U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 PM

618 posts, read 1,488,480 times

Advertisements

Well, for some reason I can only find teaching jobs available in the western part of the state...anyone know about the eastern, southern part of the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

835 posts, read 2,612,808 times
again london is the best area in southeastern ky!!! also as for your sinkhole question kentucky is located on a area with what is called Karst catagrophy, lots of under ground caves and sinkholes, heck my street is located 30 feet over a MASSIVE underground waterway that is the size of a small river, water table and such goes from 10 ft in some areas to a few feet in others, ky is a very geographically unique area, lots of caves to be discovered! and jsut for your info most if not all sinkholes are openings in the ceiling of a cave or a weak spot in the main artery of the cave.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,248 times
Fulton City in Fulton County needs good teachers! They have an awesome school district here. Student to teacher ratio is around 20/1 so your student receives more individual attention! Housing is very reasonable. Shopping is not to bad if you don't mind a 12 mile drive to the bigger city with more options- we do have a 24 hr Walmart right here in town and several smaller stores right here in town. Fulton is totally awesome when it comes to the lack of crime! I'm not joking when I say that you can park your bicycle on the front lawn and leave it there for a week, come back and it's still where you left it! Some of the larger employers are GoodYear Tire Plant and Koler, CDK is also local. I live in town and I can pretty much walk to everything I need, the dollar store, laundrymat, several restaurants- McDonalds, Subway, Pizza Hut, Wendy's etc., many local churches are just down the road. If your considering Fulton you will want to check out the south west side of town where the elementry school, middle and high schools are located. 2nd, Green, 3rd, West, Carr, North College are the best streets. If you love historical homes - this is the place to be! Summer is when they hold the festivals, an exciting fireworks display and flee markets. The local park, with it's community center and pavilion are a very nice place to play with children and have a family picnic beside the water fountain.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:34 PM

486 posts, read 1,707,299 times
If you're looking into SE Kentucky, then London/ Corbin is your best bet. Both towns are around 25,000 each I believe. The downside about London/ Corbin is that they're a bit isolated (about 1- 1:30 from Lexington and Knoxville both), but they're about as nice as you'll find in southern Kentucky. Another plus is you're right on I-75. A good friend of mine lives in London and every September I go down to the Chicken Festival (celebrates the first KFC in Corbin). London/ Corbin is in the mountains and all of E KY is very rugged and mountainous. You do get more of a "redneck" reputation the further south and east in KY you go. I love London/ Corbin and if you're looking for a town around that size, I think you should look deeper into that area.

Another small town you might look at is Danville, about 40 minutes south of Lexington. It's home to Centre College and the school system there is quite good. Danville is around 30,000 people I think.

I feel that I have to mention my hometown of Lexington here. It's a metro of almost 500,000 people, generally a few degrees cooler than the rest of the state. Schools are the best in the state and UK has a strong prevalence here. Though it does lie in the shadow of Louisville and Cincinnati, Lexington retains more of a small town feel, but on a large scale. Winters are cold, but nothing compared to northern Indiana (my paternal family lives in the metro Indianapolis area). We tend to get more freezing rain than snow. 5 years ago I think, we had a massive ice storm that basically put the entire city on pause for about a week. Potholes are nothing like in Indiana, so you need not worry about that.

To address your concern about humidity, Kentucky is humid anywhere you go! It's not as bad as the south, but we have numerous days during the summer with 90% humidity and temperatures looming around 95- 100 F.

Personally I think elementary school teachers are needed just about everywhere. Check out Fayette County (Lexington), Jefferson County (Louisville), Kenton County (suburbs of Cincinnati), Boyle County (Danville), Laurel County (London), and Whitley County (Corbin).

As with any city, you're going to find crime anywhere. Crime is a bit higher in Louisville, London/ Corbin and SE KY than in the bluegrass around Lexington. Overall these are great towns. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
Hello
For the past year or so, my family and I have been preparing to move to a new state. We currently live in northern Indiana and cannot stand living in this horrible location any longer.

I was hoping someone might recommend a town, or at least a general area of Kentucky that might suit our needs and wants. Some things we are looking for include:
-low crime
-not too much snow
-no really severe weather (F3-F5 tornado, huge snowstorms)
-near a college & elementary school
-no flooding
-possibly a nice small town near a big town
-shopping centers

I know this is a lot to ask for, but we were wondering if there is any area in Kentucky that meets all/most/some of these things.

Any feedback as to nice places to live in KY or even places to stay away from is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Have you considered Danville KY! Well I happen to know it very well and certainly would love to share it with you. We have Centre College, plus a off site campus from EKU, and many other upper level education opportunities. Our schools are great: city, county, private and more. Tons of history to enjoy. Low crime rate and very little bad weather. Yeah we can have tornado warnings and even a couple inches of snow in the winter. But the famous saying around here is "if you do not like the weather....stick around it is going to change." Our weather is great if you like 4 seasons and beautiful terrain central Kentucky is awesome. Check out danvillekyrealty.com for a few listings that may give you an idea of the real estate market here. You will find me there too!
Thanks and good luck! Hope you get here soon!
Tracy Wilson

Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 PM

7,402 posts, read 12,937,864 times
Don't know if you're still checking out Kentucky but check out this sight.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kentucky2.html It will give you just about all the information you would want on any city or town in Kentucky.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM

19 posts, read 55,387 times
Default help u move to Ky

Well the place would be Frenchburg, close to school and college, also close to a larger town, low crime rate just about everything you mentioned this is the place. Frenchburg is a warm friendly down to earth place. Are you looking to buy or rent or build. I also know where there is a wonderful place for sale with great neighbors, like a college professor, social worker, county judge. I thought I would just let you know there is 50 acres of land for sale and it is beauitful and a safe place which means alot this day and time.
Well what ever you decide I hope you find what you want. Bless you and take care.
Jan

Old 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times
Default Moving here

Quote:
Hello
For the past year or so, my family and I have been preparing to move to a new state. We currently live in northern Indiana and cannot stand living in this horrible location any longer.

I was hoping someone might recommend a town, or at least a general area of Kentucky that might suit our needs and wants. Some things we are looking for include:
-low crime
Kentucky is hard to beat for low crime in the eastern U.S. Our higher crime areas include Louisville's west end, Lexington's north end, and sketchy parts of Covington and Newport, and they don't even begin to compare to the truly dangerous areas of our country.

-not too much snow
To this Kentuckian, there already is too much snow as it is. I say, since don't want too much snow (which I guess is a relative snow,) I'd go to south Texas or Biloxi or someplace like that. Just know there will be much less snow anywhere in this state than in northern Indiana. Extreme northern Ky. averages 6-8" or so every winter; the west-east central slither, about 4-5"; the southern area along the Tennessee border, only 2-4".

-no really severe weather (F3-F5 tornado, huge snowstorms)
We don't get severe tornadoes nearly as often as the "Tornado Alley" states, but they are gradually becoming more frequent in west Kentucky. (Maybe we're just going through a phase right now.) Huge snowstorms don't happen very often, either; enough to make you appreciate snow and not get tired of it. Snows of 12" or larger or substantial ice storms in Kentucky occur about once every 4-10 years.

-near a college & elementary school
Plenty of places in this state where you can live close to both. All college towns will have elementary schools, and some of these elementary schools are actually quite good (probably the best schools in the Kentucky system, our middle and high schools are lackluster to put it nicely.)

May I suggest, for smaller rural-most towns, Murray, Owensboro, Grayson, Bowling Green, Campbellsville, or Columbia? For smaller towns one hour or less from Lexington, how about Danville, Richmond, Berea, Georgetown, or Morehead? For metropolitan areas, Louisville, extreme northern Kentucky, or Lexington? (Those are just from my memory.)

-no flooding
Hah! Good luck! Be very careful to not find something in a "holler," flood plain, or where the yard backs up to a potential flood/overflow area. You have to be pretty picky in this state, but its possible to find good, solid land with nice houses on higher ground.

-possibly a nice small town near a big town
Okay, let's go back to the above list (being close to elem. schools/colleges). For small towns, the only ones NOT closest to bigger towns are Murray, Campbellsville, Grayson, and Columbia. The rest are fine. Also, BG and OWB have over 50,000 residents in addition to being close to Nashville and Evansville, respectively.

Northern Kentucky is directly across the river from Cincinnati, which has a plethora of cultural activities and beautiful parks and is, in my opinion, the best of the midwest. Louisville and Lexington are our largest cities but have smaller town feels, so except in rush hour traffic, you won't feel too overwhelmed or crammed.

-shopping centers
The only shopping centers in Kentucky worth a dime are in Louisville, Lexington, and northern Kentucky. That's it.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but we were wondering if there is any area in Kentucky that meets all/most/some of these things.

Any feedback as to nice places to live in KY or even places to stay away from is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
We have enough people moving here who think it is and they seem quite satisfied. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,042 times
Hello, you may want to look into Breathitt Co, Lee Co, or Perry Co. These are really small towns, and really accepting to newcomers. There's plenty of shopping in Lexington which is about a 1.5 hours away, but the drive isn't too bad. I do it all the time, and it's just a good day out.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM

31 posts, read 81,552 times
Quote:
Oh, and when I said low crime, I was hoping for crime lower than the U.S. average, listed on the detailed profiles.

Also, I hope for the lowest humidity possible in KY
Bowling Green comes to mind...I live there currently since I am a Western Kentucky University student. Nice city that is growing steadily and has nice plans for it's future.

It's about an hour from Nashville, which is a nice place to have fun, and has an international airport that can get you all over the country.

Of course humidity is high no matter where you go in kentucky.

Weather is a strange thing in Bowling Green...It seems to curve around the area oddly enough when it becomes severe. Most bad weather hits to the north and south. We really don't get a large amount of snow here either, but it does happen a few times each winter, usually nothing more than an inch or two.

Mammoth Cave park is not far at all and offers huge amounts of trails and camp sites and access to the largest cave system in the world. There are also many other large beautiful parks in the area.

Bowling Green has lots of retail shops and a nice mall. The old part of town is receiving a lot of attention, many of the old homes are being renovated or torn down in an effort to really bring people into the downtown area. Circus Park is the biggest project going on down there now, soon there will be a new minor league baseball stadium, small shops, and condominiums going in with an emphasis on pedestrian traffic. The town also has a new bike path going up all around town as well as sidewalk renovation project.

Western Kentucky University is growing rapidly, and is a great college in my opinion. The campus is beautiful and constantly evolving. The amount of public speakers and cultural events this university brings into the city is very nice.

Bowling Green is still a small town however, and it's easy to find rural country just outside the city if you're interested in land.

Over all...I think you should take a look.

Last edited by KB-Architect; 03-09-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky