U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 AM

12 posts, read 40,974 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering which area people liked more.. The criteria I would be looking for is...
-cultural diversity
-lots of locally owned shops/resturants (organic shopping)
-entertainment options (parks, nightlife, things to do)
-safe "older" neighborhoods

I would be looking for a very relaxed but "nice" area where you can walk to the local bookstore or coffee shop..

So which is better Lexington or Lousiville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 05:56 AM

180 posts, read 539,143 times
Well, in your criteria they are about the same. Lexington has areas like Gratz Park and around Transylvania University that are old and established neighborhoods with good value and decent wealth. Both have Universities so diversity and organics shouldn't be an issue.

Louisville has the Highlands area with it's eclectic vibes and old neighborhoods.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 AM

528 posts, read 2,233,609 times
you will find all of that in both cities, but Louisville (being much larger) will have more of each category.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM

156 posts, read 569,856 times
Cultural diversity is much much greater in Louisville than Lex... FYI

Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 PM

688 posts, read 2,774,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
you will find all of that in both cities, but Louisville (being much larger) will have more of each category.
Ditto that.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM

6,563 posts, read 13,780,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeesKnees View Post
I was just wondering which area people liked more.. The criteria I would be looking for is...
-cultural diversity
-lots of locally owned shops/resturants (organic shopping)
-entertainment options (parks, nightlife, things to do)
-safe "older" neighborhoods

I would be looking for a very relaxed but "nice" area where you can walk to the local bookstore or coffee shop..

So which is better Lexington or Lousiville?
louisville has about 5 times more of every thing you mentioned than Lexington. It also feels like a much larger city...because it is. Lexington has a little bit of an eclectic vibe around UK, but nothing like the Highlands of Louisville nor will Lexington have diverse historic areas like Old Louisville. Lexington is really nice downtown and all around UK, however. It just depends on how large of a city you want.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:51 PM

104 posts, read 376,092 times
I vote for Louisville. I like Lexington but Louisville is a million + metro and if I go to a city I want to get all the city amenities. Louisville has much more of the big city vibe.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,453,914 times
Hi,

I don't want to vote here because I like both cities, but what you may not see from afar is that Louisville is a very large city - something like the 14th or 16th largest in the U.S. according to the announcement in the Louisville airport.

So ... when commenting on Louisville, I am thinking to myself "ah, I can see that in the Highlands ...", etc. In Louisville, I enjoy being in specific neighborhoods, and then once I exit I'm on these big roads in a big city and my blood pressure starts to rise ... and then I'm back in a lovely sedate established neighborhood.

Lexington is not tiny by any means. It's just a lot smaller than Louisville and you never quite feel like you're in a "big city".

So, if you were to visit and compare, the size issue might become more relevant in your mind.

I hope I didn't sound "pro-Lexington" because I really am neutral and like both, just trying to bring out some differences that weren't evident to me from a distance ...

Old 11-21-2007, 04:17 PM

104 posts, read 376,092 times
Bardstown road on Friday night in the summer, some alfresco dining on the sidewalk, people watching, now thats what big city life is all about.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:35 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,970,287 times
My family and I all went to kasmir to eat and walked up and down Bardstown road. Even my kids enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky