will make it back down there again!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
Do you know what a MSA is?

Correct the city proper of Lexington, KY contains a populace of 268,080 people.

The Metropolitan Satatistical Area which includes Lexington, KY and surrounding areas (cities and burbs) has a populace of 429,889.

Cheers!

OF COURSE I know what an MSA is, Informer....however, if someone asks what the population of a village/town/city is, I don't think most people offer up regional figures.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombew View Post
My sister-in-law did say that in the eastern part of the state getting over toward the Appalachians it can be different. She discribed it this way,"If your car breaks down in central KY the local people will push your car to the closest garage and have you over to dinner while it is being fixed, but if it happens in eastern KY they won't even stop if you try to flag somone over for help driving by."
Not true. I come to find eastern (south-eastern that is) Kentucky one of the more friendlier areas in the country.

Too many people got "Deliverance" on their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky