Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,795 times

Advertisements

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/from-...charles-sexton

It just keeps coming....aren't you all excited? I am!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Public Broadband Project Hits Snags - LEX18.com | Continuous News and StormTracker Weather

Any thoughts...?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:08 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Rural gig internet is kind of a chicken and egg deal.

If you build out the internet infrastructure, the hope is that businesses locate there and create jobs, and the place gets some traction.

But prospective employers also need a trained (or, at least, trainable) workforce. You're going to be hard pressed to find tech type employees being willing to relocate to some town out in the sticks.

I worked over in Lebanon, VA. It isn't too far from the KY line - similar attitudes and culture. Two federal contractors set up satellite offices in that town about ten years ago. No gig internet, but the operations are hanging on by a thread. They cannot find qualified workers willing to stay in the area.

If they were building this in Lexington, I'd say keep plowing forward. Some tiny town in the middle of nowhere probably isn't worth the expense.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:59 AM

SOAR |

It's soar...not sore...

Old 10-07-2017, 04:06 PM

https://youtu.be/jKU8D3wt_XA

What's next...for Eastern Kentucky?

Try to watch it all the way through, it won't hurt too bad.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I just love where Bevin says people "from somewhere else" when he is from NH. He is not a Southerner or an Appalachian. Skilled, available workforces in places like Harlan? Pikeville? Middlesborough? Big boy says the workforce is available - well, of course it is, jobs are scarce, and ideally, if your retrain those people, they'll stick around and be good workers.

Hal Rogers sounded like the only politician from the area. The rest sound like a bunch of Yankees with little clue how eastern KY and central Appalachia work. Just a bunch of politicians getting together, tooting their own horns, and pandering for votes, if you ask me.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I just love where Bevin says people "from somewhere else" when he is from NH. He is not a Southerner or an Appalachian. Skilled, available workforces in places like Harlan? Pikeville? Middlesborough? Big boy says the workforce is available - well, of course it is, jobs are scarce, and ideally, if your retrain those people, they'll stick around and be good workers.

Hal Rogers sounded like the only politician from the area. The rest sound like a bunch of Yankees with little clue how eastern KY and central Appalachia work. Just a bunch of politicians getting together, tooting their own horns, and pandering for votes, if you ask me.
Uh....for future reference, if you're going to knock the people of Middlesboro you should at least know how to spell the name of their town. But, that's just me. Don't fret though, it's not the first time it's ever happened it just confirms my thoughts though. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:36 PM

6,336 posts, read 11,083,649 times
I think KY is fortunate to have some politicians that are trying to bring jobs to the state. I had to leave my home state of Connecticut because the politicians are running it into the ground. Not only are they driving businesses out of the state, residents are following suit and moving to states that have work and are more open to new business. At one time CT was a very attractive place to do business and lured away major companies from other states and also gained businesses from international companies in other countries. Perhaps in time KY will become a place that will attract some major investments from big domestic and international business concerns.

BTW. Not all of us Yankee transplant are something awful. LOL

Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 AM

EPA's Pruitt pledges to pull from clean power plan while in Hazard

https://kychamberbottomline.com/2017...luminum-plant/

Just a little info...

Old 10-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Group Buys Pine Mountain Land; Purchase Is Seen As Boost To Trai - LEX18.com | Continuous News and StormTracker Weather

Have any of you all ever been to the Blanton Forest in Harlan County? Believe it or not, I've never been there. It's one of the last old growth boundary's of timber in the world. I got to put that on my bucket list.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky