Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,857,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Then why are places like Texas, Nashville, Raleigh, and other decent areas that vote the same way as eastern KY "eating your economic lunch?" Why are you basing progress on "illegal aliens?" Again, another stupid racial remark without any merit.

I'd rather have a family of hardworking illegals around than a bunch of pillbillies. The pillbilly won't take it meekly - he'll just go off in violence on people. I guess you're proud of being from an area where about every piece of evidence will say the area is at the bottom of nearly everything in the country? More power to you, I guess. As for the rest of us, we'll just live in normal areas and ignore places like eastern KY.
So...are you suggesting that Kingsport Tennessee is a more normal/decent area to live?

Be careful what you ask for. You might just get it.

Some things you just can't hide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:23 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,647,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Then why are places like Texas, Nashville, Raleigh, and other decent areas that vote the same way as eastern KY "eating your economic lunch?" Why are you basing progress on "illegal aliens?" Again, another stupid racial remark without any merit.

I'd rather have a family of hardworking illegals around than a bunch of pillbillies. The pillbilly won't take it meekly - he'll just go off in violence on people. I guess you're proud of being from an area where about every piece of evidence will say the area is at the bottom of nearly everything in the country? More power to you, I guess. As for the rest of us, we'll just live in normal areas and ignore places like eastern KY.
No, I absolutely despise Texas and plan to move to Colorado as soon as the wife retires. I lived 17 years in Kentucky. Got my degree from Campbellsville College (now University), and traveled eastern Kentucky for years as an insurance underwriter/sales rep. I'd much rather live in Eastern Kentucky than Texas.

But economically Texas does quite well as a state---because we have plenty of illegals who are paid under the table to thwart hourly wage laws. Our great governor doesn't give a rat's azz about health insurance or the poor community, but he knows how to say "buenos tardes" to keep the Hispanic legal vote flowing.

Pillbillies in Kentucky are just like the poor everywhere---they are looking to make a few bucks for themselves and even their families. Colorado---full of meth houses. Idaho--the same. California--who needs to question that. Alabama and Mississippi--full of poor folks who can't make a decent living and resort to making an illegal living from drugs.

Businesses in general LIKE illegal aliens--if they didn't the Republicans would have done something about it during the Bush years--they didn't even come close. It's always helpful to say they WANT to do something about it, but blame the "bad" Democrats from keeping them from doing it.

I personally am in favor of giving all the illegals an easy pathway to citizenship to prevent corporations from ripping them off by under the table payments. They would then have no power over the former illegals and would have to pay them at least the minimum wage.

So don't go accusing me of being racist about illegals who should be made legal. You're as blind as a bat, and with no radar to boot.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,775,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Here is a little more reading on the subject for those who haven't had time to see what this is all about. The Herald-Leader is a little better at explaining than I am.

What ye think?

SOAR summit set to address Eastern Kentucky's problems against backdrop of past failures | State | Kentucky.com

At summit, Eastern Kentucky leaders look to Minnesota for ideas to renew economy | Politics and Government | Kentucky.com
It's in such a beginning stage that it's hard to say. Some ideas seem helpful, such a short-term injection to the economy with public works projects, as they don't have much time with more job losses when the power plants cease operation in 2018.

Traditional approaches, such as financial incentives for large businesses to locate in EKY and technical training programs for the local population seem best, at least to me. Hope you'll update as plans develop.

Last edited by capcat; 12-15-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
It's in such a beginning stage that it's hard to say. Some ideas seem helpful, such a short-term injection to the economy with public works projects, as they don't have much time with more job losses when the power plants cease operation in 2018.

Traditional approaches, such as financial incentives for large businesses to locate in EKY and technical training programs for the local population seem best, at least to me. Hope you'll update as plans develop.
Yes it is early but, ye got to start somewhere. Short term projects like roads, bridges, water, and sewer projects are needed in the whole scheme of things and will inject some startup money for maybe basic training for jobs that most any industrial/manufacturing company needs. But, before any company even considers coming to an area, they first must have capable people to work. In most cases, factory's need electricians, plumbers, welders, and these jobs don't pay too bad. Vocational training is a great way to accomplish this kinds of training...believe me I know. I read just a few days ago, down in Laurel County, they are building a new Vocational School and that's great, I just hope they do their home work and offer training in fields that companies are looking for. I don't see any reason why any automotive company, like the one down in Laurel County or Madison County wouldn't go on farther East if they had good and enough people to work. All of these people coming out of the mines aren't afraid of work, or get their hands dirty, they just need to retool so to speak. I also heard that Toyota and another company was in Hazard a few days ago holding a job fair. I hope they hire some of these people even if they have to move to Georgetown and maybe they can move back home in the future with some experience.

All of Eastern Kentucky needs to be looking in the same direction. I would say going as far as to bring together a group of people from Counties in Eastern Kentucky (not necessarily politicians) to recruit some of these companies and just ask, what would it take to get you to move here? From what I have heard tax incentives wouldn't be a problem. That is, if it don't interfere with the new basketball court up in Lexington....yep, still a sore spot and I don't even want to talk about the other one that the State will end up paying for twice...oh well, that's another subject.

Just some thoughts for now...I'll try to keep you all informed as things develop.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:14 PM

^ Agree about the merits of vocational training. The service industry is my family's bread and butter. And, the service sector is where workers are needed. In fact, I had a college professor who told the class that if you want to make money, be a plumber.

It would be good if area high schools could be utilized as satellite community colleges for night and weekend classes, and offer courses or full associate degrees in welding, electrical, HVAC, Refrigeration, or any of the valuable service jobs. It's a good living, and there would be jobs available most anywhere you go, but hopefully that would be Eastern Kentucky.

Last edited by capcat; 12-15-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
^ Agree about the merits of vocational training. The service industry is my family's bread and butter. And, the service sector is where workers are needed. In fact, I had a college professor who told the class that if you want to make money, be a plumber.

It would be good if area high schools could be utilized as satellite community colleges for night and weekend classes, and offer courses or full associate degrees in welding, electrical, HVAC, Refrigeration, or any of the valuable service jobs. It's a good living, and there would be jobs available most anywhere you go, but hopefully that would be Eastern Kentucky.
Many...many...counties in Eastern Kentucky have extensions of either The University of Kentucky or Eastern Kentucky University along with several community colleges and many of these offer nursing, and other degrees but, I don't think any of them offer degrees in fields that I have mentioned. We have many counties with Vocational schools connected to High Schools that offer welding, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and some others but, I don't think they are utilized as they should be. Or, maybe getting ye hands dirty ain't cool these days but, I wouldn't be where I am today without Vocational training. I retired several years ago with smart planning and I ain't hardly 60 yet. (No, I'm not on disability either). Laurel County may utilizing Vocational training more because as I said before, they are building a new or additional one. I don't know if they are going to use the old one for something else of have two vocational Schools.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:43 PM

^ I believe educational thinking is changing about career paths. I hope so. This country can't function without the service industries. So much goes into it, not only specific skills, but communication, math, science and critical thinking. Plus, management, knowledge of basic accounting and staying on top of tax and employment laws if you're in business for yourself. It's the real deal.

There will always be work, and it's no secret that the work is billed out for quite a bit per hour. Our plumber retired about 15 years ago, to Belize, and he was probably 45 at the time. Someone needs to get the word out. These miners already know, though.

Last edited by capcat; 12-15-2013 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Well...kinda related and kinda not but this is a step in the correct direction never the less, good for Floyd County!! Clay County got rid of the political riffraff a few years ago and they have been looking up ever since.

A good lesson learned for anyone anywhere, "Be careful who ye vote for...you just might get it" I sometimes wonder what people have on their minds when they pull that lever. Well, I think I know for a lot but, that's another subject.

Former Martin mayor indicted on federal charges

Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Officials say 8 EKY counties are part of new Promise Zones

Well...is this coincidental or what? Was/is this a trade off? If so, I can see Beshear being in on it but, Hal? I smell something fishy. For one thing, three of the eight Counties, I have a problem with giving them anything because they aren't coal producing Counties.

My prediction, this token amount, if any, will be squandered...I just hope it isn't the extent of the SOAR summit, if so, what a joke.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:33 PM

I'm wondering why they left out Magoffin, which has the second highest unemployment rate in the state. I'm not as informed as I should be, but at first glance, it looks like they targeted a cluster of neighboring counties, negating proximity of employment opportunities for other counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky