Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM

40 posts, read 129,350 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking about taking a trip to KY in a couple weeks. We live in northern AL, but have never visited KY. We have 3 kids ages 6, 4 and 2. What area would be best for us to visit? We would be able to stay for 3 nights, so would have 2 full days.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,857,388 times
I assume you will be coming up I-65 from the south. With only three nights you probably can't do a lot of traveling so, probably something in the western part of our State might be best. I'm in the East so I can't help much...gman...you better take this one.Welcome to Kentucky, I hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:04 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,983,530 times
What are you wanting to do while here? That will make it easier to answer. Are you wanting day trips like museums? Driving trips? Or do you want to chill out and just *be* for a couple of days?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM

40 posts, read 129,350 times
Yes, we would be coming up I-65.

Day trips/activities would be best. Not really into driving trips since they get restless in the car.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,803,811 times
Your children would very probably enjoy Kentucky Down Under, at Horse Cave, right beside I-65. It features a collection of well-cared for Australian birds and animals, along with a beautiful, easily accessed cave (the cave is not stroller-accessible, so plan for that for your little one).. If you continue to Lexington, the Kentucky Horse Park is usually a favorite with kids, as is the Lexington Children's Museum, aka "The Explorium", in downtown Lexington. There are also two reconstructed pioneer forts in central Kentucky, one at Fort Harrod State Park in downtown Harrodsburg while the other is Fort Boonesboro State Park in Clark County beside the Kentucky River.Weather may not be at its best in mid-November, so be sure to pack rain gear and layers for everyone. Of course, if you hit up the caves and inside attractions, you'll be fine.You might want to request free materials from the Kentucky Department of Tourism to help you plan your visit.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,983,530 times
What Craig said...If you are coming in the cool months you will miss out on many of the better attractions in KY, as so many are outdoors. We also have a good zoo in Louisville, the Louisville science museum has a good kids area too.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times
Once you get to Nashville get on I-24 to Cadiz, Ky. go west about 15 miles to the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. www.http://lbl.org/ You'll still have a little driving to do but go south in the LBL to just past the Ky/Tn line to the Homeplace. This is a working farm the way pioneers farmed in the 1800s. The youngsters might enjoy seeing all the farm animals. One place I think they would enjoy is the Woodlands Nature Center. This is a miniature zoo with animals you can find in the wild in the LBL. Here's a list of the animals you'd find there. LBL | Woodlands Nature Station You could always buy each one their own little rod and reel and some worms and take them fishing. Even if it's cool out, you can always count on a bluegill or two going after that worm on your hook. As far as the 2 yr old you could do like my son did for his young son. He bought him a toy fishing pole with a plastic fish so they'll catch something every time. lol There are also hiking trails, places to stop and throw rocks in the lake. There is also the elk and bison prairie where you can drive around and see the elk and bison roaming around and, if you are around Lake Barkley State Resort park around sunset, you'll see plenty of deer in the fields especially down by the marina. Haven't seen a little one yet that doesn't like to see deer. This IS a bad time of year to see things around here, but with a little planning you should have a good trip.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:04 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,381,549 times
The Corvette Museum in Bowling Green is fun if your kids like cars. Right next to 65!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:43 PM

14,670 posts, read 7,970,612 times
Great advice so far. We have lots of caves - Mammoth Cave and Horse Cave being the most famous- kids usually love those, Louisville has the Louisville Zoo, which kids usually really love - and there are rides on that old historic railroad train in Bardstown. Here in Lexington, where I live now, kids love the Children's Museum and the Kentucky Horsepark - oh and the Lexington Children's Theater. Right now, it's still pretty nice and not too cold, but not sure how it will be in a couple of weeks, Kentucky's weather is really bipolar even at the best of times,

Old 11-02-2013, 02:47 PM

14,670 posts, read 7,970,612 times
Also, lots of the farms offer hayrides and visits to the Pumpkin Patch, or Corn Maze...my son use to love that stuff when he was little...I know they do this in October, not sure about November.

Kentucky Pumpkin Patches, Corn Mazes, Hayrides and More, Find Halloween and Fall Fun in Kentucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky