U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 AM

7,362 posts, read 5,225,200 times

Advertisements

Let's have a thread to talk about the fall colors in Kentucky. Where are you? How are the colors shaping up in your part of the state?

We live in Danville, and I'd say we're just starting to get some good tones here. I think the dry spell we had this summer took some of the life out of the leaves, because a lot of them are going straight to brown and falling right off the trees. I'm not sure how much good color we're even going to get in this part of the state. I went hiking yesterday at the Central Kentucky Wildlife Refuge, and the colors were at about 10%, mostly reds, but somewhat on the dull side. We're planning to take a drive today to Natural Bridge State Park, where the telephone-answering man says they're at about 15%.

What are y'all seeing in your part of the state?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM

11,146 posts, read 9,381,696 times
A few maples are turning gold down in the Palisades, with dogwoods and poison ivy already red. Spicebush berries are bright red, with foliage starting to turn lemon yellow. Sassafras is still green, not yet orange, and sumacs are just starting to turn. Sycamores are dropping their leaves along the river and tributary creek banks. There appears to be a bumper crop of black walnuts this year - watch out for squirrels and other critters stocking their larders from the roads.

The steep slopes of the Kentucky River Palisades are still predominantly green - give it another week, and change should be evident.

In the Knobs, there's much more color, especially near the tops of the Knobs. I drove over Catholic Knob a couple of days ago, and just going up 100 feet or so made a real difference. Lots of red-leaved vines - Boston ivy? - along limestone roadcuts en route.

White and blue asters and late goldenrods are in bloom in both areas.

The Inner Bluegrass is not noted for brilliant fall color, and it appears that only dogwoods are at their fall peak in the Lexington area. Ginkgos are presently chartreuse, about to turn bright yellow - everything else is still green (including the grass - nice change from past dry years).

Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 PM

175 posts, read 204,297 times
We are coming from Utah in a couple weeks. We are looking at some properties for sale in Mccreary county. Will the leaves still be in color? We'll be there on Nov 11. Here in Utah the leaves are all but gone. There are a few yellow aspens in the mountains but they will be gone soon. We have a storm coming in. Our leaves were really dulled down this year. Not very brilliant. Must have been the hot dry summer we had.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 AM

Hard to say. It's been quite chilly this past week, but is due to warm up. Most leaves here in Central Kentucky are still green and still on the trees, with some color here and there (dogwoods and a few maples) - this is unusually late, as in previous years, fall color is mostly gone by Hallowe'en week. The oaks do hold their leaves longer than most native trees, and turn a dark red, so you may see some of those.

McCreary County is mountainous, and has a wider variety of trees than Central Kentucky, so does have more diverse fall color. Much depends on whether or not we get wind and rain between now and your upcoming visit, but I wouldn't count on seeing much fall color. However, there are native pines, hemlocks, rhododendrons, mountain laurel, and other evergreen trees and shrubs in Eastern Kentucky, so more color remains in the landscape there than elsewhere in our state.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy your upcoming visit.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 PM

We are so excited to see the area. We were wondering if there are good hotels in that area that would be fun to stay at. Something that would give us the appy splendor! We will be visiting Mccreary, clay and knox counties.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM

928 posts, read 1,389,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
We are so excited to see the area. We were wondering if there are good hotels in that area that would be fun to stay at. Something that would give us the appy splendor! We will be visiting Mccreary, clay and knox counties.

McCreary, Clay and Knox counties...I detect a pattern. These three Counties are separated by other Counties. Will these be the only Counties you will be visiting? I can recommend the State resort Parks in Bell (Pine Mountain State Resort Park)and Whitley (Cumberland Falls State Resort Park) Counties. Whitley joins both McCreary and Knox Counties. Bell County is the next County South on US25E from Knox County. Clay is kinda North East of Knox, Hwy. 11 north will take you to Clay County from Knox.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Welcome and have fun

Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Nope! Not confusing at all. We do plan on going to Cumberland falls. You did detect a pattern. We really like that southern area there and those counties are the only ones that has land that interests us That we know about. We are hoping to find more once we get there and driving around the area. Once again, we are so excited to visit!!!

Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 AM

7,362 posts, read 5,225,200 times
Well, we drove to Nashville last Friday for a Steve Earle/John Prine show at the Ryman, and the colors all the way through South Central Kentucky were mediocre at best. Many trees were already bare, and of those that still had leaves, most were still green. There were some colors, but not many, and most were pale and subdued.

Driving back on Sunday was a whole different story. The colors were much bolder, brighter, and more plentiful on many stretches of I-65 and the Cumberland Parkway. Still not exactly postcard or calendar-cover shots, but significantly better in just 48 hours. So I have the feeling that they're going to go pretty quickly now that they're finally gotten underway.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
See if you can get a room or a cabin at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park - the lodge dates back to WPA days, while the cabins are more recent. Both are rustic in style, but extremely comfortable, and the park itself is beautiful.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 AM

928 posts, read 1,389,732 times
Cumberland Falls is a Great park but, if I had a choice I would pick Pine Mountain, a beautiful drive up the mountain a great Restaurant, along with some of the most beautiful views right from your room. For this time of the year it's the only place to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky